Dismounting displaces my character forward — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Dismounting displaces my character forward

Viewing vistas has become a mortal contest of will i be flung off the cliffside when I click on the vista while mounted, due to it dismounting me, which flings me forward and more often than not kills me

Comments

• You can always dismount before the Vista, or face the other direction before dismounting.
    You can try a -repair of the client (instructions found in the Wiki [link above]).

Good luck.

• I get this if I'm riding Mr Buns, which did on one occasion result in the death by falling damage of my character. (The one on a pillar near Augury Rock, where you stand on a small area, and of course I got displaced forward into the empty air, and it was far enough down that Cleopatra Aegyptus cratered, as it might have appeared in the Unreal Tournament combat logs. Of course, I was watching the cinematic, and came back from it to find my character dead at the bottom of the pillar.)

@Biff.5312 said:
    Exercise your whimsy.

• kharmin.7683kharmin.7683 Member ✭✭✭✭

I don't think that this is a bug? Inconvenient, sure. At any rate, I've taught myself to tap the key to go backwards just as I dismount. Just a little tap does it.

I am a very casual player.
    Very.
    Casual.

• Skotlex.7580Skotlex.7580 Member ✭✭✭

As far as I can tell, auto-dismounting when pressing f tries to displace your character towards the source (to make it easier to talk to npcs and the like). I think it's a good feature, just not that accurate at times.

Perhaps it'd be a lot easier to understand how this "launching" thing works so you can make it work for you rather than against you. It helps completely stopping with your mount on top of the vista rather than pressing f while going at full speed towards it, for example.

• @kharmin.7683 said:
    I don't think that this is a bug? Inconvenient, sure. At any rate, I've taught myself to tap the key to go backwards just as I dismount. Just a little tap does it.

It's a feature for me. I like being able to dismount and have some forward motion. It makes it easier to reach ledges, start gathering sooner, and sometimes escape an aoe filed that would have put the mount into combat.

For vistas and hero points on a "peak," sure, it can be tricky. But it's worth learning how to dismount so that you land where you want.

"Face the facts. Then act on them. It's ...the only doctrine I have to offer you, & it's harder than you'd think, because I swear humans seem hardwired to do anything but. Face the facts. Don't pray, don't wish, ...FACE THE FACTS. THEN act." — Quellcrist Falconer

• @Steve The Cynic.3217 said:
    I get this if I'm riding Mr Buns, which did on one occasion result in the death by falling damage of my character. (The one on a pillar near Augury Rock, where you stand on a small area, and of course I got displaced forward into the empty air, and it was far enough down that Cleopatra Aegyptus cratered, as it might have appeared in the Unreal Tournament combat logs. Of course, I was watching the cinematic, and came back from it to find my character dead at the bottom of the pillar.)

The bun is a sadistic hopping boi. For real though nothing has made me laugh harder in this game than going into a vista cinematic that includes my character free falling to her death (except maybe watching people die trying to revive someone in quicksand)

At any rate, just being aware of it is definitely the answer. Also, oops, didn't mean to post this as a bug xD Can you tell I'm new around here? Thank you all for positive feedback nonetheless, I like this forum

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.