Guess how many mirages were in ToL finals!

rank eleven monk.9502

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@rank eleven monk.9502 said:10? 8? Maybe 6?

The answer is 0, if anyone is interested and not yet blinded by the hate.

(PS: no secret agenda here, just a fun fact)

(PS2: OP is a chrono main)

The NA winners had 2 Mirages in their comp and won 94-500, also there were matches where half the players were Mirages, that's 5 Mirages in a game of 10 players.

@Slapinator.4196 said:

The NA winners had 2 Mirages in their comp and won 94-500, also there were matches were half the players were Mirages, that's 5 Mirages in a game of 10 players.NA is a joke tho, even US players aren't playing there any more.

@ EU all the games I checked the highest number of mirages in total was 2 (out of 10)

@Slapinator.4196 said:

The NA winners had 2 Mirages in their comp and won 94-500, also there were matches were half the players were Mirages, that's 5 Mirages in a game of 10 players.

Team USA had a swinger who went from Warr/Mes/Ranger. And to be honest, he could've went any class and they still would've won 500-94. And the other Mirage was power. Soooo....

@Slapinator.4196 said:

@"rank eleven monk.9502" said:10? 8? Maybe 6?

The NA winners had 2 Mirages in their comp and won 94-500, also there were matches were half the players were Mirages, that's 5 Mirages in a game of 10 players.

Indeed, third place on EU also had Mirage (and chrono) in them, while almost all other teams had Mirage (often multiple), the fact that they were not in the final was because the winning team was composed of, for the better part, r55dragons who already won ToL before, so I don't see the validity of "the team composed of most pro players and former champions managed to beat team with Mirage so Mirage must not be op" argument...

@Alatar.7364 said:

Indeed, third place on EU also had Mirage (and chrono) in them, while almost all other teams had Mirage (often multiple), the fact that they were not in the final was because the winning team was composed of, for the better part, r55dragons who already won ToL before, so I don't see the validity of
"the team composed of most pro players and former champions managed to beat team with Mirage so Mirage must not be op"
argument...

Any straws a mirage can grasp can and will be used against us.

@Shadow Order.7258 said:

Indeed, third place on EU also had Mirage (and chrono) in them, while almost all other teams had Mirage (often multiple), the fact that they were not in the final was because the winning team was composed of, for the better part, r55dragons who already won ToL before, so I don't see the validity of
"the team composed of most pro players and former champions managed to beat team with Mirage so Mirage must not be op"
argument...

Any straws a mirage can grasp can and will be used against us.Please read my post thank you :)

@Ragnar.4257 said:You know what else wasn't in the final? Holosmith, Spellbreaker, Core Guard, Deadeye...... the list goes on. This is a very poor basis on which to assess problems.Well, apart from holo, all of those are self explanatory. Everything what a spellbreaker can do, a soulbeast does better. Deadeye is not viable at all in a premade competition. Core guard is debatable, there were a few of them around

@rank eleven monk.9502 said:

argument...

Any straws a mirage can grasp can and will be used against us.Please read my post thank you :)

@Ragnar.4257 said:You know what else wasn't in the final? Holosmith, Spellbreaker, Core Guard, Deadeye...... the list goes on. This is a very poor basis on which to assess problems.Well, apart from holo, all of those are self explanatory. Everything what a spellbreaker can do, a soulbeast does better. Deadeye is not viable at all in a premade competition. Core guard is debatable, there were a few of them around

Never meant to imply that they're viable, just that people whine about them non-stop.

Hey....that's the exact number of ele in the whole tournament....but ofc we still have the crowd that says :" but..but...but ..but ele is awesome in pve and and...hmm..yeah we had cele d/d meta recently ( 4 years ago ) so it's all good"

@Slapinator.4196 said:

Okay but NA is a joke so no one cares

This is just a dumb argument and I suspect the people who make it know it too since they're not idiots. An organized team environment != solo queue environment. Just because something is not oppressive in games between organized teams does not necessarily mean it's also not oppressive or OP in solo queue. I think it makes perfect sense for a side noder with as much killing power as Mirage to be a problem in solo queue moreso than in organized play. Teams can afford to be much more specialized with their comps and 5 people on voice comms on it's own solves huge problems that you face in solo queue.

Look at it the other way around - Scourge and FB still dominate organized play but far less so in solo queue. In fact Firebrand is pretty trash to solo queue on and arguably you're better off solo queueing on a Reaper than a Scourge. Maybe we should buff both so they see more use? Maybe core Guard and Holo are underpowered since no one picks them in ToL either? I mean this is what I expect following the logic of "it's only the ToL\mAT finals that matter"?

@"Chuck.2864" said:This is just a dumb argument and I suspect the people who make it know it too since they're not idiots. An organized team environment != solo queue environment. Just because something is not oppressive in games between organized teams does not necessarily mean it's also not oppressive or OP in solo queue. I think it makes perfect sense for a side noder with as much killing power as Mirage to be a problem in solo queue moreso than in organized play. Teams can afford to be much more specialized with their comps and 5 people on voice comms on it's own solves huge problems that you face in solo queue.

Look at it the other way around - Scourge and FB still dominate organized play but far less so in solo queue. In fact Firebrand is pretty trash to solo queue on and arguably you're better off solo queueing on a Reaper than a Scourge. Maybe we should buff both so they see more use? Maybe core Guard and Holo are underpowered since no one picks them in ToL either? I mean this is what I expect following the logic of "it's only the ToL\mAT finals that matter"?

It's a disingenuous argument because it relies upon the belief that the top 1% of coordinated team players represent the skill ceiling for their given class. Anybody who understands that this is a bad argument knows this because of something known as SYNERGY. If something is balanced in pre-built teams, that does not mean it is balanced elsewhere, and vice versa -- top duelists do not represent the team potential of a build or spec.

In other words... anecdotes suck. Statistics are more useful, and we don't have access to the information that ANet does. However, if popular consent is anything to go by, it's worth checking the stats on mirage. Then analyzing what synergies internal to the class are unbalanced, and what synergies between classes are unbalanced.

Well, I have seen the argument "there are no condi mirages in higher rankings" a lot, and I have recorded my last 10 games:

core mesmer: 1 (lol)chronomancer: 6mirage: 8

I did check significance, but 10 games are obviously too few for any reasonably point. Mirage is indeed a little lower than the expected value (which would be 10, I didn't play one, so I expected one of my other 9 players to play one), but mesmer in general is quite common.

The core dude was memeing. :tongue:

I will keep track of this, but I will not be able to play enough games for statistically relevant statements. So far, the assumption of "less mirages" is as false as "many mirages" - "many mesmers" might be a thing though.

Thief is preferred as roamer atm because it is the only class that can reliably interrupt FB signet. Also the Daggerstorm rework made it alot more viable in teamfights, which everything is about in this meta. On sidenode it's usually Boonbeast cause of the insane tankiness paired with decent pressure, it holds nodes better than mirage could.

Mirage is still boosted though.

lets not forget about the fact that a chronomancer was able to push boyce on boonbeast offpoint in the semis.. that allthough chronos do higher and way easier burst than a freshair weaver while maintaining superior sustain and aoe than boonbeast.

boonbeast sustain - ignoring the difference of tourney and ranked - that is considered broken by mirage mains, right?

very interesting sidestory

Archived