The size of mounts

The Charr (and I believe the Norn) look completely over sized when on top of their mounts. My Charr character at half height had a mount smaller than a max height Asura. This lead to my Charr completely covering the seat on the roller beetle, while the Asura looked like they were ready to fall off of their father's bike. Honestly I'm probably blowing this out of proportions, but some mount sizes that actually fit the size of the characters would be nice.

• Like 5

@WeftinDelines.7850 said:The Charr (and I believe the Norn) look completely over sized when on top of their mounts. My Charr character at half height had a mount smaller than a max height Asura. This lead to my Charr completely covering the seat on the roller beetle, while the Asura looked like they were ready to fall off of their father's bike. Honestly I'm probably blowing this out of proportions, but some mount sizes that actually fit the size of the characters would be nice.

This turns out to be directly connected to how they were able to manage mounts and sitting in chairs in the first place.

Basically, they either hold the size of the mount fixed and adjust the size of the character to fit or maintain the size of the character and grow|shrink the mount to fit. (I believe they actually took a compromise route.) The first ends up looking better more often in more situations; the latter ends up terrible with the tallest possible Norn & Charr., and tiny asura looking, well, as you say.

To compare, imagine taking one of the screenshots of the raptor from the wiki, add 50% to its height (to match the tallest norn relative to shortest human) and then placing it into your game. It would dominate the screen.

In other words, like any compromise, it's not perfect.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not sure if anyone already said this, but I was on my kinda short Sylvari and my mount was much smaller than the same mount that an average sized human female had. So they do scale but maybe the oversizing was intentional?

Btw the Asura father's bike comment is fucking hilarious.

Edit: Just realized that the scaling must be due to height. Don't think they'll change this, so enjoy your mis-sized mounts! LOL

@Biff.5312 said:I think it's also kind of appropriate that Charr look ungainly on mounts. They're large and can run on all fours themselves, so mounting for them is pretty unnatural. Imagine a cougar on horseback. It wouldn't look comfy.

Still waiting on a Charr car skin for mah Raptor. I have Gems earmarked ANET, please make it happen.(and no, we have enough fancy Jackals, don't make it a skin for a mount whose only use is to go through sand portals)

• 2 years later...

The Size of Mounts is really something the Devs should look into, i kind of regret maining a Charr and probably never will play Charr or Norn again, the Mounts seem much too small for Charr/Norn, no matter how you set the Height Slider.. its always looks ridiculous, what a shame.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

It's not so bad for female Norn, but otherwise, yeah, male Norn, and both Charr genders look awful on their mounts.

I think it's because they all have to hunch somewhat, and just look really uncomfortable.

But then, the Charr hunch puts me off playing them full stop. I don't understand why there are no fully upright Charr, like there were in the first game.

And don't get me started on the Charr greatsword waddle 🤣

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed. My ranger charr is extremely big sized (usually wearing s huge dragon helmet with horns)  and makes the griffon look like a little puppy, hence I usually go around with raptor with him unless im climbing/descending a friking mountain. 

My female thief norn is the smallest size available so shes ok with it. Cant say the same about my norn revenant though.

Edited by William.3871

On 11/14/2021 at 7:31 AM, horus.6057 said:

The Size of Mounts is really something the Devs should look into, i kind of regret maining a Charr and probably never will play Charr or Norn again, the Mounts seem much too small for Charr/Norn, no matter how you set the Height Slider.. its always looks ridiculous, what a shame.

Norn isn't too bad with the flying mounts. Doesn't seem too unstable, lol 

13 hours ago, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

Wasn't a consideration when I made my norn guardian back in 2012 😕

I honestly didn't think about looking too big on mounts either. I just wanted to do the norn story, and I'm not usually a fan of huge characters. I was really looking to make a buff human with a different story.

Do any of you figure it was for technical reasons that Anet chose to make mount sizes corresponding with character height rather than character race?  I just can't imagine Anet wouldn't realize how goofy Charr and Norn look on most mounts but rather didn't have much of a choice in the matter.

Edited by The Greyhawk.9107
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...