WvW Didn't need gliding, and definitely doesn't need mounts.

Idaeus.9564

Gliding didn't add anything good to WvW, why are we trying to add more mechanics that make the game mode duller. Also why is gliding still in this game mode. The only real change is it makes some easy to defend objectives easier to defend, and easier for people to escape fights when it isn't going their way.If you are so eager on killing the game mode more at least make Eotm playable for roaming and fights again.

In your opinion. Gliding added a lot of depth to WvW and fit even more into vertical aspects of the maps. This was a welcome change. It also added more value in owning land that you choose to fight over since it added more strategy into want you want to hold and what allows you to move around faster. Fights now were no longer X & Y but you had to consider Z. IMO, they added a lot of value.

@TheGrimm.5624 said:In your opinion. Gliding added a lot of depth to WvW and fit even more into vertical aspects of the maps. This was a welcome change. It also added more value in owning land that you choose to fight over since it added more strategy into want you want to hold and what allows you to move around faster. Fights now were no longer X & Y but you had to consider Z. IMO, they added a lot of value.

The vertical aspect was more important beforehand because it gave terrain that was potentially deadly and areas were fight dodgers couldn't escape easily. Defending objectives with even numbers was already easy enough. Maybe if you made it so you can't start gliding when already in combat it would be alright.

@Pwent.2639 said:

@TheGrimm.5624 said:In your opinion. Gliding added a lot of depth to WvW and fit even more into vertical aspects of the maps. This was a welcome change. It also added more value in owning land that you choose to fight over since it added more strategy into want you want to hold and what allows you to move around faster. Fights now were no longer X & Y but you had to consider Z. IMO, they added a lot of value.

The vertical aspect was more important beforehand because it gave terrain that was potentially deadly and areas were fight dodgers couldn't escape easily. Defending objectives with even numbers was already easy enough. Maybe if you made it so you can't start gliding when already in combat it would be alright.

Ah, but there is also the added fun of knockbacks and such against gliders that's a side game on it own. To watch someone who thought they were safe go splat, priceless.

The mount might be a good thing, I'm looking forward to obtaining it. I don't like the idea that now zerging will be super fast, i.e. we all mount up and storm to new locations really fast, BUT it could be good. We'll see. And if they can bash down doors, I guess my Rams are pointless XD Unless we can get dismounted obv.

@Hugheszie.6291 said:The mount might be a good thing, I'm looking forward to obtaining it. I don't like the idea that now zerging will be super fast, i.e. we all mount up and storm to new locations really fast, BUT it could be good. We'll see. And if they can bash down doors, I guess my Rams are pointless XD Unless we can get dismounted obv.

Yeah, not crafting any guild rams for this weekend lol. Might be a good time to place some low bids on the TP.

@TheGrimm.5624 said:

@Hugheszie.6291 said:The mount might be a good thing, I'm looking forward to obtaining it. I don't like the idea that now zerging will be super fast, i.e. we all mount up and storm to new locations really fast, BUT it could be good. We'll see. And if they can bash down doors, I guess my Rams are pointless XD Unless we can get dismounted obv.

Yeah, not crafting any guild rams for this weekend lol. Might be a good time to place some low bids on the TP.

It's going to be interesting at least. It's something new for us. It'll change the way we play and plan. It'll add a new dynamic to WVW.

Inc on mounts > Mount up > Do big circle really fast > boom suprise > new fight.Zerg inc > Mount to other side of map to take their keep > Sudden arrival of enemy

It might make WVW encounters happen even faster, who knows?

We'll find out. :)

The only thing that will be super annoying will be the queues from all the PVE players trying to get the mount, but that'll die off. At least we might get to keep some of the PVE players who find they enjoy WVW and otherwise, have not bothered with it.

@Hugheszie.6291 said:

It's going to be interesting at least. It's something new for us. It'll change the way we play and plan. It'll add a new dynamic to WVW.

Inc on mounts >
Mount up
> Do big circle really fast >
boom suprise
> new fight.
Zerg inc
>
Mount to other side of map to take their keep
>
Sudden arrival of enemy

It might make WVW encounters happen even faster, who knows?

The only thing that will be super annoying will be the queues from all the PVE players trying to get the mount, but that'll die off. At least we might get to keep some of the PVE players who find they enjoy WVW and otherwise, have not bothered with it.

Agree. Again played Warhammer Online for 5+ years and we had mounts, roamers and havoc were alive and strong, its matter of adapting. Already thinking about the hit and run tactics to pull the enemy zerg off chasing a havoc and loving map chat when we are able to run them head long into our zerg or if it allows out zerg on another map to knock out a T3.

Well, as a commander that applies the sudden charge rule to my groups, I like the idea of mounts.

Since mostly these days, people stack, wait, sit on a corner, then move in, pull back and repeat for 5 mins - my sudden charge without any pre-plan more often than not, sends the enemy running. Mounts will make my approach even more powerful!

"Fight till the death! CHARGE!"

Disclaimer: Often I get everyone killed. But we have fun.

@Hugheszie.6291 said:It might make WVW encounters happen even faster, who knows?

I'm assuming this was their rationale. I'm also assuming they're trying to get PvE players into WvW before the alliance update. People may panic, but ultimately, I think they're trying to make WvW appealing to those who otherwise never touch it.

@Hugheszie.6291 said:

@Hugheszie.6291 said:I just spent 10 mins chasing a theif in EBG... Hate them so much, just run run run away... Wimps!

If i had that mount... Different story! lol

Oh wait he'd have one too... So the thieves will still be wimps.

why are you chasing him for 10 minutes if you dont enjoy it ? :3

I never said I didn't enjoy it.

if you enjoy chasing them, why do you hate them running away? would you prefer them killing you?

@Pwent.2639 said:

This.

By reducing the impact of terrain features on the battlefield, gliding reduced tactical play IMO.

@hunkamania.7561 said:Gliding wasn't even as bad as people thought. I'm guessing mounts will be the same. People panic a little much

It was actually worse than i thougt. Not only is it silly that birds attack you when you glide outside of your borders. The game can't even keep the gliders in sync. + It added several more ways to do exploits.

Archived