Too Many Legendaries

Taste is subjective, so legendaries aren't necessarily the best-looking items in the game... however, due to the effort in obtaining one (and the subsequent status that that brings), I would rather equip a legendary skin than an item I find more aesthetically pleasing because I'm not going to spend all that valuable time and money to get something, only to not wear it. And with each expansion, classes get to equip more weapon types, which means more legendaries. Yup--this game is now about who has the most legendaries on. (And yes, I am fashion-ing for others to see how prestigious I am, not just for myself. I would never go through all the trouble of getting a legendary if I couldn't show it off to others.)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am sorry but I am trying to understand your point. Are you wanting anet to remove some legendaries? Are you asking them to limit the number that can be equipped by a single character? If so on either of these, do you have something more substantive than “I don’t like the skins but feel compelled to use them anyway”? Is that a fair characterization of your argument?

There are some arguments to be made from the problem of skill/skin effect bloat obscuring game play, but for some legendary weapons ARE a primary form of end game content. I cannot imagine that you are going to make a compelling argument even for the second much less the first.

If you see a problem in game, perhaps include suggestions on how you would like to see it resolved.

@Mortifera.6138 said:Taste is subjective, so legendaries aren't necessarily the best-looking items in the game... however, due to the effort in obtaining one (and the subsequent status that that brings), I would rather equip a legendary skin than an item I find more aesthetically pleasing because I'm not going to spend all that valuable time and money to get something, only to not wear it. And with each expansion, classes get to equip more weapon types, which means more legendaries. Yup--this game is now about who has the most legendaries on. (And yes, I am fashion-ing for others to see how prestigious I am, not just for myself. I would never go through all the trouble of getting a legendary if I couldn't show it off to others.)

ooook then.

@Moira Shalaar.5620 said:I am sorry but I am trying to understand your point. Are you wanting anet to remove some legendaries? Are you asking them to limit the number that can be equipped by a single character? If so on either of these, do you have something more substantive than “I don’t like the skins but feel compelled to use them anyway”? Is that a fair characterization of your argument?

There are some arguments to be made from the problem of skill/skin effect bloat obscuring game play, but for some legendary weapons ARE a primary form of end game content. I cannot imagine that you are going to make a compelling argument even for the second much less the first.

If you see a problem in game, perhaps include suggestions on how you would like to see it resolved.

I feel forced to wear legendaries despite not liking their cosmetics, because I worked really hard to get them. Maybe if we had a preview mode where we could actually run around in them for some time (like how we try out mounts), I wouldn't make the same mistake again.

@Mortifera.6138 said:

@"Moira Shalaar.5620" said:I am sorry but I am trying to understand your point. Are you wanting anet to remove some legendaries? Are you asking them to limit the number that can be equipped by a single character? If so on either of these, do you have something more substantive than “I don’t like the skins but feel compelled to use them anyway”? Is that a fair characterization of your argument?

I feel forced to wear legendaries despite not liking their cosmetics, because I worked really hard to get them. Maybe if we had a preview mode where we could actually wear them for some time (similar to trying out mounts), I wouldn't make the same mistake again.

"I feel forced to wear legendaries"

That is your personal issue, not one with the game. Anet doesn't impose requirements to own legendaries in order for you to play.

@Mortifera.6138 said:It's interesting that a horizontal progression game has managed to avoid all lashback in implementing a gear treadmill like every other MMO.

ascended and legendary, with ascended stats, are max level gear that are never devalued

go play another mmo that increases levels and you get to grind out new gear again, then come back to complain about gw2

@Mortifera.6138 said:It's interesting that a horizontal progression game has managed to avoid all lashback in implementing a gear treadmill like every other MMO.

um your point was about viewing legendary gear, you apparantly did not know you could view you character wielding legendaries for free at a wardrobe. No idea what that has got to do with the horizontal progress in GW2 (i.e the fixed max stats)

The current preview window, whilst needing improvements all round, works well enough to decide whether a legendary is something you are going to put a lot of work and time into.

