To my fellow engi's....

VacuumCleaner.4698

Don't you miss the days of core, before any xpacs were released? I mainly play wvw and I just loved rotating through lots of kits to adapt to the current situation. Deal damage, defend, heal, apply condi, blast fields or cc. Heck I roamed with freaking supply crate, imagine doing that nowadays. I still experiment with core builds to keep having fun, but you have to work so much harder to defeat enemies as you would as holo. You almost feel stupid for not just activating photon forge and bursting people down.

No, not really. Both Scrapper and Holosmith are fun to play. They bring something new to the table. They modify and change my experience as an Engineer player. There is room for improvement in the realm of Scrapper but overall, I don't miss the days before the expansion. You can still play a build that rotates through various kits to adapt to the current situation. Most of what you mention isn't necessarily gone.

Changed some, but not completely gone.

I roam these days with this Scrapper build, and it's pretty fun to use against both players and npcs alike.

Only problem for me is my gear isn't up-to-date and I can't afford the Superior Runes of Speed from the TP, so I just use SR of Rage instead that's for my PvE content. So yeah, it's not as OP as Mirage or anything, but it works pretty well and is just another option in case you wanted one. :)

@"Okami Amaterasu.9237" said:I roam these days with this Scrapper build, and it's pretty fun to use against both players and npcs alike.

Only problem for me is my gear isn't up-to-date and I can't afford the Superior Runes of Speed from the TP, so I just use SR of Rage instead that's for my PvE content. So yeah, it's not as OP as Mirage or anything, but it works pretty well and is just another option in case you wanted one. :)

hello! :) can you link your build again? at least it says the link is broken and nothing opens :open_mouth:

@migcun.5240 said:

@"Okami Amaterasu.9237" said:I roam these days with
, and it's pretty fun to use against both players and npcs alike.

hello! :) can you link your build again? at least it says the link is broken and nothing opens :open_mouth:

Ack, okay here it is, hopefully!

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vdMQFASncoClYh1UBWWBsehFIk6LAemqhOP3zANcAWj0A-j1xEQBQ4BAsOdE5Y/BAcBAwoSw9p+zCV+BA-w

@Elmo Benchwarmer.3025 said:I do indeed. Scrapper and Holosmith are very lacklustre compared to the uniqueness of the Engineering Kit playstyle. A shame we can't even have a baseline Grenadier trait to experience one of the most iconic Engineer builds of old.

To be fair, ground targeting all of your attacks is really frustrating. The only reason I outperform most other holo players in PvE is because I can ground target and run at the same time, allowing me to continue DPS'ing while a boss or enemy moves.

Nope, there was also the Option to prevent the piano-Play: just Switch to another class. Now instead of another class you Switch to another elite Spec, so not much Change there, except that you can Play Holo AND swap through all your kits at the same time if you want! :D so it got even better than in the early days! :)

@VacuumCleaner.4698 said:Don't you miss the days of core, before any xpacs were released?

As a core engineer main since 2013, I do miss those days to a certain degree.

I miss the days where core engineer was the least seen profession in any game mode. People who played it were either really terrible or really good, though the good ones were very rare. We had many great engineers like Teldo and Yishis. Yishis is the one who motivated me even back when I first started playing engineer to learn how to use kits. I spent hours, days, weeks and even months practicing the engineer's kits and with every kit build comes plenty of combos and an absurd amount of skill memorization that only the most psychotic of engineer players could bare to memorize and execute them all perfectly.

I have nothing against scrapper, I play it as a tanky support specialization and I enjoy playing it as much as core engineer. Out of all the PoF specializations, Holosmith is the one I despise the most. Not only did it ruin engineer's theme, but it also ruined the reputation the engineer had. All of the build crafting, kit knowledge, skill cooldown memorization, completely wasted and gone thanks to the Holosmith. Very rarely do I see someone else playing core engineer and the ones I see range from mediocre to terrible. Lots of dedication is required to be good with core engineer, too bad Holosmith ruined it all and every single engineer player nowadays is a Holosmith.

