Revenant pros/cons

Droontar.1542

Hi, I've leveled a time ago a Rev but didn't use it very much and now, before playing a couple of sPvP matches I'm starting to like it a lot (lore, playstile...).

My question is, at what things Rev (all elites included) is good and bad at? I'll do most of my time fractals (I will not do raid at all) , WvW (solo, small group and zerg) and some spvp so, I'm not sure how much viable is to do content at "high" level performance comparing to other professions.

Revenant is good in almost every game mode. In PvP, you play power Shiro, the only PvP build worth playing. It's a +1 or an outnumbering build that focuses on bursting low health targets, similar to how d/p daredevil bursts targets by backstabbing them. However, the build lacks good condition cleanses. It has some cleanses, but they're not enough to save you against a condition scourge or any other condition build. Unless you have a firebrand on your team, you shouldn't be fighting scourges in 1v1s.

Renegade is good in PvE for one main reason: alacrity. Surprisingly enough, chronomancer isn't the only specialization that can give alacrity to allies. If you're planning on doing fractals and your group is lacking a chronomancer, then don't be afraid to switch to renegade and give allies alacrity. I'm not saying that Shiro isn't good in fractals, it's just that alacrity benefits everyone in the group whereas power Shiro only benefits you. Renegade has lower damage compared to other builds, but it's worth playing for the alacrity which helps your group clear fractals quicker.

@Hoodie.1045 said:Revenant is good in almost every game mode. In PvP, you play power Shiro, the only PvP build worth playing. It's a +1 or an outnumbering build that focuses on bursting low health targets, similar to how d/p daredevil bursts targets by backstabbing them. However, the build lacks good condition cleanses. It has some cleanses, but they're not enough to save you against a condition scourge or any other condition build. Unless you have a firebrand on your team, you shouldn't be fighting scourges in 1v1s.

Renegade is good in PvE for one main reason: alacrity. Surprisingly enough, chronomancer isn't the only specialization that can give alacrity to allies. If you're planning on doing fractals and your group is lacking a chronomancer, then don't be afraid to switch to renegade and give allies alacrity. I'm not saying that Shiro isn't good in fractals, it's just that alacrity benefits everyone in the group whereas power Shiro only benefits you. Renegade has lower damage compared to other builds, but it's worth playing for the alacrity which helps your group clear fractals quicker.

The pros of PvE is not just alacrity, Rev has multiple party wide buffs like assassin's presence, soulcleave's summit, and wrought-iron will (the last two being from the Renegade spec). Heal Renegade/Alacrity Power Renegade is gaining traction in raids and fractals for its reliability as well as the above mentioned trait buffs/skill.

@A Big Black Bear.4320 said:

@Hoodie.1045 said:Revenant is good in almost every game mode. In PvP, you play power Shiro, the only PvP build worth playing. It's a +1 or an outnumbering build that focuses onThe pros of PvE is not just alacrity, Rev has multiple party wide buffs like assassin's presence, soulcleave's summit, and wrought-iron will (the last two being from the Renegade spec). Heal Renegade/Alacrity Power Renegade is gaining traction in raids and fractals for its reliability as well as the above mentioned trait buffs/skill.

I have to admit Diviner Renegade with Kalla/X is fun to play thanks to switching legends so no more Ventari/Shiro all the time. And Overall it feels good to play

I'm going to speak to Fractals here since WvW/PvP is far to subjective of a conversation that's 100% based on somebody's individual skill.I'm also not going to talk about things it can do like "alacrity!!!" because you know all this already from reading tooltips. :bleep_bloop:

Pros:

• Two viable roles: Diviner's Ren and dps Zerker Herald. (Somewhat of a 3rd role as a straight heal renegade, buuuuut this is not meta and is more used for playing with friends or carrying really bad pug groups via copious over-healing.)
  • Diviner's Ren (or zerker ren if using a chrono) is a build used in most top CM speed run record attempts due to the op amount of healing provided by Soulcleave without sacrificing dps stats for healing power.
  • Works with quickbrand or chrono.
  • Carries cc.
  • DPS Herald can carry group Fury, which is important if your group does not have a druid or has a pug one that is clueless.
  • Super easy dps rotation.

Cons:

• Not exactly a top, top-tier meta choice, so you may have trouble with LFG elitism.
  • If playing Renegade, no group fury and no sustainable group condition removal for Afflicted.
  • Very low Burst dps.
  • Forces dps Soulbeasts to bring spirits. (and almost requires the presence of one to justify replacing a druid)
  • No Spotter (although this is less important in fractals due to Potion bonuses, several meta dps specs do still build around having Spotter.)

Archived