Maybe, have the Ele gain stat buffs based on their current element

Noe.8032

I think a relatively simple yet fun away to rework the Elementalist would be to have them gain constant passive buffs to their statistics based on their current element. So that, instead of Elementalist having to pick specific elements they can use effectively, they can use all them decently but excel in specific ones.

So like, if they're attuned to water they gain a significant healing power buff, so that they can heal a decent amount with their abilities even if they don't have healing power investment. If they attune to earth they get a buff to toughness so they can absorb damage similar to a tank, then fire provides power and lightning maybe precision.

The idea would be that the elementalist is able to switch its playstyle on the fly regardless of its gear statistics by just changing elements, but it needs to invest in specific statistics and use specific traits to be able to perform roles as well as other classes that specialize in them. So without any healing power investment, the buff while attuned to water allows them to heal decently but if they want to heal as well as something like a guard they'd need to actually invest their gear into it. Yet at the same time, with all their gear in healing power they would still be able to switch to fire or lightning and deal acceptable damage but not as much as a full on damage class.

The buffs could scale based on how much of that statistic you already have, so if you invest all into one the buff won't be as powerful so that you can't make like an ultimate built with infinite damage or healing or such. They could even have you receive debuffs to your other statistics based on your element, so you literally have to change elements situationally based on what you need.

The elementalist would become like a versatile master of none where they can fill any role acceptably and then can choose to be better at a particular one for specialty. Right now it seems like the elementalist is incomplete, they have the abilities to switch to any kind of role they want but the gear statistics in this game don't allow them to properly do that. If the elementalist gained buffs per element that allowed them to fulfill any role decently, alternating their elements would actually matter outside of cycling through attacks since each element would change their playstyle instantly.

@sephiroth.4217 said:uhm.....We already get stat buffs based on attunements and attunements already provide different styles?

I've never even noticed them, so they don't seem to actually make much of a difference do they.

Attunements do provide different playstyles, I literally said that, but you can't use them effectively unless you specifically dump your statistics into them. Yet you have access to all the elements at once, but have to pick which ones are actually effective when you're supposed to be a master of all them.

@Aisling.5901 said:

@"sephiroth.4217" said:uhm.....We already get stat buffs based on attunements and attunements already provide different styles?

I've never even noticed them, so they don't seem to actually make much of a difference do they.

Attunements do provide different playstyles, I literally said that, but you can't use them effectively unless you specifically dump your statistics into them. Yet you have access to all the elements at once, but have to pick which ones are actually effective when you're supposed to be a master of all them.

Air gives a tonne of ferocity just as fire provides a tonne of power..This video will give you an idea, Celestial stats that use fire/air stat buffs..

Sounds like you may need to play your ele more and really dive into the class..

@sephiroth.4217 said:

@sephiroth.4217 said:uhm.....We already get stat buffs based on attunements and attunements already provide different styles?

Air gives a tonne of ferocity just as fire provides a tonne of power..

Sounds you like didn't read my topic considering that the buffs you say exist do not accomplish what I am suggesting. All you're saying is that the base feature I am suggesting exists, even though in its current state it is not prominent enough to accomplish the result I am suggesting. This is pointless to discuss if you're just going to ignore the entire point of my post and try to dismiss it because an ineffective version of what i'm talking about already exists. I'm talking about one that actually makes a difference.

@Aisling.5901 said:

Sounds you like didn't read my topic considering that the buffs you say exist do not accomplish what I am suggesting. All you're saying is that the base feature I am suggesting exists, even though in its current state it is not prominent enough to accomplish the result I am suggesting. This is pointless to discuss if you're just going to ignore the entire point of my post and try to dismiss it because an ineffective version of what i'm talking about already exists. I'm talking about one that actually makes a difference.

300+ power from fire and about 25% or more ferocity isn't enough?

Im not ignoring anything, I just think you need to dive into the class for more insight before throwing out reworks and other various suggestions.

@sephiroth.4217 said:

Im not ignoring anything, I just think you need to dive into the class for more insight before throwing out reworks and other various suggestions.

And ele needs far more to be on the same level of other classes dmg because ele skills are balanced with the ideal of maxing out an effect NOT the ideal of balanced skills. Its a problem to lock these effect behind traits when they should be locked behind atuments that the ele is in.

Every one forgets that traits and gear are far more imports to the ele class then the atument as well as the wepon your using.

One of the complaints about elementalists is how much each element is aligned to a particular role, and how being temporarily locked out of the attunement screws you up.

