I don't play PvP and I just found about the existance of the Signet of Midnight — Guild Wars 2 Forums

I don't play PvP and I just found about the existance of the Signet of Midnight

Mikali.9651Mikali.9651 Member ✭✭✭
edited February 10, 2019 in PVP

It's been 2 years since the last time I've played PvP, I just don't enjoy playing Conquest mode, I find that it makes the game hugely unbalanced and that no skill balance patch will ever make this game mode balanced because it is unbalanced in its core. Hmm...maybe I should have put this part into its own thread?
Anyhow, following a few threads about the mesmer, and as a player that never played mesmer or necro, I didn't know of the existence of the skill Signet of Midnight.

Stats bonuses, blind, evade, stealth, stun break, remove a condition, unblockable, AoE...all on a 30 seconds cooldown. My Warrior and Guardian would LOVE to have this signet. Can I get it? It seems very versatile and fun to have :) I would even like to have it as the Elite skill, instead of the Signet of Rage for example.

On a serious note, I think this skill has too many things into it. Offense, Defense, Utility, even affects allies. It is overloaded

EDIT: I guess my point is, if mesmer has skills like this, that are so overloaded, with other traits and skills that have such a high synergy and stacking effects with the ease of 1 button pressing, it is no wonder it is a problematic profession (Mesmer being a mesmer and all its elite specs ofc., so that you don't think that I am talking about the base mesmer only).

Comments

• apharma.3741apharma.3741 Member ✭✭✭✭

It's worth pointing out that half the things the OP says it has is only after taking traits to buff it.

Signet of Midnight: 180 Expertise
    Blindness (5s): Next outgoing attack misses.
    Stealth (2s): Invisible to foes.
    Number of Targets: 5
    Radius: 360
    Breaks Stun
    Unblockable
    30s CD

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Signet_of_Midnight

It only gives condition removal and "evade" (it's distortion it's invuln not evade) when taking the trait blurred inscriptions which then means you're trading damage for guess what, sustain and it helps you do this.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Blurred_Inscriptions

Now is it a tad overloaded? That's a hard question to answer, let's look at skills that do a similar thing a stunbreak and blind:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Signet_of_Air
    https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Gaze_of_Darkness
    https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Blinding_Powder

So Signet of Air is similar but no stealth, shorter range and not unblockable however it does damage, applies vuln and is on a 5s shorter CD.

Gaze of Darkness is similar but no stealth, can be blocked. It gives fury in it's "passive form" so that's on par if not better than expertise and is an AoE reveal on a 20s CD (15 WvW) and applies 10 vuln.

Blinding Powder is almost the same but 1s more stealth, no passive, 1/4s cast but is a blast finisher on a 10s longer CD. BP should be reverted to instant cast then it would be on par especially with 1s stab on it. Blast finishers are very strong especially on thief.

An argument can be made to reduce Signet of Midnight's range to 240 but when compared to similar skills it is not over performing baseline.

With blurred inscriptions it becomes an invuln for 1s and cleanses 5 conditions. You can say this is too much and when you compare it to something like Written in Stone it's signet-ly more powerful. However I think that's more of Written in Stone being kinda bad, I have tried making builds with it work but it's just not a great trait outside of signet of restoration and the CDR.

It becomes very difficult to compare BP and Gaze of Darkness because their associated traits aren't GM traits and they gain different uses out of them but on the whole I would say Draconic Echo and Shinning Aspects are quite nice and are of equal value when considering the way rev is.

• phokus.8934phokus.8934 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Mikali.9651 said:
    It's been 2 years since the last time I've played PvP, I just don't enjoy playing Conquest mode, I find that it makes the game hugely unbalanced and that no skill balance patch will ever make this game mode balanced because it is unbalanced in its core. Hmm...maybe I should have put this part into its own thread?
    Anyhow, following a few threads about the mesmer, and as a player that never played mesmer or necro, I didn't know of the existence of the skill Signet of Midnight.

Stats bonuses, blind, evade, stealth, stun break, remove a condition, unblockable, AoE...all on a 30 seconds cooldown. My Warrior and Guardian would LOVE to have this signet. Can I get it? It seems very versatile and fun to have :) I would even like to have it as the Elite skill, instead of the Signet of Rage for example.

On a serious note, I think this skill has too many things into it. Offense, Defense, Utility, even affects allies. It is overloaded

EDIT: I guess my point is, if mesmer has skills like this, that are so overloaded, with other traits and skills that have such a high synergy and stacking effects with the ease of 1 button pressing, it is no wonder it is a problematic profession (Mesmer being a mesmer and all its elite specs ofc., so that you don't think that I am talking about the base mesmer only).

