Tonics to Outfits. It's still time.

Rauderi.8706

Since I imagine we'll be seeing some well-worn topics making their appearance again, I figured I may as well start mine with a greatest hit, as it were.

Original text

! * When the wardrobe system first got its rollout, several fashion pieces weren’t supported. Those became infinite-use tonics, much to the disappointment of many people who invested gems. While refunds were given in a timely fashion (and I’m thankful for that), it’s still a disappointment. We can’t take them into combat and there are no dye channels. Most regrettably, we can’t mix and match with town clothes, which are also tonics. This can change, now that we have outfits. Easy-on, easy-off, combat-capable, and dye-customizable, outfits have seen some great support from the design staff. With that in mind, it’s time to allow us to convert those tonics into outfits, so we can use them better.

It was also a topic of recent discussion on the old forums, so it's worth keeping alive.

The old town-clothes designs are perfect targets for outfits. They're low-key, which is something a lot of players have been asking for amidst a sea of sparkly, big-shouldered, exceedingly elaborate/techno designs. (I like 'em, but a little variety, plskthx.) We can hope they wouldn't be much work to convert from tonic to outfit, fingers crossed the assets are still usable; dye channels might be a bit of a chore.

I was tempted to start this as a poll, because that's a forum feature, but sound off in the comments and let's see some support~

@AegisRunestone.8672 said:I really want Town Clothes outfits. I'd easily buy them from the gemstore. I don't like have a Towns Clothes Tonic taking up a space in my inventory. :/

I think the basic Town Clothes outfit should be automatically granted free to everyone. The ones that required purchasing should definitely be put into the gemstore. They already exist so it should be an easy sell.

I wholeheartedly agree, with my usual addendum that some of their choices for what to mix-match into tonics were aesthetically less than pleasing. Riding pants with a hoodie? Ok, ok, the only two leg choices that weren't race specific were shorts and jodhpurs, but I really desperately want my human male trousers with hoodie back. Bonus for using low shoes or simple boots (Fancy Winter Boots work well peeping out from under the trousers) instead of Riding Boots. I'd embed suggested town clothes mixes if image hosting wasn't such an issue now and my time short due to Tuesday errands looming.

I may try to find a way to get links to images once I a) have time and b) have a way to link to just the image rather than the surrounding hosting page.

I know I used them a bit when they first debuted. The tedium of having to reapply my look (my undyeable, terribly mashed together look) every 15 minutes during tense RP time nixed them pretty fast.

I seldom, if ever, use the term "salty" about myself or others. This may be the first time ever, actually. But yes, I am salty about what happened to the town clothes.

@Dante.1763 said:I just thought of something that maybe only ANET can answer(if at all) how often do players even use the tonics, i never see anybody doing it at all.

I would but they go away when you map change, only last 15 mins and you lose utilities.

I can live with no dye channels, but even just making them like the new tonics i would use them all the time tbh.

@Donari.5237 said:I know I used them a bit when they first debuted. The tedium of having to reapply my look (my undyeable, terribly mashed together look) every 15 minutes during tense RP time nixed them pretty fast.

I seldom, if ever, use the term "salty" about myself or others. This may be the first time ever, actually. But yes, I am salty about what happened to the town clothes.

I mean, i was too. I hardly use them to begin with because i thought they didnt look great. They could have been amazing if combined with other armor pieces but it wasnt a thing(i main a charr) and after they became tonics i simply forgot about them, there wasnt any point at all anymore.

@Boysenberry.1869 said:I think the basic Town Clothes outfit should be automatically granted free to everyone. The ones that required purchasing should definitely be put into the gemstore. They already exist so it should be an easy sell.

Agree on that. would love to see more more townclothes types per race too. (I like to see more outfits for charr that show their fur too.But the basic one, add that one for free :)

I want to wear my Khaki tonic as an outfit on my thief!! :C Because you can use only weapon skills and no utilities. Nonetheless it's really disappointing that it's simply a timed tonic with 0 dye options and not a wonderful outfit. I think all the clothing tonics should be made into outfits. Maybe drink like a potion 1 time and it gets added to your outfits wardrobe.

@Boysenberry.1869 said:

@AegisRunestone.8672 said:I really want Town Clothes outfits. I'd easily buy them from the gemstore. I don't like have a Towns Clothes Tonic taking up a space in my inventory. :/

I think the basic Town Clothes outfit should be automatically granted free to everyone. The ones that required purchasing should definitely be put into the gemstore. They already exist so it should be an easy sell.

I totally agree with you. I think that would be just awesome. :)

@Donari.5237 said:I wholeheartedly agree, with my usual addendum that some of their choices for what to mix-match into tonics were aesthetically less than pleasing.

Sounds like an opportunity to run a few polls, get some player feedback on style combos and get to cranking out those outfits.

Because I really do want my hoodie and shorts back.

I'll be honest and say that I didn't really care that they removed the town clothing slots, since most of the clothing were not my style, but why not have the "town clothing" slots as an "undergarments" so when your armor breaks down you go into your "undergarments" or "town clothing"?

Also, I want more underwear more underwear options. lol :)

I love the idea of adding more use for these great designs but my preferences would be to go all the way to converting them to armor skins. They originally were segmented and organized as essentially armor skins without any armor value and I think that would make their designs particularly suitable to being adapted to this. So I am very much in favor of eliminating their implementation as temporary tonics, or tonics of any kind, but would much rather see them upgraded to being skins.

Thank you for keeping this topic alive. Having been someone who was here from the very beginning I definitely still frequently think about this and wish a better solution will be implemented.

@Daenji.5280I certainly wouldn't mind if they could be converted to armor skins!It's an unfortunate circumstance that the three main rigs (heavy, medium, light) are different enough that they don't line up properly. Which means a rather heavy load on trying to get them to fit chest/legging pieces.And to be honest, while I say it'd probably be easy to change tonics over to outfits, I'm not even sure the rigs for what the old town clothes used to go on and the rig for the outfits are similar enough. But fingers crossed! If ANet can surprise us with new forums, maybe tonic->outfit isn't far behind?

Archived