For instance: if you are a healing based spec, the elementalist should be camping water. Yet if they need something else, say, defense, switching to earth, even if just for one survival skill, means being locked out of water for several seconds. This is generally noticeable while being locked away from the DPS elements (fire 1st, air 2nd).

This suggestion would probably just make worse this situation of each element being too specialized to their role. People have been arguing for the opposite: have traits be more useful regardless of channeled element, rather than simply reinforcing their own.

@sephiroth.4217 said:

300+ power and or 25% isn't remotely enough to give the ele decent damage without already having to sink gear into it. And you're ignoring earth and water. Which, I know, do not buff you enough either to tank or heal without already sinking statistics into it.

Which is the entire point of my post, that they need buffs which allow them to be effective at each playstyle based on their attunement and not their gear.

@Skotlex.7580 said:One of the complaints about elementalists is how much each element is aligned to a particular role, and how being temporarily locked out of the attunement screws you up.

For instance: if you are a healing based spec, the elementalist should be camping water. Yet if they need something else, say, defense, switching to earth, even if just for one survival skill, means being locked out of water for several seconds. This is generally noticeable while being locked away from the DPS elements (fire 1st, air 2nd).

This suggestion would probably just make worse this situation of each element being too specialized to their role. People have been arguing for the opposite: have traits be more useful regardless of channeled element, rather than simply reinforcing their own.

That's the entire point of the elements is that they're aligned to specific roles, they're straight up built around that idea. Problem is the game doesn't go all the way and allow you to actually perform each role effectively you're force to align to specific ones; and make the others lackluster because they've been made for specific builds. Which is what I'm suggesting, is making it so you can perform all the roles decently.

You're locked out of each role for a couple seconds, depending on your build. That kind of is the sacrifice of completely changing your role on the fly, and in the time it takes you to use all your abilities it's potentially already cooled down by then.

@Jski.6180 said:

And ele needs far more to be on the same level of other classes dmg because ele skills are balanced with the ideal of maxing out an effect NOT the ideal of balanced skills. Its a problem to lock these effect behind traits when they should be locked behind atuments that the ele is in.

Every one forgets that traits and gear are far more imports to the ele class then the atument as well as the wepon your using.

Eles need far more skill to be as effective as most classes this is true but this is also the attraction, its not an easy class to master or even be good at..

All attunements serve purpose and can be used in conjunction to produce alternative effects.

Ele is one of these great classes where the effective ones or good ones have built around thier own playstyle and utilizes everything available to them.

@sephiroth.4217 said:

Eles need far more skill to be as effective as most classes this is true but this is also the attraction, its not an easy class to master or even be good at..

All attunements serve purpose and can be used in conjunction to produce alternative effects.

Ele is one of these great classes where the effective ones or good ones have built around thier own playstyle and utilizes everything available to them.

Ele has to hit more buttons to come close to other classes in all game types. The level of skill to play the ele class is on a different level then other classes for equal or below equal out put.

Ele is the worst class in GW2. Its also the one class with out a decanted dev of any type so its only going to get worst.

AND ANET KNOWS IT.

@Aisling.5901 said:

300+ power and or 25% isn't remotely enough to give the ele decent damage without already having to sink gear into it. And you're ignoring earth and water. Which, I know, do not buff you enough either to tank or heal without already sinking statistics into it.

Which is the entire point of my post, that they need buffs which allow them to be effective at each playstyle based on their attunement and not their gear.

@Skotlex.7580 said:One of the complaints about elementalists is how much each element is aligned to a particular role, and how being temporarily locked out of the attunement screws you up.

That's the entire point of the elements is that they're aligned to specific roles, they're straight up built around that idea. Problem is the game doesn't go all the way and allow you to actually perform each role effectively you're force to align to specific ones; and make the others lackluster because they've been made for specific builds. Which is what I'm suggesting, is making it so you can perform all the roles decently.

You're locked out of each role for a couple seconds, depending on your build. That kind of is the sacrifice of completely changing your role on the fly, and in the time it takes you to use all your abilities it's potentially already cooled down by then.

Define role for me...Using fire and air for damage?Using air and earth for CCUsing Water, Earth and fire for might stacking before using air for damage?Using Water and Earth to support?all of that can be done already and each requires adjusting.All attunements can be used in conjunction with eachother and flow exceptionally well once you learn your rotations. (watch the vid I posted, just an example but I always Leap out of fire/air fields for the CC or burn/might stacking and heals by using fire and earth, not locked out my heals at all even in fire and earth)

But what would I know since Ive only played since beta and have 6 elementalists..