You're being a little disingenuous here.

SoM untraited does a blind, 2s of stealth (if not immediately revealed), and stun breaks.
    SoM with Blurred Inscriptions (GM trait in Inspiration) cleanses 5 conditions and grants 1 second of Distortion.

You're not taking the Inspiration line unless you want to play that meme EU chronobunker build so we can disregard Blurred Inscriptions adding the two extra effects. So we have SoM that does a blind, 2s of stealth, and stun breaks.

Now you said you play Guardian so let's compare SoM with a Guardian ability: Contemplation of Purity
    CoP: 40s cd, converts conditions into boons, breaks stun
    CoP traited: Monk's Focus decreases CoP cooldown to 32s, heals for 1.9k, and grants Fury to teammates in a 240u radius... Smiter's Boon is also triggered when CoP is used when it's not on a cooldown which does damage and clears more conditions.

SoM untraited isn't even really used in any of the Mesmer PvP builds outside of one bunker build. And you're telling me that it's overloaded compared to CoP on Guardians when it's used in the core Guard meta build?

Am I missing something here with this picture?

• Megametzler.5729Megametzler.5729 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Odik.4587 said:
    Reading comprehension anyone ? You look more dumb by adding nonsense in your post ,never thought about it ?

@Megametzler.5729 said:
    It's only funny because it is exactly like Decoy - just better!

They deleted trait that supposed to reduce clone/phantasm skills after they reworked illusions traitline.(ironically they did the same with signets, who could have thought they would actually nerfrework that signet trait and buff for PVE needs). Complaint as much as you can but nothing on this earth beats dolyak stance and binding shadow ofc that dont need to be traited even

I only complain it was better for my power mesmer. I didn't care about the passive, the active was better, even without any traits. With the traits it only gets worse. :lol:

I guess the sidenote for boonbeast is deserved, since condi mirage gets sidenotes in basically every thread in this forum. I totally agree, I just don't get the point of Decoy which is sad.

• Curunen.8729Curunen.8729 Member ✭✭✭✭

I'm still salty about nerfing Decoy (removal of IC cooldown trait) and buffing Signet of Midnight with stealth... :/

Decoy's more thematically fun but SoM is objectively better.

Never dodge while dazed (EM handicap) | My ears, how are you! | Kourna Jackrabbit for default Springer

• Mikali.9651Mikali.9651 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 10, 2019

I think we can all agree that there are many skills that are overtuned, traited or not it doesn't matter and exactly that is the problem since HoT.
    Add a bunch of things into one skill. Cool. Great skill design. Add new skills with more things to introduce new flavors and mechanics. Cool. Now add more skills with mechanics to counter those. Cool. Powercreep the game even more :))
    yep, let us not have 5 skills instead of 1, yeah let's not have more choices and simpler more refined gameplay. Nah, why to bother with that, just have 5 skills into 1, more fun! :))
    be a healer, tank, DPS, condition, utility, ninja...burst enemies down, teleport through all the map, become the one with the new dimensions - all in one build :)

edited February 10, 2019

@phokus.8934 said:

@Mikali.9651 said:

SoM untraited does a blind, 2s of stealth (if not immediately revealed), and stun breaks.
    SoM with Blurred Inscriptions (GM trait in Inspiration) cleanses 5 conditions and grants 1 second of Distortion.

You're not taking the Inspiration line unless you want to play that meme EU chronobunker build so we can disregard Blurred Inscriptions adding the two extra effects. So we have SoM that does a blind, 2s of stealth, and stun breaks.

Now you said you play Guardian so let's compare SoM with a Guardian ability: Contemplation of Purity
    CoP traited: Monk's Focus decreases CoP cooldown to 32s, heals for 1.9k, and grants Fury to teammates in a 240u radius... Smiter's Boon is also triggered when CoP is used when it's not on a cooldown which does damage and clears more conditions.

SoM untraited isn't even really used in any of the Mesmer PvP builds outside of one bunker build. And you're telling me that it's overloaded compared to CoP on Guardians when it's used in the core Guard meta build?

even if you combine all those skills you just mentioned, fully traited, they do not come even close to the power of the Signet of Midnight.

• phokus.8934phokus.8934 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Mikali.9651 said:

@phokus.8934 said:

@Mikali.9651 said:

even if you combine all those skills you just mentioned, fully traited, they do not stand come even close to the power of the Signet of Midnight.

