Help me make PvP sound fun

Deadvillager.1956

Hey guys,I have a terrible dilemma. Some of my old WoW maties are finally willing to try out our beautiful mess that is GW2. The problem though is that they really like the PvP/Arena side and I haven't played regularly since the year of ascension. I am really struggling to convince them to immigrate. Our group would be 2-4 people big and as far as I know, ranked only allows duos. Is there anything meaningful that can be done with e.g. 3 people in sPvP?

@Deadvillager.1956 said:Hey guys,I have a terrible dilemma. Some of my old WoW maties are finally willing to try out our beautiful mess that is GW2. The problem though is that they really like the PvP/Arena side and I haven't played regularly since the year of ascension. I am really struggling to convince them to immigrate. Our group would be 2-4 people big and as far as I know, ranked only allows duos. Is there anything meaningful that can be done with e.g. 3 people in sPvP?

Well tell them the classes are diverse...until people complain and Anet removes the build and class from viability. You are likely to meet the same 3 people during your time in ranked but don't worry. Sometimes the afk bot is on the enemy team so you win some too.Oh and there is no ranked team que so at most 2 of you get to play together

Why would you intentionally try and trick your friends into wasting time here?

@Solori.6025 said:

@Deadvillager.1956 said:Hey guys,I have a terrible dilemma. Some of my old WoW maties are finally willing to try out our beautiful mess that is GW2. The problem though is that they really like the PvP/Arena side and I haven't played regularly since the year of ascension. I am really struggling to convince them to immigrate. Our group would be 2-4 people big and as far as I know, ranked only allows duos. Is there anything meaningful that can be done with e.g. 3 people in sPvP?

Well tell them the classes are diverse...until people complain and Anet removes the build and class from viability. You are likely to meet the same 3 people during your time in ranked but don't worry. Sometimes the afk bot is on the enemy team so you win some too.Oh and there is no team que so at most 2 of you get to play together

Why would you intentionally try and trick your friends into wasting time here?

Even tho its a waste of time its still the best pvp in any mmo out there. Balance might be shit but the gameplay is fun af

It's fun if you don't care. It'd be really fun if Anet had any idea how to make the experience better with a few small changes...

None of this helps you, I think.

Anet does NOT want you to enjoy PvP together with your friends so that will be a hard, hard, hard sell.

You and your friends can play 3-4 man unranked games, do 1v1 duels, create tournaments, scrimmage each other 2v2 and create an A and B team for ranked matches.

Regarding ranked: If you all play different classes, and are at different skill levels, the chances of you seeing each other in ranked drops a bit, but there's a chance you could be fighting each other, and you'd just have to be OK with that. I think the competition would be fun, IMO. My recommendation would be you (assuming you're the most experienced) would rotate teams each match and play with a different person.

2v2 scrims are super fun too.

You don't need to sell them anything. Just ask them to try it out and form their own opinions. A lot of the community are salty vets who haven't really kept up with the MMO community and seemingly aren't aware that GW2 isn't some sort of blue buffalo and in-fact every MMO has glaring balance issues.

Though, to be honest, most game fourms are filled with salt, as well as players who would rather talk about the game instead of playing it. The majority of players are silent, because they are too busy actually playing the game to whine about it.

Just tell them to try it out and form their own opinion. Tell them to keep an open mind and remember that it is a very different game from WoW with a different way of playing.

You can play unranked with more than two people. Honestly, I can't fathom why GW2 deviates from the industry standard and doesn't allow peope to 5-man que in ranked. It is truely bizzare.

I haven't played WoW in a long time, but if I had to list the biggest positive difference between GW2 and WoW PvP it would have to be the combat system itself. GW2 plays faster. More mobility, more instants, more reliance on interrupts and actively avoiding damage. I find it more fun to play than I remember from my WoW days (although much may have changed since then for all I know).

Unfortunately, class balance isn't great, which probably isn't anything new to a WoW player. However, you notice it more here because we only have ONE game mode for PvP! Where in WoW your class might be hard countered by some other classes, at least you hard counter some yourself. And maybe you don't have the most impact in one game type, but you can be high impact in another. Here it's all conquest all the time and, as you note, it's duo queue. And they don't do a good job of the rock/paper/scissors thing. Some classes seem like they are all three while others feel like they might as well not be there. It also takes them quite a while to do anything about it.

This is a major drawback for teams coming over from a game like WoW. Not only can you not play with your team in ranked, but you don't even have any variety if you want to mess around in unranked. It's just conquest...and stronghold, which is just terrible. And there's not much hope of it changing any time soon.

@"Odik.4587" said:"BRAWL GAME MODE"Everyone have RNG traits and weapons at start of the game .You can chose amulet after game shown you your traits (may be rune and sigils up to you as well) . (No expansion needed for this game mode)Blend in some other 'fun' ideas and make it rotate

That would be awesome we should have game modes like that in pvp

@NecroSummonsMors.7816 said:

@"Odik.4587" said:"BRAWL GAME MODE"Everyone have RNG traits and weapons at start of the game .You can chose amulet after game shown you your traits (may be rune and sigils up to you as well) . (No expansion needed for this game mode)Blend in some other 'fun' ideas and make it rotate

That would be awesome we should have game modes like that in pvpI'm glad you like that idea ;)Would be nice to shake boredome there . Just fun while dont give you a reason to be salty about losses . May be even make separate weekely prize for doing brawl so more people participate . May be ascended shards of glory so people have chance to earn them without going too deep into ranked fiesta

@Odik.4587 said:

@Odik.4587 said:"BRAWL GAME MODE"Everyone have RNG traits and weapons at start of the game .You can chose amulet after game shown you your traits (may be rune and sigils up to you as well) . (No expansion needed for this game mode)Blend in some other 'fun' ideas and make it rotate

That would be awesome we should have game modes like that in pvpI'm glad you like that idea ;)Would be nice to shake boredome there . Just fun while dont give you a reason to be salty about losses . May be even make separate weekely prize for doing brawl so more people participate . May be ascended shards of glory so people have chance to earn them without going too deep into ranked fiesta

I'd be on to that for sure. It's time to shake the boredome. I've made a new discussion about it, please join it and share your crazy ideas, i started it with your input =)

Archived