Horrible Design - Chasing Tales: Tools of the Trade

Muusic.2967

@Muusic.2967 said:Why would an achievement for a Scepter require you to wear a Focus? ATTN: Anet...there are other builds for Scepter that DON'T use a focus, why do I have to either nerf my existing build or respec to one I don't like?

It’s an achievement only requiring so many kills. Chances are there were weapons people tried to complete which were not a part of any of their builds as well.

You don't have to "nerf" anything to simply equip a focus for a few kills, and then un-equip it. It's an achievement, not a change in your way of life. I promise you will live to tell your grand kids the story. Well...unless you die. Then I guess I would be a liar.

Let me know if you die, ok? I am concerned about me being a liar now...

@Muusic.2967 said:Why would an achievement for a Scepter require you to wear a Focus? ATTN: Anet...there are other builds for Scepter that DON'T use a focus, why do I have to either nerf my existing build or respec to one I don't like?

Join one of the 2 metas, be done with the achievement in like 5 minutes. Seriously, there is things to complain about, this is certainly not one of them...

@Astralporing.1957 said:Still, that is a good question. Why scepter achievement requires focus? It's not a focus achievement...

Similar to how Chasing Tales: Tried and True requires a sword and shield (shield achievement), it's an arbitrary achievement decision. Scepter+Focus are not unique here.

Maybe certain weapon achievements are designed to be completed with certain classes or simply as flavor. Just how there is some very unique achievements, while most are very streamlined (kill x amount of enemies).

The point is though: it is not of significance and certainly not in any way more challenging or time consuming, especially with 2 metas on a 1 hour cycle which allow anyone to complete even the kill 60 enemies achievements within 10 minutes.

@"Kreejaffa.3682" said:You don't have to "nerf" anything to simply equip a focus for a few kills, and then un-equip it. It's an achievement, not a change in your way of life. I promise you will live to tell your grand kids the story. Well...unless you die. Then I guess I would be a liar.

Let me know if you die, ok? I am concerned about me being a liar now...

It isn't a matter of dying. Just that when a player chooses a specific skin because they want to use it on their weapon they should be able to play the toon how they usually play. I can think of very few builds that use a scepter/focus combination now days that are preferable over the options, and those builds are more for fractal/raid than the open world in which you have to complete the achievement. Yes, giving up my 4 and 5 skills isn't a matter of life or death it's just a stupid requirement and sacrifices a lot of my CC ability to contribute towards the meta.

@"Muusic.2967" said:It isn't a matter of dying. Just that when a player chooses a specific skin because they want to use it on their weapon they should be able to play the toon how they usually play. I can think of very few builds that use a scepter/focus combination now days that are preferable over the options, and those builds are more for fractal/raid than the open world in which you have to complete the achievement. Yes, giving up my 4 and 5 skills isn't a matter of life or death it's just a stupid requirement and sacrifices a lot of my CC ability to contribute towards the meta.

Again though, it's an achievement. You usually have to do things out of the norm to get achievements in most games. I realize not all of them are like that, but we are talking about getting a few kills with a different weapon. It's not a requirement to continue playing. Your account will not be deleted if you do not do this. It's a "Hey, go do this, and then go back to normal after 10 minutes or less" kind of thing. It will have no life altering bearing on the game. You are simply changing a weapon to compete a random task, and then changing back to what you normally use. Almost like wearing a funny hat to complete a quest or something. Once the quest is done, you take off the funny hat.

ANet never promised anyone that you would be able to get every single achievement in the game on 1 character, using only 1 profession, with only 1 specific type of weapon combo. There is variety in the game, and in the achievements, and sometimes that means doing things differently. It does not mean you have to continue doing it differently after the achievement, it just means if you want the shiny at the end of the rainbow, you will jump through the hoops to get it. Remember, a shiny sometimes requires effort beyond normal. But we do it...for the shiny!

And, just for the record, in the time it took me to type this, someone could have made the required amount of kills in game for that specific achievement, and then been done with it and went on with life. It's not that bad, I promise.

I felt that most of Chasing Tales were slapped together in the last possible second with no thought to what they entail. Why pair a "kill 60 branded" with "kill 30 enemies" achievements? They are guaranteed to be redundant. At least I can kinda see the mainhand/offhand combination as roleplaying attempt (following the tale of person who used that combination).

On the bright side, you simply need to have those weapons/weapon combinations equipped. You don't even need to be attacking enemies with them. Want 20 knockdowns/pulls on a hammer? Raptor mount pull counts. Low damage weapon for kills? Tag mobs in a zerg (north meta is great for this) with AE utilities. Silly? Sure. But at least you don't need to land the killing blow with the said weapon.

@"Zania.8461" said:I felt that most of Chasing Tales were slapped together in the last possible second with no thought to what they entail. Why pair a "kill 60 branded" with "kill 30 enemies" achievements? They are guaranteed to be redundant. At least I can kinda see the mainhand/offhand combination as roleplaying attempt (following the tale of person who used that combination).

On the bright side, you simply need to have those weapons/weapon combinations equipped. You don't even need to be attacking enemies with them. Want 20 knockdowns/pulls on a hammer? Raptor mount pull counts. Low damage weapon for kills? Tag mobs in a zerg (north meta is great for this) with AE utilities. Silly? Sure. But at least you don't need to land the killing blow with the said weapon.

Also why some weapons require 30 and others require 60 kills.

At first I thought it was 2h requires 60 and 1h for 30 but that is not true. Both sword and warhorn require 60 but axe is 30. Maybe it's because some can be done at the same time? Nope not it either. Hammer also requires 60.

• 2 weeks later...

@Zania.8461 said:I felt that most of Chasing Tales were slapped together in the last possible second with no thought to what they entail.

I absolutely agree. No race event and no Bounties cinched it for me because there's a lot of polish in other areas. I also think there were plans to use the huge underwater area somehow that got canned at the last minute as well as the third of the map thats unexplorable but shows as undiscovered.

Archived