What happened after the scarlet event? (returning player)

If you were here for Belinda/Fort Salma, then you can indeed still play through all you missed. You don't even have to own the chapters if you have someone willing to take you through the instances and tell you about the open world parts for LS2. You do have to own HoT to do the HoT story and you have to own the LS3 chapters because the maps are only open once you do.

Failing a play through, the wiki should have a summary of the story, though its best summary is of LS1.

Summary from what I understand in a few lines...

! Tyria: we screwed, Pact: hold my beer, Pact: we screwed, Commander and friends: hold my beer, Tyria: might have overdone it, Balthazar: I want all the beer

Details:

! Ley energy, sylvari connected to jungle dragon control, found glints egg, pact attack dragon in maguuma, destroyed and shattered lots of people dead or dying , regroup, commander leads team, everyone wants glints egg, gets it to safety with forgotten city in the jungle, sylvari mordremoth minions, kill mordremoth, discovers killing dragons upsets ley energy and magic energy balance, white mantle with mursaat Lazarus aka balthazar in disguise trying to absorb energy from dragons, Balthazar apparently is back and hungry for power and wants to kill Kralk for magic, something like that but way more complex interesting and epic

Archived