Any Plat level pop scrapper use a flame thrower?

TorQ.7041

@"bethekey.8314" said:I used to be big into flamethrower + elixir gun builds back in the day. Over the past months, I've been messing around with something like this:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vdAQJAqalcThatY1VwdLw6FLsFl4GNFPB4HuBBAdwP8JPA-jJhYABHeCAAY/BOfAAEUGAA

Here's some raw video against plat players if you're interested:

Awesome thank you! Is that the build you normally use in ranked? Or is the brusier on meta battle the best one to use right now?

I know it's probably not optimal since I really feel playing meta is almost always way easier from trying them out.i just want to play something different than mirage etc and something that works. I am g2-g3 mostly but I always test weird stuff. Just don't find the meta stuff fun.

If my goal was to get to the highest rank possible, I wouldn't use a scrapper build. That being said, I would use this build in ranked if the team comps allowed it. You get pretty heavily countered by boon conversion / heavy condition classes like necro. I keep a second engineer with a holo build loaded up ready to swap to in those cases.

I don't have experience playing the bruiser one Chaith runs, but it seems effective too.

@"TorQ.7041" said:Recently got into scrapper. Its so much fun I am loving it. Just wondering if theres a viable flame thrower build? Currently using the battle bruiser build with firearms over tools.

Try my build.http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vdAQFASlUUhatY5VwALQ+FL3Fl4B1D5AYDGhBA9tH7zOA-jJxHQBB8BAAgLAwZ2fwelBAAThis specific build focuses on quick fights/small skirmishes with some great damage numbers, elix u for the added quickness to either get you out of sticky situations, or to finish winning fights swiftly. I wouldn't really try to 1v1 with the build unless you're very comfortable taking the fights and/or your build can beat the enemy's build. for the last few seasons I've held plat with this build, one season getting all the way to rank 113 on the leaderboards. I wouldn't say it's meta, but I also wouldn't really count it out.

@Ghos.1326 said:

@"TorQ.7041" said:Recently got into scrapper. Its so much fun I am loving it. Just wondering if theres a viable flame thrower build? Currently using the battle bruiser build with firearms over tools.

Try my build.
This specific build focuses on quick fights/small skirmishes with some great damage numbers, elix u for the added quickness to either get you out of sticky situations, or to finish winning fights swiftly. I wouldn't really try to 1v1 with the build unless you're very comfortable taking the fights and/or your build can beat the enemy's build. for the last few seasons I've held plat with this build, one season getting all the way to rank 113 on the leaderboards. I wouldn't say it's meta, but I also wouldn't really count it out.

Flamethrower doesn't work in this build.

@bethekey.8314 said:

Try my build.
This specific build focuses on quick fights/small skirmishes with some great damage numbers, elix u for the added quickness to either get you out of sticky situations, or to finish winning fights swiftly. I wouldn't really try to 1v1 with the build unless you're very comfortable taking the fights and/or your build can beat the enemy's build. for the last few seasons I've held plat with this build, one season getting all the way to rank 113 on the leaderboards. I wouldn't say it's meta, but I also wouldn't really count it out.

Flamethrower doesn't work in this build.

Yes, it does. =)

@Ghos.1326 said:

@"bethekey.8314" said:Flamethrower doesn't work in this build.

Yes, it does. =)

I suppose we have different definitions of "work". ¯_(ツ)_/¯

However, I would like to hear how an overwhelmingly condi weapon works in your power build. Stacking might with juggernaut would require long, laughable flamethrower auto attacks that destroy you with retaliation. Extra might is redundant with your traits, sigils, and hammer autos. Stacking stability with juggernaut is also redundant with elixir U, elixir X, and the scrapper trait. Really, it just seems like you think flamethrower is cool and you sacrifice mobility (made up for in traveler's runes) to carry it.

Elixir B is altogether better than flamethrower in your build if the might and stability redundancy is something you want. It even gives you swiftness so you can get better runes.

