Is there another Expansion in the works? - Page 4 — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Is there another Expansion in the works?

124>

Comments

  • Astralporing.1957Astralporing.1957 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 24, 2019

    @Nemmar.8491 said:
    I mean, i shouldn't even bother to explain basic things to people.
    Vertical progression allows things like for example being able to get ascended gear with the living map currencies and have the end-game gear drop from the actual greastest challenge in the game. This is not "grind", it's called PROGRESSION.

    You can already get ascended gear from living map currencies, and legendary armor from raids. And if the raids are to remain challenging, why would they offer gear meant to make them less challenging?

    It populates both the outer world and the instanced world.

    It also completely kills any content that doesn't offer those gear. LS4 kills LS3. PoF raids kill HoT raids etc. Because if it's gear progression, it isn't going to stop at any point, and each new content is going to invalidate the previous one.

    Wich is what GW2 does not have and needs. At this point, to get into end-content you need to have an ascended set already

    You really don't. I did quite well initially with exotic armor and ascended trinkets from LS3 on by banner PS warrior. My healer was originally in exotics (ascalon catacombs set) and noone even commented on it.

    I know you guys are probably still here cause you don't care. But, most people do.

    Most people do care. That is why we don't have any gear progression - the reaction of people to Anet trying to introduce it by a backdoor back in 2012 was anything but small, and told the devs the community doesn't want it.

    Like for example a new player that want to come in and tank or heal for their guild. Do you know how much work they have to put in before they can?

    Yes, i do. They can be geared up in weeks, which is much faster than in any gear progression game i have ever seen.

    Exotic gear is useless. It's missing important stats like concentration.

    ...ok, so you don't even know basics of the issue you try to speak of with such "authority".
    Hint: exotic gear can, too, have concentration (and expertise) stats.

    You cannot perform your job efficiently without the proper gear. So, the player either stays in a grind for weeks to craft that gear only to no longer have rewards to look forward to, or just gives up and leaves. I honestly don't care that you refuse to see reality. It is still reality.

    I am really baffled how you refuse to see that in a gear grind game it would be the same. Only, instead of crafting/doing fractals/ls3 maps you'd be doing ls3, then ls4, then dungeons, then tier after tier of fractals, untill finally you've been geared up right for raids. And in gear grind game (unlike in gw2) you wouldn't be able to do raids in exotics, because the difference between gear tiers would be much greater.
    So in truth, gear grind game would be the same, but worse.

    The game needs to change or it will die. It's that simple. If you prefer it dies, so be it. It's your prerogative. You want to go down with the ship. Well... i want to try and save it. Thus i left different feedback. Deal with it.

    The changes you propose would kill the game even faster. So, if you want to save the game, you really need to think of something else.

    The whole point of a social game is to play with the people you want to play with, not be forced to play with the people you don't.

  • Zeral.8249Zeral.8249 Member ✭✭
    edited June 29, 2019

    One thing I am hoping to see is a Northern expansion, they've expanded West, then South, so North or East are next... right? Jormag and the Norn influence needs some coverage. Always loved the feeling of when I saw the ''claw of jormag'' world boss and thought ''Woah! that's just an offspring? this will be amazing!''

  • @Balsa.3951 said:
    Mike says with the next LS u will get 9 elite spezialisations [...] and a new way to costumize ur charracter and that all for free!

    Wait, seriously? Will we get new elite specs with the next LS?
    All I care about those expansions are new elite specs, to be honest. A good story would be nice too, but my personal wish is to get a new spec for Elementalist, that allows me to stick into one element, and gives an elite skill that is not useless.

  • Tiviana.2650Tiviana.2650 Member ✭✭✭

    @Frostchant.1523 said:

    @Balsa.3951 said:
    Mike says with the next LS u will get 9 elite spezialisations [...] and a new way to costumize ur charracter and that all for free!

    Wait, seriously? Will we get new elite specs with the next LS?
    All I care about those expansions are new elite specs, to be honest. A good story would be nice too, but my personal wish is to get a new spec for Elementalist, that allows me to stick into one element, and gives an elite skill that is not useless.

    Wait a sec, i never read that. I would like a link to this

  • Ashantara.8731Ashantara.8731 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 6, 2019

    @Balsa.3951 said:
    Mike says with the next LS u will get 9 elite spezialisations [...] and a new way to costumize ur charracter and that all for free!

    Link for proof or it never happened.

    @Nemmar.8491 said:
    Exotic gear is useless. It's missing important stats like concentration.

    https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Attribute_combinations - This goes for exotic, ascended and legendary gear.

  • Teratus.2859Teratus.2859 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 7, 2019

    @Perihen the Thawk.9527 said:
    I think this is starting to worry a lot of players actually. I love the Living World, but no more expansions would be very hard to swallow.

    Living World is cool, it makes you feel big, like you're the center of the universe. But lots of games do that. MMO's like Guild Wars are at their best when they make you feel like a tiny speck in a vast world. Stepping into the Heart of Maguuma and Elona made me feel small like that. Living World is great but it just can't do that.

