Question about swimming speed.

Hello everyone.First of all, I am sorry I have to come to the forums, hat in hand so to speak, to ask this question. I have looked everywhere for the answer and could not find it. I am awful at math so it is possible that the answer was buried in equations that are greek to me.

More than several of my characters have the Superior Rune of the Traveler slotted because of the 25% movement speed in the sixth tier. I also slot a seventh rune in the breathing apparatus because I always assumed that it worked the same way underwater as well .

I recently got one of those new-fangled swim-speed infusions..a plus 19.

I know that if there are two swim speed bonuses, the game takes the fastest one and that is the bonus used. I also know swiftness works underwater and if you have a power that gives swiftness underwater that is what you should be using.

But for the characters that do not have access to underwater swiftness, 25% coming from the Rune is faster than 19% coming from the infusion.

Soooo....two questions.

(1) Does the rune's sixth tier 25% movement speed work underwater like I thought it did????

(2) If so, should I not be using the infusion on characters that have the 25% Rune movement bonus?

Thank you all in advance.

Lisa-Very befuddled...and does not like being befuddled :)

@"Hoodie.1045" said:

1. Yes, it does work underwater.

2. Movement speed bonuses do not stack with the rune of the traveler. There's no noticeable difference when using movement speed bonuses like swiftness, quickness and even swim-speed infusions with the 25% movement speed you get from the rune.

That is not quite correct. Most movement speed do not stack. The exception is swimming infusion and https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Rising_Momentum ). Also quickness has nothing to do with movement speed, that is for skill activation speed.

With +25% to start with you need a +11(actually a +12 is needed but a +11 is only 0.14 units per second short of the cap) swimming infusion to reach the speed cap while out of combat.

To reach the cap while in combat you would need a total of +90%(superspeed alone or superior run of speed + swiftness + 30% swimming infusion).

Archived