[Suggestion] Tripwire Flare Trap

Rydelkow.4625

I would like to be added a trap for detecting enemies in WvW.

Tripwire Flare Trap

Double-click to consume.Use to gain a Tripwire Flare Trap. This trap constantly applies "Marked" to players in a large radius around them when activated. Activated trap last for 5 seconds. Costs 10 supply to deploy.Effect Radius: 1200

Marked

• The effect applied by the trap last 30 seconds.
  • Shows the player on the minimap for the team that placed the trap.

Such a trap would be very useful for scouting large objects such as Keeps, and helping to early detecting enemies attacking camps.What do you think of such a trap? Scouts would certainly appreciate the possibility of having such a tool.

@Korgov.7645 said:The problem is that there is no counter play for traps. This trap in particular allows teams to leave large areas of maps unguarded - like Watchtowers.

Of course there should be restrictions on using it the same as other WvW traps.

• Disappears when the player that placed the trap leaves the map.
  • Each player can have one of each type of WvW trap deployed at a time; setting a second one replaces the first.

This means that one player can only place one such trap. Considering the size of the map and the range of this trap, I do not think it is much. The counter play for traps on WvW traps are the same: before the group goes 1 man to trigger any traps. You can also try to avoid the main paths.

If I did buy into that counter play tactic, traps are still a passive and unfun mechanism.

I would enjoy a flare as a trick instead. A scout would ground target a group enemy players, launch up a flare which applies of Marked on enemies within the area for 30 seconds. With a text added into map chat counting enemies caught under the flare when launched: _12:34 <Flare> 23 green invaders spotted at [O'del Academy]_. Supply cost, cast time, recharge, range, radius and line-of-sight negotiable.

A quality of life change. Especially if the scout is inexperienced and chat would otherwise go like:scout: inccommander: where and how many?scout: keep, help!commander: which keep? and how many enemies?scout: middle keep, at least 100 enemiescommander: it cannot be 100, but I am on my way

• 1 year later...

This is called... scouts. And actually using words in the map chat somewhat resembling the english language. That they are inexperienced is irrelevant.

The thing is, ever since HoT the actual "player work" in WvW has been significantly reduced. Sentries tell us where enemies are. Balloons show us entire zergs. Flipped keeps show everyone near. Objectives are automated. Objectives can be defended by 1 guy pulling a tactivator. We are grinding more and more just to get boosts instead of actually playing WvW.

I want to play WvW, not sit back and relax waiting for a player to pop up on the map so I know exactly where he's going to attack.

@"Dawdler.8521" said:This is called... scouts. And actually using words in the map chat somewhat resembling the english language. That they are inexperienced is irrelevant.

The thing is, ever since HoT the actual "player work" in WvW has been significantly reduced. Sentries tell us where enemies are. Balloons show us entire zergs. Flipped keeps show everyone near. Objectives are automated. Objectives can be defended by 1 guy pulling a tactivator. We are grinding more and more just to get boosts instead of actually playing WvW.

I want to play WvW, not sit back and relax waiting for a player to pop up on the map so I know exactly where he's going to attack.

Man, I miss the days of manual upgrades, people arguing about which upgrade is the right one to use first, sitting in supply camps for hou... Nevermind.

I do miss being more involved in scouting but I'm glad some of those things are gone as well. The automated system removed too many responsibilities. It would be nice to have a little more control over things but I also understand why it was done.

Honestly I'd just be happy if they removed a lot of the tactivator upgrades. Marked is one of the single biggest killers of roaming and small scale and now we have a trick that can be thrown at you to apply it. That, among the many other things that changed to make life easier for smaller servers and lazier players, has removed so many dynamics to the WvW ecosystem.

Archived