Example of Shadow magic of Zhaitan — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Example of Shadow magic of Zhaitan

Zhaitan is the dragon of Death and Shadow
can anyone give me example of Shadow magic of Zhaitan?
according to the wiki, Zhaitans abilities are "Raise Undead, Poison Cloud , Putrid Explosion, Spray Poison and Summon Tendrils"
do you think Poison cloud is considered shadow ability??
i remember NPC (maybe Trehearne (claw island mission) mention about dark clouds above fleet of undead making difficult to see and attack

Comments

• Tyson.5160Tyson.5160 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Kevin Ardinez.8906 said:
    according to the wiki, Zhaitans abilities are "Raise Undead, Poison Cloud , Putrid Explosion, Spray Poison and Summon Tendrils"
    i remember NPC (maybe Trehearne (claw island mission) mention about dark clouds above fleet of undead making difficult to see and attack

We have been speaking about this topic for a while now. I basically asked the same question in an AFC, unfortunately didn’t get a response. The Shadow magic sphere is a very elusive magic. I went through all the mob data on Risen and found a handful of Risen that use Shadow abilities, not including a shadow step( this might be included in Shadow?) I think it was called shadow orb. I suggested that maybe Zhaitan used Shadow Magic to corrupt the god statues in Orr, but my evidence for it is very small and inconclusive. Unfortunately much like Zhaitan’s weakness, we will need a dev response to sort this out.

• Well there was that one time when Zhaitan had his invisible minions infiltrate the airship where we were performing tests on the eye. On Claw Island Treaharne mentioned Zhaitan's ships "traveling under the cloak of stealth". Also I've seen someone mention (although i myself do not remember if it's true or not) that often when Risen appear they just suddenly materialize surrounded by shadow tendrils - like thieves coming out of stealth.

• ugrakarma.9416ugrakarma.9416 Member ✭✭✭✭

It seems that this "shadow" does not refer to shadow magic, but only the old association of death with 'obscure things'.

Tannhauser Engineer(SoS) | Atlantean Sword | Khel the Undead

• @ugrakarma.9416 said:
    It seems that this "shadow" does not refer to shadow magic, but only the old association of death with 'obscure things'.

That wouldn't make sense, given that the very line telling us about it, is that the Elder Dragons have "two spheres of influence", and Mordremoth's is Plant and Mind while Zhaitan's is Death and Shadow. Would indicate both spheres are about magic.

@ugrakarma.9416 said:

The problem is this shadow sphere of magical influence hasn’t been properly explored or defined. I imagine the devs gave Mordremoth two spheres of influence in order to provide a weakness, then thought oh we gave a second sphere to Mordremoth, we need to give Zhaitan a second sphere as well, let’s go Shadow. I mean it kinda makes sense that it would be Shadow, however they never really described what that actually means.

• I just assume Shadow refers to the times he uses stealth, well his minions. We see it most clearly with the wraiths in the story, and how Risen seem to spawn in with a shadowy teleport. What we don't see is evidence of the sphere being passed on to any of the others after Zhaitan dies.

• Klypto.1703Klypto.1703 Member ✭✭✭

@Eekasqueak.7850 said:
    I just assume Shadow refers to the times he uses stealth, well his minions. We see it most clearly with the wraiths in the story, and how Risen seem to spawn in with a shadowy teleport. What we don't see is evidence of the sphere being passed on to any of the others after Zhaitan dies.

Its been absorbed by the unnamed dragon and has attended every ninja parade in tyria since zhaitans death. Its so good with shadow magic it is never seen in the ninja parade.

@Eekasqueak.7850 said:
    I just assume Shadow refers to the times he uses stealth, well his minions. We see it most clearly with the wraiths in the story, and how Risen seem to spawn in with a shadowy teleport. What we don't see is evidence of the sphere being passed on to any of the others after Zhaitan dies.

Yes, I theorized that Risen teleported or spawned into location using shadow magic too. It would be nice if we see another dragon play with the Shadow magic sphere so we know what sort of influence it has.

What has also been theorized is that the shadow of the dragon was infused with Shadow Magic from Mordremoth strictly by looking at his abilities in Point of No Return.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Shadow_Tendril

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Malformed_Shadow

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Smothering_Shadow

We haven’t seen Primordus play with Shadow magic unfortunately either.

• Eekasqueak.7850Eekasqueak.7850 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 9, 2019

@Tyson.5160 said:

@Eekasqueak.7850 said:

Yes, I theorized that Risen teleported or spawned into location using shadow magic too. It would be nice if we see another dragon play with the Shadow magic sphere so we know what sort of influence it has.