@Jski.6180 said:

Ele has to hit more buttons to come close to other classes in all game types. The level of skill to play the ele class is on a different level then other classes for equal or below equal out put.

Ele is the worst class in GW2. Its also the one class with out a decanted dev of any type so its only going to get worst.

AND ANET KNOWS IT.

It is not the worst class, it's one of the hardest classes... that's the attraction to most just like the playstyle..

Its basically the only class that holds true to the old ways of gaming in GW2 before HoT/PoF power creep.. An era where you had to use skills in succession to be successful instead of pressing what ever comes off cooldown.. You very much have to use this class with conviction and know what you're doing and know where you want to go.

@sephiroth.4217 said:

AND ANET KNOWS IT.

It is not the worst class, it's one of the hardest classes... that's the attraction to most just like the playstyle..

Its basically the only class that holds true to the old ways of gaming in GW2 before HoT/PoF power creep.. An era where you had to use skills in succession to be successful instead of pressing what ever comes off cooldown.. You very much have to use this class with conviction and know what you're doing and know where you want to go.

Ideally ele is the most balanced class in gw2 but all the other classes got a lot of power creep when they added in new effects. Ele is the worst class in gw2 because it truly got nothing new (no new boons or counter boons). Ele is both a hard class to play and the defector worst (i guess there got to be one in every game but it sux when these line up as they have hardest to play and the worst at doing every thing).

This is all on anet and they DO understand that ele is the "gimp" class of gw2 they know for years.

@Jski.6180 said:

AND ANET KNOWS IT.

Ideally ele is the most balanced class in gw2 but all the other classes got a lot of power creep when they added in new effects. Ele is the worst class in gw2 because it truly got nothing new (no new boons or counter boons). Ele is both a hard class to play and the defector worst (i guess there got to be one in every game but it sux when these line up as they have hardest to play and the worst at doing every thing).

This is all on anet and they DO understand that ele is the "kitten" class of gw2 they know for years.

so maybe some other classes could be toned down instead? or atleast thier CC lolthats where ele is bad, we dont have the stab output to keep up with the abundance of CC and we are forced to take healing just to give our heals any value unlike berserker holo or something that can heal for more than an ele invested into healing power...

@sephiroth.4217 said:

AND ANET KNOWS IT.

This is all on anet and they DO understand that ele is the "kitten" class of gw2 they know for years.

so maybe some other classes could be toned down instead? or atleast thier CC lolthats where ele is bad, we dont have the stab output to keep up with the abundance of CC and we are forced to take healing just to give our heals any value unlike berserker holo or something that can heal for more than an ele invested into healing power...

Sadly that will not work ele being comply locked out of effects is what causing the problem. As long as ele cant do at least some effects such as boon strip counter heal or give out a powerful support boon or converter condis into boon ele is always going to be the "worst in X" for the rest of gw2 life span. You can make the same argument with the lack of a stealth and/or the lack of counter stealth.

@Jski.6180 said:

AND ANET KNOWS IT.

Sadly that will not work ele being comply locked out of effects is what causing the problem. As long as ele cant do at least some effects such as boon strip counter heal or give out a powerful support boon or converter condis into boon ele is always going to be the "worst in X" for the rest of gw2 life span. You can make the same argument with the lack of a stealth and/or the lack of counter stealth.

Ele can boonstrip with sigils ans hold perma fury uptime for allies but I get ya now, instead of ele being a jack of all trades like it is you want it to be a master of all trades.. We already had this era in PvP and was the reason we got butchered after a 5 man ESL elementalist team worked thier magic.Not only was the class heavily toned down but they also removed viable amulets such as Celestial and reintroduced it back into the system with lowered stats.

@sephiroth.4217 said:

AND ANET KNOWS IT.

Ele can boonstrip with sigils ans hold perma fury uptime for allies but I get ya now, instead of ele being a jack of all trades like it is you want it to be a master of all trades.. We already had this era in PvP and was the reason we got butchered after a 5 man ESL elementalist team worked thier magic.Not only was the class heavily toned down but they also removed viable amulets such as Celestial and reintroduced it back into the system with lowered stats.

Lol boonstrip sigil sadly dose not do enofe for this game you need at least 5 tragets strip or a lot of strip in one shot. Fury is a free boon that nearly every class has or can get with out too much given up. Powerfull boons are things like quickness alictory is what needed on ele for attk and for def its stab and reiscistales (ele support stab is balanced for before the stab nerf now its nothing).

Rev just dose every thing better then ele at all points of the game. It IS the better ele class with better armor and hp with a wepon swap and chose able atuments.