And for the record, the game is 100% absolutely, unequivocably not about legendaries and how many you own/equip. The days where players care about showing off legendaries have long since past- they are too common a sight to have any real meaning in that way. Players are more impressed with an overall look that may or may not include a legendary item.

@Swagger.1459 said:

@"Moira Shalaar.5620" said:I am sorry but I am trying to understand your point. Are you wanting anet to remove some legendaries? Are you asking them to limit the number that can be equipped by a single character? If so on either of these, do you have something more substantive than “I don’t like the skins but feel compelled to use them anyway”? Is that a fair characterization of your argument?

I feel forced to wear legendaries despite not liking their cosmetics, because I worked really hard to get them. Maybe if we had a preview mode where we could actually wear them for some time (similar to trying out mounts), I wouldn't make the same mistake again.

That is your personal issue, not one with the game. Anet doesn't impose requirements to own legendaries in order for you to play.

A strangely common affliction among GW2 players.

@Khisanth.2948 said:

A strangely common affliction among GW2 players.

more likely players who have moved to GW2 but have not adapted their mindset from other games.

@"Randulf.7614" said:The current preview window, whilst needing improvements all round, works well enough to decide whether a legendary is something you are going to put a lot of work and time into.

And for the record, the game is 100% absolutely, unequivocably not about legendaries and how many you own/equip. The days where players care about showing off legendaries have long since past- they are too common a sight to have any real meaning in that way. Players are more impressed with an overall look that may or may not include a legendary item.

If it's "too common a sight", it's because they feel like they have to wear them instead of having them skinned over, further proving my point.

@Mortifera.6138 said:

@"Randulf.7614" said:The current preview window, whilst needing improvements all round, works well enough to decide whether a legendary is something you are going to put a lot of work and time into.

And for the record, the game is 100% absolutely, unequivocably
not
about legendaries and how many you own/equip. The days where players care about showing off legendaries have long since past- they are too common a sight to have any real meaning in that way. Players are more impressed with an overall look that may or may not include a legendary item.

If it's "too common a sight", it's because they feel like they have to wear them instead of skinning them over, further proving my point.

Or that they want to wear them?

Even if they feel they have to (and I'm guessing that's a low proportion), where's the issue to be addressed?

It is literally just a case of switching. If you don't like it, then take it off. No one will care if you wear it or not, so really it is only you this affects.

My Bolt sits in my bank. It's kinda annoying since I worked hard for it, but it simply doesn't fit any of my characters so I don't use or display it since better options exist. I used to have Kraitkin displayed on all me trident toons, now just the one since I found better skins to suit the other toons.

Also, the game is designed for switching around different weapons. You don't have to perma keep it out, just stash it in the invent and whip it out when you fancy it. I keep a small shield collection in my inventory because I love shield designs. I pretty much only use one favourite matching shield, but occasionally Ill switch out just for something different.

There are too many legendaries.

On every zerg I meet, I feel like there's a dozen or so legendary weapons flashing around. They feel like the most common skins these days.

So common, that I am actually proud that rarely I see others use the skins I do, my fashion sense has no equal. And usually didn't cost me any legendary journeys to acquire. :D

Legendaries reward players who consume materials and currencies with glamorous weapon effects in addition to the ascended stat's.

Legendary weapons exist to distribute "wealth" in the economy by rewarding farming (PvE, WvW, and PvP), which encourages playing the game and supporting the economy.

@Swagger.1459 said:

Pretty much this. It's more adequate and reasonable for you to handle your feelings towards something than for a companie to cater to them or change their game because of them.

@"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:I guess the Devs need to add a Title: "I made a Legendary so you could be impressed, I skinned over it because I don't like the way it looks"Would solve the problem, I guess. /shrug

The have the tech. Auto on reaper with GS and see how your GS (with any skin) gets frosty aura(for chill).Where am I going with this, is I really hope Gen3 legs would be 'faceless' so people can slap any skin they like but still have the 'legendary' effects.

Archived