    I doubt Anet will confirm or deny a new expansion, but I see a lot of people starting to worry and I think just knowing that there is one being worked on for someday, even just the indeterminate future after Season 5, would greatly reassure people.

    Couldn't agree more.

    I enjoy living world too, but it's no replacement for expansions..
    I want my big, paid, content dump expansion content in Gw2.. if the rest of the game's story will be essentially free episodic updates then i'm going to be very disappointed.
    The nature of living world tends to be.. introduction mission.. run around map talking to NPC's/completing hearts.. do another instance or mission.. more running around talking to NPC's or doing some kind of fetch quest or go here and place something.. then finally big epic finale mission.
    It gets a little tedious a times tbh.. not so much when the episode is new, but on repeat playthroughs playing a seasons episodes back to back.. you do notice it and it does get very tedious.
    Then there's the new maps.. and the content in those maps.
    Pretty much all of Living world from 3 onwards especially has been introduce a new map with a unique new currency and have people grind events and nodes for some new toys and skins.. it gets very repetitive tbh and that's usually why I only play the new maps for a week or so, get a few things I want and then go off and do something else like level an alt or something.

    While there are no doubt some really epic moments in the living world.. the episodic formula living world uses not to mention the waiting period between releases just doesn't compete with the large content dump that an expansion provides.

  • Acheron.4731Acheron.4731 Member ✭✭✭

    @Teratus.2859 said:

    @Perihen the Thawk.9527 said:
    I think this is starting to worry a lot of players actually. I love the Living World, but no more expansions would be very hard to swallow.

    Living World is cool, it makes you feel big, like you're the center of the universe. But lots of games do that. MMO's like Guild Wars are at their best when they make you feel like a tiny speck in a vast world. Stepping into the Heart of Maguuma and Elona made me feel small like that. Living World is great but it just can't do that.

    I doubt Anet will confirm or deny a new expansion, but I see a lot of people starting to worry and I think just knowing that there is one being worked on for someday, even just the indeterminate future after Season 5, would greatly reassure people.

    Couldn't agree more.

    I enjoy living world too, but it's no replacement for expansions..
    I want my big, paid, content dump expansion content in Gw2.. if the rest of the game's story will be essentially free episodic updates then i'm going to be very disappointed.
    The nature of living world tends to be.. introduction mission.. run around map talking to NPC's/completing hearts.. do another instance or mission.. more running around talking to NPC's or doing some kind of fetch quest or go here and place something.. then finally big epic finale mission.
    It gets a little tedious a times tbh.. not so much when the episode is new, but on repeat playthroughs playing a seasons episodes back to back.. you do notice it and it does get very tedious.
    Then there's the new maps.. and the content in those maps.
    Pretty much all of Living world from 3 onwards especially has been introduce a new map with a unique new currency and have people grind events and nodes for some new toys and skins.. it gets very repetitive tbh and that's usually why I only play the new maps for a week or so, get a few things I want and then go off and do something else like level an alt or something.

    While there are no doubt some really epic moments in the living world.. the episodic formula living world uses not to mention the waiting period between releases just doesn't compete with the large content dump that an expansion provides.

    I agree. I am not a big fan of living world episodes myself. There is no real new 'mechanic' just repetitive grind for currency if you need it to build gear but with legendary armor and easily available ascended trinkets/accessories even that is not necessary anymore. Without new elite specs things just get stale and there is little to no shake-up with balance patches (or unbalance patches) to offset the boredom. Maybe if new "skills" or weapon abilities were introduced it would be a different story but short of that....no thanks.

    Top ten reasons I procrastinate:
    1.

  • MokahTGS.7850MokahTGS.7850 Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 7, 2019

    @Tiviana.2650 said:
    It gives people a good long amount of time and content to play through.

    **looks back at all of the "There isn't enough content, when does season x start??" threads a week after the expansions are released...

  • Tiviana.2650Tiviana.2650 Member ✭✭✭

    @MokahTGS.7850 said:

    @Tiviana.2650 said:
    It gives people a good long amount of time and content to play through.

    **looks back at all of the "There isn't enough content, when does season x start??" threads a week after the expansions are released...

    Well you will always have burners, they burn through the expansion in a weeks time. That is not the norm, even wow that has a truckload of content has burners on the forums complaining they did every thing a few days after release. Now where i can see a problem is gw2 lack of defined questing paths. In most games you drop an expansion, get a lead in story to go to the new area, then you get involved with the locals, and start doing stories and quests for them, at the same time gaining a foothold in the area. All this leads up to completing the zone and leading to the next step and the next zone. GW2 dont really play that way, thats both good and bad i suppose, but yeah i can see people burning through story chapters, because they dont take long, and open world is not really quest linked.