@Jski.6180 said:

AND ANET KNOWS IT.

Lol boonstrip sigil sadly dose not do enofe for this game you need at least 5 tragets strip or a lot of strip in one shot. Fury is a free boon that nearly every class has or can get with out too much given up. Powerfull boons are things like quickness alictory is what needed on ele for attk and for def its stab and reiscistales (ele support stab is balanced for before the stab nerf now its nothing).

Rev just dose every thing better then ele at all points of the game. It IS the better ele class with better armor and hp with a wepon swap and chose able atuments.

those 2 aren't even comparable..Rev is more like Thief..

Let me just clarify though that all of what I said has been with PvP and WvW in mind, everything is completely different for PvE

@sephiroth.4217 said:

AND ANET KNOWS IT.

Let me just clarify though that all of what I said has been with PvP and WvW in mind, everything is completely different for PvE

Revs are more mages like in wvw then ele is mostly due to culling of animations of hammer and staff skills ( too am talking about wvw and lesser pvp pve is a pure numbers game any one in zerk armor can make do but ele has that added glassness to deal with).

@Jski.6180 said:

AND ANET KNOWS IT.

Revs are more mages like in wvw then ele is mostly due to culling of animations of hammer and staff skills ( too am talking about wvw and lesser pvp pve is a pure numbers game any one in zerk armor can make do but ele has that added glassness to deal with).

I was about to add that ele also has Auras but for WvW zergin then yea it may be, I only really solo to small group for WvW and builds and styles are completely different to zergin

@Op

I think you are taking the issue of the elementalist from the wrong angle. The problem with the elementalist is that it's different "roles" are to tied to their attunments. You can add more and more stats and it won't fix the issue. On the opposite, to make the elementalist "better" you'd have to lessen the impact of the element you are currently in since it would reduce the imbalance between elements (increasing damage in "defensive" attunments and increasing resilience of the "offensive" attunment.)

I think a good first step to achieve that would be to modify the first minors of Fire, Air, Earth and Water magic. These minors when "equiped" need to be available whatever your attunment. And thus, building with fire magic would grant you a net power bonus whatever your attunment, building in air, would grant you movement speed, building in earth would allow you some toughness and building in water would allow you a permanent "regen".

The second step would be to get rid of the "attunment" 's masteries. Seriously, 4 unimaginative traits to reduce cool down on weapon skills while in a specific attunments, this is even more toxic that 10 traits dedicated to specifics weapons. If you are a "fire master" make it so other attunment carry the power of fire, don't just buff unimaginatively a single attunment.

This is where the "magic" traitline fail, they are to focus on a single attunment while they should instead add their power to the elementalist as a whole. In the vanilla game, when lingering attunment still exist, those traits had something to justify their existence, however, now that lingering attunment is gone, those traits need to change because they don't have a "raison d'etre" anymore.

@Dadnir.5038 said:@Op

I think you are taking the issue of the elementalist from the wrong angle. The problem with the elementalist is that it's different "roles" are to tied to their attunments. You can add more and more stats and it won't fix the issue. On the opposite, to make the elementalist "better" you'd have to lessen the impact of the element you are currently in since it would reduce the imbalance between elements (increasing damage in "defensive" attunments and increasing resilience of the "offensive" attunment.)

I think a good first step to achieve that would be to modify the first minors of Fire, Air, Earth and Water magic. These minors when "equiped" need to be available whatever your attunment. And thus, building with fire magic would grant you a net power bonus whatever your attunment, building in air, would grant you movement speed, building in earth would allow you some toughness and building in water would allow you a permanent "regen".

The second step would be to get rid of the "attunment" 's masteries. Seriously, 4 unimaginative traits to reduce cool down on weapon skills while in a specific attunments, this is even more toxic that 10 traits dedicated to specifics weapons. If you are a "fire master" make it so other attunment carry the power of fire, don't just buff unimaginatively a single attunment.

This is where the "magic" traitline fail, they are to focus on a single attunment while they should instead add their power to the elementalist as a whole. In the vanilla game, when lingering attunment still exist, those traits had something to justify their existence, however, now that lingering attunment is gone, those traits need to change because they don't have a "raison d'etre" anymore.

Just that.

@Dadnir.5038 said:@Op

Personally I wouldnt mind, if traits like Empowering Flames or Zephyr's Speed would work similar to the warrior trait Forceful Greatsword.Where you get, let say, a flat 100 bonus power from Empowering Flames and an additional 50 when in Fire Attunement.

Archived