What has also been theorized is that the shadow of the dragon was infused with Shadow Magic from Mordremoth strictly by looking at his abilities in Point of No Return.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Shadow_Tendril

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Malformed_Shadow

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Smothering_Shadow

We haven’t seen Primordus play with Shadow magic unfortunately either.

I forgot about the shadow of the dragon, but yeah overall it's the least shown sphere so far.

Well least shown that's actually been named.

• I always associated "Shadow Magic" with Dark Smoke/Mist/cloud that Blind enemies and hide allies (Like the combo "Smoke Fields")
    similar thinking with "Fire magic" with flames that Burn enemies and cleanse Condis

I always associated "Shadow Magic" with Dark Smoke/Mist/cloud that Blind enemies and hide allies (Like the combo "Smoke Fields")
    similar thinking with "Fire magic" with flames that Burn enemies and cleanse Condis

I mean it makes sense Elementalists use fire and ice and Primordus uses fire magic and Jormag uses ice magic. We have thief that uses several different skills that have shadow in its name as well as traits. Is this the same magic that Zhaitan used? I’m not sure.

• Hannelore.8153Hannelore.8153 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 14, 2019

Shadow magic is the magic of stealth and subterfuge. Zhaitan used these abilities many times--commonly associated with Mesmers and Theives-- including at one point cloaking an entire fleet of bone ships, and at another trying to destroy Fort Trinity by infilitration.

This is never confirmed in lore, but if you look at Personal Story, Zhaitan used more trickery than any other dragon by far. He was the only dragon to not directly approach problems and instead try to take them out indirectly--and the only time he shows up in game is when he's pressed to directly intervene, in contrast to dragons like Modremoth and Kralkatorrik who were literally everywhere.

@Tyson.5160 said:

We have been speaking about this topic for a while now. I basically asked the same question in an AFC, unfortunately didn’t get a response. The Shadow magic sphere is a very elusive magic. I went through all the mob data on Risen and found a handful of Risen that use Shadow abilities, not including a shadow step( this might be included in Shadow?) I think it was called shadow orb. I suggested that maybe Zhaitan used Shadow Magic to corrupt the god statues in Orr, but my evidence for it is very small and inconclusive. Unfortunately much like Zhaitan’s weakness, we will need a dev response to sort this out.

Zhaitan's weakness doesn't need a dev response, its incredibly obvious. Caladbolg was a weapon forged by a purified dragon champion with an opposite sphere of influence to him (Life versus Death), similar to Primordus and Jormag.

The whole point of LS3 was to point out these counter-acting spheres of influence..

Daisuki[SUKI] Founder | Mains Mariyuuna, Water mage |+
    Akarissa, Auratashi, Hanamariko, Kanasuki, Kokonomori, Korisaki, Manakuro, Sarehtori, Terakura, Yukianna
    Alice Ryven, Alisha Kei, Baxia Tres, Caelia Flamestrike, Kiryka Darkwillow, Rikka Rowe, Thea Lux

@Hannelore.8153 said:
    Shadow magic is the magic of stealth and subterfuge. Zhaitan used these abilities many times--commonly associated with Mesmers and Theives-- including at one point cloaking an entire fleet of bone ships, and at another trying to destroy Fort Trinity by infilitration.

This is never confirmed in lore, but if you look at Personal Story, Zhaitan used more trickery than any other dragon by far. He was the only dragon to not directly approach problems and instead try to take them out indirectly--and the only time he shows up in game is when he's pressed to directly intervene, in contrast to dragons like Modremoth and Kralkatorrik who were literally everywhere.

@Tyson.5160 said:

Zhaitan's weakness doesn't need a dev response, its incredibly obvious. Caladbolg was a weapon forged by a purified dragon champion with an opposite sphere of influence to him (Life versus Death), similar to Primordus and Jormag.

The whole point of LS3 was to point out these counter-acting spheres of influence..

We got a dev response on Zhaitan’s weakness...

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/38094/zhaitan-weakness#latest

I was stating we would need a dev response to sort out shadow magic properly. Unless they explain it in the living world episode. A lot of those abilities could counted as Risen thieves and mesmers as well.

• @Hannelore.8153 said:

The problem is twofold: We see risen using guardian magic, elementalist magic, and really all other kinds of forms of magic. How do we know these cloaking is Zhaitan's abilities, and not simply the risen's abilities from before corruption?

Secondly, Zhaitan himself never shows use of these abilities; he himself never stealths or creates illusions. He might not show up until the end, but it's not like he goes invisible. Jormag and Primordus are never seen until you reach the heart of their domains, for example, just like Zhaitan.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.