I'll be happy to tell you why it actually works fairly well in general.As we all know, the last update to the flamethrower was described as the intention to keep burning on your targets. So they added burning to the 2 skill specifically, and the 3 skill. If you read the tooltip for the auto attack for the flamethrower, damage is increased by 10% while burning is applied to your enemies. so that's a 10% damage boost for attacking burning targets. damage boost. damage. doesn't specify, so it's usually a direct damage boost.the ft autos are actually quite nice as well, and here's why: the crit chance. As some of us know, the Firearms trait line focuses exclusively on condition damage and critical chance (damage to a small degree). hence the trait choices i went with in said trait line. High Calibur works well with the ft and the hammer, giving you a flat crit chance boost within range. No Scope works well with the ft and the hammer as well, as it grants you fury when you critical hit within range. Also, you have a chance to bleed with your crits, and that bleeding in turn gives you extra crit chance. You can hold a really steady 70-90% crit chance with the flamethrower/hammer with just these 4 traits alone (2 of these being minor passive traits).The Juggernaut is a very different kind of trait and really changes the playstyle of the engineer. It's not necessarily a "camping" trait, but at the same time, it kind of is. I'd like to think of it more as the trait that wants you to make a specific kit, your flamethrower, act as your "main" weapon instead of your actual weapon being your main weapon. What does this mean? This means it wants you to keep your flamethrower active and in use more often than your actual weapon. This gives you high might and stability uptime, as well as frequent applications of said boons, but not as a defensive measure as it is now. More as a measure of stability (see what i did with the pun there?) of assurance that you will be able to move forward with your onslaught of attacking uninterrupted thanks to stability.Yes, Rune of Traveler to help with the lacking movement speed, but also for the small extra boost in boon uptime.Demolisher's and Mass momentum work pretty well with each other, not to mention also with No Scope due to the extra ferocity that the trait No Scope now also gives you while you have fury. On top of that, 10% extra power for your toughness, and thanks to the bump in all stats from the rune of traveler, you'll sit pretty at about 1600 and some change toughness, which results in 160 or so extra power (.10 x 1600 = 160, quick maths).The trait Perfectly Weighted allows for more stability uptime as well as an overall increase to hammer damage by 10%. I mean, why the hell not? You can also however run Recovery Matrix for a little extra defensive options that can save you in a pinch in low health situations when you heal.Thanks to the Scrapper trait change for Impact Savant, you now also gain a flat 5% damage increase while you have barrier, which synergizes very well with Adaptive Armor, the first GM trait in the Scrapper line. So, whether you're using the hammer or the ft, you're getting 15% extra bonus to damage.Not to mention the very stable and high might uptime, you will be sitting at 25 might very often, so that's another 750 extra power and condition damage slapped on you as well (30 x 25 = 750). so that would pit you at around 2950 or so power frequently, along with a 70-90% crit chance frequently, along with 15% damage boost from interskill/trait modifiers.Now to address this: "Really, it just seems like you think flamethrower is cool and you sacrifice mobility (made up for in traveler's runes) to carry it." If this is your attempt to ridicule me, try harder. <3

I'm glad you seem to care about this a lot and are getting practice pressing other keys than "1" =) I won't spend any more time discussing your build beyond this. I don't do it for you; I do it to hopefully save new engineers from falling into the same pit you did.

@Ghos.1326 said:I'll be happy to tell you why it actually works fairly well in general.As we all know, the last update to the flamethrower was described as the intention to keep burning on your targets. So they added burning to the 2 skill specifically, and the 3 skill. If you read the tooltip for the auto attack for the flamethrower, damage is increased by 10% while burning is applied to your enemies. so that's a 10% damage boost for attacking burning targets. damage boost. damage. doesn't specify, so it's usually a direct damage boost.the ft autos are actually quite nice as well, and here's why: the crit chance. As some of us know, the Firearms trait line focuses exclusively on condition damage and critical chance (damage to a small degree). hence the trait choices i went with in said trait line. High Calibur works well with the ft and the hammer, giving you a flat crit chance boost within range. No Scope works well with the ft and the hammer as well, as it grants you fury when you critical hit within range. Also, you have a chance to bleed with your crits, and that bleeding in turn gives you extra crit chance. You can hold a really steady 70-90% crit chance with the flamethrower/hammer with just these 4 traits alone (2 of these being minor passive traits).Demolisher's and Mass momentum work pretty well with each other, not to mention also with No Scope due to the extra ferocity that the trait No Scope now also gives you while you have fury. On top of that, 10% extra power for your toughness, and thanks to the bump in all stats from the rune of traveler, you'll sit pretty at about 1600 and some change toughness, which results in 160 or so extra power (.10 x 1600 = 160, quick maths).The trait Perfectly Weighted allows for more stability uptime as well as an overall increase to hammer damage by 10%. I mean, why the hell not? You can also however run Recovery Matrix for a little extra defensive options that can save you in a pinch in low health situations when you heal.Thanks to the Scrapper trait change for Impact Savant, you now also gain a flat 5% damage increase while you have barrier, which synergizes very well with Adaptive Armor, the first GM trait in the Scrapper line. So, whether you're using the hammer or the ft, you're getting 15% extra bonus to damage.Not to mention the very stable and high might uptime, you will be sitting at 25 might very often, so that's another 750 extra power and condition damage slapped on you as well (30 x 25 = 750). so that would pit you at around 2950 or so power frequently, along with a 70-90% crit chance frequently, along with 15% damage boost from interskill/trait modifiers.