In what fantasy world of yours does that even make sense? CoP is vastly superior traited compared to non-traited SoM.

edited February 10, 2019

@phokus.8934 said:

@Mikali.9651 said:

@phokus.8934 said:

@Mikali.9651 said:

even if you combine all those skills you just mentioned, fully traited, they do not stand come even close to the power of the Signet of Midnight.

In what fantasy world of yours does that even make sense? CoP is vastly superior traited compared to non-traited SoM.

In absolutely every possible sense

edited February 10, 2019

@Julius Seizure.4985 said:

@Odik.4587 said:

“5 conditions removed,” is the part where I know the balance dev mains this class.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Cleansing_Fire
    Oh no devs main elementalists!
    F2 on fb convert 5 condis into boons ! Another dev main guardian!
    Warrior remove aoe for himself and allies 5 conditions! kitten devs main warrior!
    Poor soulbeasts/rangers cant remove 5 conditions, we need to buff them asap!

Look at comparable traits and and signets to make an argument. Best example is Signet of Suffering as it is GM trait as well— but others exist.

I’ll be here for a logical argument, but not for salty tears.

Fact: no other trait completely removes an intended class weakness (lack of Condi clear on Mesmer) the way this one does, nor synergies with multiple other traits to provide such an insane single Signet. Don’t forget you get ambush on distortionto to name but one additional perk.

Whoa, where did you figure out mesmer's as a class were meant to be weak to conditions?

MESMER HAS NEVER BEEN WEAK TO CONDITIONS when they trait or pick skills to do so. Below are 4 skills that in the core game cleansed and mesmer has always had good condition management options in Inspiration trait line since the core game. To note Disenchanter used to cleanse on allies but that was removed on the phantasm rework.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Null_Field
    https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mantra_of_Resolve
    https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Arcane_Thievery
    https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Phantasmal_Disenchanter

So what were you saying about coming here for logical arguments?

• Odik.4587Odik.4587 Member ✭✭✭✭

@apharma.3741 said:

@Odik.4587 said:

“5 conditions removed,” is the part where I know the balance dev mains this class.

Warrior remove aoe for himself and allies 5 conditions! kitten devs main warrior!

Look at comparable traits and and signets to make an argument. Best example is Signet of Suffering as it is GM trait as well— but others exist.

Fact: no other trait completely removes an intended class weakness (lack of Condi clear on Mesmer) the way this one does, nor synergies with multiple other traits to provide such an insane single Signet. Don’t forget you get ambush on distortionto to name but one additional perk.

Whoa, where did you figure out mesmer's as a class were meant to be weak to conditions?

MESMER HAS NEVER BEEN WEAK TO CONDITIONS when they trait or pick skills to do so. Below are 4 skills that in the core game cleansed and mesmer has always had good condition management options in Inspiration trait line since the core game. To note Disenchanter used to cleanse on allies but that was removed on the phantasm rework.

Exactly why he came here and left some nonsense comment ...

• Julius Seizure.4985Julius Seizure.4985 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 10, 2019

@apharma.3741 said:

@Odik.4587 said:

Mesmer builds for competitive play have traditionally been weak to Condition removal. Maybe you ran Null Field, Mantra of Resolve, or Arcane Thievery (before its recent buff), but almost no one did.

Signet of Midnight was already the go-to skill for any condition or hybrid damage Mesmer build, and if you can’t see how stacking on 5x condi removal to this skill grants significant removal to a spec/class that previously was weak to removal for competitive play than I have nothing to add.

Checks forum— yeah this is about PvP. Glad you ran Mantra of Resolve and Null field, Disenchanter, and Arcane Thievery (pre buff) instead of Signet of Midnight, but no one else did. And no one else still does (aside from SOMETIMES Arcane Thievery, *cough since its recent buff.

edited February 10, 2019

@apharma.3741 said:

@Odik.4587 said:

Mesmer builds for competitive play have traditionally been weak to Condition removal. Maybe you ran Null Field, Mantra of Resolve, or Arcane Thievery (before its recent buff), but almost no one did.

Signet of Midnight was already the go-to skill for any condition or hybrid damage Mesmer build, and if you can’t see how stacking on 5x condi removal to this skill grants significant removal to a spec/class that previously was weak to removal than I have nothing to add.

You both confidently went ad hominem rather than answer my post, so I think I struck a nerve.

To get 5 condition removal on that signet you need to trait into Inspiration. FACT.

Those " builds for competitive play have traditionally been weak to Condition removal." never went into Inspiration so would never have had the condition removal on this signet regardless even if it existed back then.