@Hoodie.1045 said:

@VacuumCleaner.4698 said:Don't you miss the days of core, before any xpacs were released?

As a core engineer main since 2013, I do miss those days to a certain degree.

I miss the days where core engineer was the least seen profession in any game mode. People who played it were either really terrible or really good, though the good ones were very rare. We had many great engineers like Teldo and Yishis. Yishis is the one who motivated me even back when I first started playing engineer to learn how to use kits. I spent hours, days, weeks and even months practicing the engineer's kits and with every kit build comes plenty of combos and an absurd amount of skill memorization that only the most psychotic of engineer players could bare to memorize and execute them all perfectly.

I have nothing against scrapper, I play it as a tanky support specialization and I enjoy playing it as much as core engineer. Out of all the PoF specializations, Holosmith is the one I despise the most. Not only did it ruin engineer's theme, but it also ruined the reputation the engineer had. All of the build crafting, kit knowledge, skill cooldown memorization, completely wasted and gone thanks to the Holosmith. Very rarely do I see someone else playing core engineer and the ones I see range from mediocre to terrible. Lots of dedication is required to be good with core engineer, too bad Holosmith ruined it all and every single engineer player nowadays is a Holosmith.

I wouldn't say holosmith ruined engineer.

I would say powercreep did. Core engineer is very well-suited to vanilla GW2. But as each expansion pack as released, it has become increasingly irrelevant, because it was designed for a meta that no longer exists. Its skills and traits were never able to translate to the new powercreep, unlike thief, warrior, or guardian. Holosmith happened to be a bandaid to prop up the class, but there are still lots of issues that need to be addressed with the core class.

I like roaming as a scrapper. Tanky, decent damage, decent group utility.

I think the problem with core kit engi is that none of the kits are 'unfair' enough. A lot of kit skills are pretty underwhelming by today's pvp standards, when compared to other meta classes. The only good defensive skill is the block on tool kit, but obviously that's not enough to keep yourself from getting one-shot.

The boon meta isn't helping kit engi either, because kits don't give you that many boons. Whatever boons you want, you're better off with elixirs, especially after the buffs to them. Why rotate between kits when you can simply give yourself might, fury and quickness with elixirs and auto your enemies to death?

@Dace.8173 said:No, not really. Both Scrapper and Holosmith are fun to play. They bring something new to the table. They modify and change my experience as an Engineer player. There is room for improvement in the realm of Scrapper but overall, I don't miss the days before the expansion. You can still play a build that rotates through various kits to adapt to the current situation. Most of what you mention isn't necessarily gone.

Changed some, but not completely gone.

Elixir-Infused Bombs are gone. I cry for everyday about it.

@Vagrant.7206 said:I wouldn't say holosmith ruined engineer.

I would say powercreep did. Core engineer is very well-suited to vanilla GW2. But as each expansion pack as released, it has become increasingly irrelevant, because it was designed for a meta that no longer exists. Its skills and traits were never able to translate to the new powercreep, unlike thief, warrior, or guardian. Holosmith happened to be a bandaid to prop up the class, but there are still lots of issues that need to be addressed with the core class.

Probably a little of both. If they could have introduced both elites without having to gut core to make them more attractive, perhaps. If they could have left core alone and balanced the elites alone instead of nerfing core to tone down the over powered elites by extension, perhaps. But they didn't. If it were a matter of simply leaving kits stagnant in isolation that would be one thing, but it's been a lot of little things chipped away from the whole before elites even landed, then the elites, and everyone else who isn't on an engineer being left in relatively much better spots. All that and then expecting the broken mess left in the aftermath to compete against just about any of them.

Holosmith isn't so much a band-aid, it's twenty four karat electroplate around stool so loose it wouldn't be able to hold a shape without it.

Archived