Simply listing out what traits do is a poor argument in general because it can be done for any build. Many of the traits apply to many different skills and would still be relevant in the absence of flamethrower (i.e. my original point). Also, any condition argument you're making is void. Your build applies 3 conditions: burning, bleeding, and vulnerability. With the current state of the game, this equates to nothing amidst the abundant clears needed to handle scourge and mirage.

@Ghos.1326 said:The Juggernaut is a very different kind of trait and really changes the playstyle of the engineer. It's not necessarily a "camping" trait, but at the same time, it kind of is. I'd like to think of it more as the trait that wants you to make a specific kit, your flamethrower, act as your "main" weapon instead of your actual weapon being your main weapon. What does this mean? This means it wants you to keep your flamethrower active and in use more often than your actual weapon. This gives you high might and stability uptime, as well as frequent applications of said boons, but not as a defensive measure as it is now. More as a measure of stability (see what i did with the pun there?) of assurance that you will be able to move forward with your onslaught of attacking uninterrupted thanks to stability.

If this is some weird flamethrower war roleplay thing, by all means, you do you.

@Ghos.1326 said:Yes, Rune of Traveler to help with the lacking movement speed, but also for the small extra boost in boon uptime.

Other runes do the same, better.

@"bethekey.8314" said:I'm glad you seem to care about this a lot and are getting practice pressing other keys than "1" =) I won't spend any more time discussing your build beyond this. I don't do it for you; I do it to hopefully save new engineers from falling into the same pit you did.

The only pit they would fall into is open-mindedness and actual critical thinking. Something you obviously lack. You spend no time discussing my build because among the information I just gave you, you can't find anything to pick at. If you did, it'd probably be its obvious weakness to conditions and builds that apply conditions at a steady, constant interval. Good job at pretty much admitting you have no clue what you're talking about.

Simply listing out what traits do is a poor argument in general because it can be done for any build. Many of the traits apply to many different skills and would still be relevant in the absence of flamethrower (i.e. my original point). Also, any condition argument you're making is void. Your build applies 3 conditions: burning, bleeding, and vulnerability. With the current state of the game, this equates to nothing amidst the abundant clears needed to handle scourge and mirage.

I gave you information on why the build can work with a power build, as you have previously tried to say it could not, and now that I present information to do so it's void, and the argument is poor? Either you're not very smart or you're too busy following the herd you can't think like the wolf. Failure on your part.Also, the conditions I mentioned were all modifiers to provide boosts to other things, hence why I mentioned them. If you could actually read you'd have seen that. <3

@Ghos.1326 said:The Juggernaut is a very different kind of trait and really changes the playstyle of the engineer. It's not necessarily a "camping" trait, but at the same time, it kind of is. I'd like to think of it more as the trait that wants you to make a specific kit, your flamethrower, act as your "main" weapon instead of your actual weapon being your main weapon. What does this mean? This means it wants you to keep your flamethrower active and in use more often than your actual weapon. This gives you high might and stability uptime, as well as frequent applications of said boons, but not as a defensive measure as it is now. More as a measure of stability (see what i did with the pun there?) of assurance that you will be able to move forward with your onslaught of attacking uninterrupted thanks to stability.

If this is some weird flamethrower war roleplay thing, by all means, you do you.

Roleplay? This was a discussion about the Juggernaut trait and what it does. Now you're just trying too hard to either troll or make yourself look silly. Possibly both.

@Ghos.1326 said:Yes, Rune of Traveler to help with the lacking movement speed, but also for the small extra boost in boon uptime.

Other runes do the same, better.

Which runes? Rune of speed? The only rune I know that gives a little extra boon duration AND movement speed is Traveler. Again, it appears you have no clue what you are talking about.

All in all I would grade your argumentative skills at a 1st-3rd grade level. You have provided no insight as to why my build wouldn't work, have ignored the information I had to force feed your infantile mind, and in this have not provided no counters to anything I said. Woe are the people who fall into the pit of ignorance you willingly dug yourself. Come back later when you're actually going to counter my facts with some of your own.

Archived