  • Omernon.9762Omernon.9762 Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 9, 2019

    If they had any plans for future expansion, then they are most likely working on it as we speak. It might not be lighting speed effort, more like creating assets or some initial locations so that they can occupy some of their employees that are not needed anywhere else. In any case, we should know a bit more about their plans half way through Season 5 when some controlled leaks will start to happen.

    I’m also more inclined to believe that new expansion will take place in Cantha or some similarly vast and unexplored place and Living World Season 5 will take us further into the north (either further into Charr Homelands or into Far Shiverpeaks (or both at the same time)). I’m also inclined to think there is one more possibility - underworld where dwarves and Asura fought Primordus. ANet proved multiple times that they can design underground locations pretty well.

  • Astralporing.1957Astralporing.1957 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 9, 2019

    @Omernon.9762 said:
    If they had any plans for future expansion, then they are most likely working on it as we speak.

    If they were working on one, it would have made it into their long-term plans they mentioned in that blog post after layoffs. Remember, expansion is a big thing. Just mentioning there's one being worked on would have done wonders to quell the uncertainty many players now feel about GW2 future - even if it was followed by a mention that it's not close to being ready. Instead of that, all we heard is Anet talking about how they see the future of GW2 in Living World delivery system.

    Anyone that still believes there's an expac coming, and are predicting where it is going to send us (Cantha, for sure...) is dreaming, and will almost certainly end up heavily disappointed.

    The whole point of a social game is to play with the people you want to play with, not be forced to play with the people you don't.

  • I have a feeling Season 5 will have expansion like content in it (more than 6 episodes, elite specs, more than one mount etc.) and we will be headed to Far Shiverpeaks for a bit (possibly 6 episodes of that) and then east into the Blood Legion Homelands (last 6 episodes) we shall wait and see what the 30th announces to us~

  • If Anet attempts to pass the LS5 off as an expansion like they did prior to HoT the results will be the same and it will amount to a nail in the coffin of a great game. Regardless of the content promised it will lead to a major loss of interest to many who have heard all this before, so I'll leave this here as it is absolutely relevant; Albert Einstein: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

  • maddoctor.2738maddoctor.2738 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Vlad Morbius.1759 said:
    If Anet attempts to pass the LS5 off as an expansion like they did prior to HoT the results will be the same and it will amount to a nail in the coffin of a great game. Regardless of the content promised it will lead to a major loss of interest to many who have heard all this before, so I'll leave this here as it is absolutely relevant; Albert Einstein: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

    It depends if LS5 will be like previous LS or they try something completely new and expansion-like this time. New Elite Specializations, new mastery abilities, new expansive maps that offer multiple different stories instead of focusing on a single story point, loads of new armors/weapons to be acquired in-game and so on, is what makes an expansion for me and what we don't get in the Living World.

  • Astralporing.1957Astralporing.1957 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @LadyGal.8365 said:
    I have a feeling Season 5 will have expansion like content in it (more than 6 episodes, elite specs, more than one mount etc.)

    If they could do that, then why wouldn't they bundle it up and sell as an expansion, getting better PR, and additional, not so insignificant income from box sales to boot? I mean, i don't see what they'd get from it to balance the loss of income.

    The only reason i can think why they might give us an LS season with an "expansion-like content" is because it wouldn't really be truly equal to an expansion worth of content.

    The whole point of a social game is to play with the people you want to play with, not be forced to play with the people you don't.

  • maddoctor.2738maddoctor.2738 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Astralporing.1957 said:

    @LadyGal.8365 said:
    I have a feeling Season 5 will have expansion like content in it (more than 6 episodes, elite specs, more than one mount etc.)

    If they could do that, then why wouldn't they bundle it up and sell as an expansion, getting better PR, and additional, not so insignificant income from box sales to boot? I mean, i don't see what they'd get from it to balance the loss of income.

    The only reason i can think why they might give us an LS season with an "expansion-like content" is because it wouldn't really be truly equal to an expansion worth of content.

    I can think of a few reasons:
    a) Season 5 episodes can start releasing much sooner than an expansion. If they went for expansion, there might be a need for a lengthy content drought, those aren't fun.
    b) It could be that they are re-thinking the expansion idea as a whole. Either because they want to go back to Season 1 system or to find another way of releasing their expansions.

  • Tiviana.2650Tiviana.2650 Member ✭✭✭

    I dont understand why they wouldnt make an expansion, unless they have no plans to further the game. That would mean maint mode imo.

  • Xenon.4537Xenon.4537 Member ✭✭✭

    @Vlad Morbius.1759 said:
    If Anet attempts to pass the LS5 off as an expansion... it will lead to a major loss of interest to many who have heard all this before...

    Pretty much this. I was there for the entire S1 experiment. It was a failure back then. The community outcry for real, meaty content was even worse back then than it is now. If anet tries to go back to that, they will just end up driving whats left of their veteran fans away.

    I don't care what anyone says. The living world is not a proper format for delivering substantive content. It's filler fluff. That's why it's free and only takes 2 hours to complete. I'd rather pay money for something I can really sink my teeth into.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.