Condition removal was NEVER A CLASS WEAKNESS IT WAS A BUILD WEAKNESS

You need to learn the difference between class and build, mesmer has never ever struggled for condition removal if they went for condition removal either through Mantra or Inspiration line.

What were you saying about ad hominem?

If you want a logical discussion that's great but you must also do it with correct facts instead of blindly accepting what the OP said as truth. The OP fed you a lie of omission.

Edit: I also already answered your original post before you even commented in the thread, go look at where I compare similar skills giving reasons and links to the relevant wiki pages. Yes ignorance does annoy me, you are correct.

• witcher.3197witcher.3197 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 10, 2019

Welcome to Anet's "we'll pile new things on it until everyone plays it!" philosophy

• Jeknar.6184Jeknar.6184 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 10, 2019

Since when Mesmer had lack of condi cleanses? Just running inspiration already give you Clease on shatter, Cleanse on heal, Phantasms that take away condis... And I'm not even into the grandmaster traits yet.

Oh and don't forget the mantra that remove 13 condis when prepared and 3 per charge on a 12s cd.

Ferguson's Crossing Mithril Soldier (Rank 4900) - PvP Phoenix (Rank 72) - 30k Achievement Points
    Exalted Kawagima, Calamis Fatima, Hanna Flintlocke, Suzuhara Suzuka, Sabetha Deadeye, Bjarl of Souls, Lilian Mistwalker, Kelvena Riverstream, Zallha Wildhunt

• Solori.6025Solori.6025 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 10, 2019

@Odik.4587 said:

Condi clear was never a weakness though. . .
    And even if this. GM trait didnt clear condies mes still has a mantra, glamour, shatter trait, and manipulation to clear condies. Tools it's had for years

Tingle my stingleberry

• sephiroth.4217sephiroth.4217 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Odik.4587 said:

you're right!!!
    Celestial Avatar?? removes all conditions!!

Needs buff asap lol

Not to brag, but I put together a puzzle in 4 days and the box said 2-4 years.
    PvP forum members must be making a new football oval judging by the way they move the goalposts of every post.
    Please allow team queue with rewards again at our own discretion

@sephiroth.4217 said:

@Odik.4587 said:

you're right!!!
    Celestial Avatar?? removes all conditions!!

Needs buff asap lol

Its not soulbeast , thus,need buff, I think merge need to remove all conditions and take a place of minor trait like druid !

• Vagrant.7206Vagrant.7206 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Odik.4587 said:

The whataboutism is real with this one.

The great god Lagki demands sacrifice!

• Crinn.7864Crinn.7864 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Vagrant.7206 said:

@Odik.4587 said:

I always knew mesmers where communists

Sanity is for the weak minded
    YouTube

edited February 11, 2019

@Vagrant.7206 said:

@Odik.4587 said:

He had an argument there? Where :grey_question:
    You are too mad to see it was a joke and I just laugh at him because many skills remove 5 condtions

• Curunen.8729Curunen.8729 Member ✭✭✭✭

On the subject of new Blurred Inscriptions - I personally do question why in a trait line (Inspiration) that already has ridiculous access to condi cleanse to give a trait that also provides even more condi cleanse on an already powerful utility skill...

It's so weird with mesmer building that either you take Inspiration and laugh at all conditions, or don't and don't (well Elusive Mind still does have solid cleanse if one can put up with the awful handicap).

Never dodge while dazed (EM handicap) | My ears, how are you! | Kourna Jackrabbit for default Springer

• Yannir.4132Yannir.4132 Member ✭✭✭✭

@phokus.8934 said:
    Smiter's Boon is also triggered when CoP is used when it's not on a cooldown which does damage and clears more conditions.

Wrong. Smiter's Boon is triggered on Healing skill(skill 6 baseline), not on CoP.

• @witcher.3197 said:
    Welcome to Anet's "we'll pile new things on it until everyone plays it!" philosophy

except that eles exist to get highly reasonable buffs such as 0.5s extra burn on a trait that only procs 33% of the time on critc and pre-emptive nerfs on the buffs (dagger).

• Swagg.9236Swagg.9236 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 15, 2019

Pretty sure that the biggest, fattest meme skill with a metric ton of effects slapped onto a very underwhelming and reactive ability still belongs to Full Counter. It's literally just Riposte except it also just

• Gives stability
    • Evades
    • Attacks in a huge AoE
    • Dazes
    • It can't be blocked
    • I can't even be bothered to mention the tidal wave of passive effects that can simultaneously go off whenever a warrior presses F2

Thief Steal used to be king passive meme, but then warrior naturally got upset that someone had stolen its rightful title.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.