Tournament of Legends final thief S/D PoV

Sindrener.1592

To be honest this gameplay kinda saddens me because there's basically no skill expression happening from anyone relative to what we saw even a few years ago.

Like yeah the macro play and coordination are great, and the execution of such builds is also basically flawless, but literally everyone is all playing in such a lame and kind of repetitive fashion.

@DeceiverX.8361 said:To be honest this gameplay kinda saddens me because there's basically no skill expression happening from anyone relative to what we saw even a few years ago.

Like yeah the macro play and coordination are great, and the execution of such builds is also basically flawless, but literally everyone is all playing in such a lame and kind of repetitive fashion.

I agree fully, i said it on my stream as well. I dont think this meta is complex whatsoever, no thinking involved just spam damage its just dumb. It is so dumbed down this reminds me of bronze mid or lose game and on top of that you dont need co ordinarion at all, this was the second time we played together all of us lol, theres no ”3 2 1 spike this target” in order to kill something, you call a target and if it doesnt die you try another. Its honestly sad to see

@"DeceiverX.8361" said:To be honest this gameplay kinda saddens me because there's basically no skill expression happening from anyone relative to what we saw even a few years ago.

A direct result of everyone playing the META and following the rotations suggested by the META to a tee. . It reminds me a lot of "Magic the Gathering". When i first started play many years ago it was all new and a whole lot of fun. Of a sudden decks designed with "one build to rule them all" in mind whereby the result is, in a game where there literally thousands and thousands of cards in play , when you go to a match everyone plays the same limited number of cards. I still play and enjoy the game but prefer the Commander version for it and prefer to play with a limited group of people where we have all sorts of rules to encourage wider variety in play.

WOTC tries to address these issues in Standard by phasing out cards on a regular basis and introducing new ones so as to provide a shakeup. One could suggest ANET attempts the same via the new added traitlines yet the underlying problem reamins. People will eventually find the optimal build, the optimal rotations, post on Metabattle, win their fights and everyone else will go along.

@babazhook.6805 said:

@"DeceiverX.8361" said:To be honest this gameplay kinda saddens me because there's basically no skill expression happening from anyone relative to what we saw even a few years ago.

A direct result of everyone playing the META and following the rotations suggested by the META to a tee. . It reminds me a lot of "Magic the Gathering". When i first started play many years ago it was all new and a whole lot of fun. Of a sudden decks designed with "one build to rule them all" in mind whereby the result is, in a game where there literally thousands and thousands of cards in play , when you go to a match everyone plays the same limited number of cards. I still play and enjoy the game but prefer the Commander version for it and prefer to play with a limited group of people where we have all sorts of rules to encourage wider variety in play.

WOTC tries to address these issues in Standard by phasing out cards on a regular basis and introducing new ones so as to provide a shakeup. One could suggest ANET attempts the same via the new added traitlines yet the underlying problem reamins. People will eventually find the optimal build, the optimal rotations, post on Metabattle, win their fights and everyone else will go along.

It's not even so much that there are optimal builds so much as the skill requirements and risk/reward are so low. We're not seeing any big plays and demonstrations of that skill being made here. Most of the video was basically just standard decap and spam 3/weave autos into teamfights. Not criticizing the play - because that's just what the gameplay patterns are right now because the disparity between what's good and what isn't is massive and there's a harsh dependence on playing S/D for the thief thanks to OP releases. Even if the meta shifted slightly, the OP's are so strong it wouldn't change much at all because stuff like damage immunity spam/block spam/boon spam is rampant across all classes.

These players are ridiculously good but but it's hard to discern based on the gameplay because outside of the macro it looks no different from gold. And even Sind is saying the macro isn't really team-based.

What I find astonishing is that there are people praising this tournament when tbh it only proves just how bad things are.

@kash.9213 said:Couple of nice last second Larcenous Strikes like in that fight at around 9:10. I see what you guys are saying about picking someone to converge on and burn, but at least your guys boons won the race over condi when it got hot.

The interrupt at 9:10 came from steal if that's what you mean. It wasn't really boons over condi that won us the game overall.

In short why we won the game is because we managed to snowball in the correct moments (when bell was up) and also the times when they kill us they overextend hugely or don't get too much value out of the won fight.

Examples being the first fight in mid, they get a kill on our scourge but the rev pushes into our close and dies, I'm stalling mid and we win the next fight and get as many kills as possible.

So all in all the times when they won fights it was only 1-2 people dead and when we won 3-4 usually.

@bluri.2653 said:

@kash.9213 said:Couple of nice last second Larcenous Strikes like in that fight at around 9:10. I see what you guys are saying about picking someone to converge on and burn, but at least your guys boons won the race over condi when it got hot.

The interrupt at 9:10 came from steal if that's what you mean.
It wasn't really boons over condi that won us the game overall.

In short why we won the game is because we managed to snowball in the correct moments (when bell was up) and also the times when they kill us they overextend hugely or don't get too much value out of the won fight.

Examples being the first fight in mid, they get a kill on our scourge but the rev pushes into our close and dies, I'm stalling mid and we win the next fight and get as many kills as possible.

So all in all the times when they won fights it was only 1-2 people dead and when we won 3-4 usually.

I know but that picture of the boon line and condi lines getting longer and racing each other just seemed kind of funny after reading the thread, thought I'd poke the bears.

Archived