Warclaw is not the first mount in WvW...so stop overreacting

EremiteAngel.9765

Golems and assault rollers already exist.Both can deal siege damage.One has lots of mobilityBoth have decent Defensive boost as well as decent damage.

So warclaw is nothing new to WvW really.It is probably gated behind a high WvW rank seeing that they are giving us a double wxp week. So they won't be easily available.Also we all know mounts die when you sneeze on them.

As a necro, I look forward to using it to close the gap on all you kiting buggers with love.

https://www.mmogames.com/gamenews/guild-wars-2-wvw-mount-warclaw-announced/?fbclid=IwAR11j0rg19p7zuxd632YAapelh35JdY0mPZ7YHfZSccf9IqnzZWzgY1Bl0k

3 abilities that needs to be unlocked. So probably only high level WvW players can use them fully.The 3rd one I like. Evade plus speed boost. Keehahaha.

Oh and I hope we get to reskin the mounts.

While I don't fully disagree with you that we've had things similar to mounts in WvW, the cost of accessing the Golems and the Assault Roller are the trade off and why they aren't used as much. You can't just pop the Assault Roller to chase down a kiting group of players and you can't just pop a Golem down at a siege gate and deal massive damage without having multiple players around to dump supplies into it, usually only netting you one. They have costs and preparation you need to put into it in order to use. If you could just press a button and pop into the dune roller, I'd imagine zergs would already be running it right now.

Effectively, it looks like we might be getting the mobility of the assault roller with the damage dealing of a golem for free (in that area anyway). And that to me is troubling. I really hope there is some sort of supply based cost for mounting up or attacking gates. The whole World XP restriction to obtaining the mount will likely be no big hurdle considering how the vets in WvW probably have more points to spend on the Mount Mastery then will even be needed.

The mount may be called Warclaw but the species of cat may be a Lag-uar. One of my concerns with the possibility of mounts is how many will be up and moving about the screen at once. I don't often have issues in wvw, but on certain occasions when you have hobbitesque battles of 3 armies in smc, lag is real. I'm just imagining what it will be like with so much extra graphic taxing additives, or lag could be the hidden 4th ability of the Warclaw. Still, despite my apprehension, I can't help but be curious and semi-optimistic. I don't feel like gliding ruined wvw, maybe it will be fine.

Golems require you to build them at a static location using a lot of resources, you can't just push a button and summon it.

Rollers require an upgraded camp to generate and due to this are extremely rare.

Your comparison makes no sense.

Gliders are at least restricted to your own areas of control, however the mount is clearly not due to its ability to attack gates and evade through chokes into enemy forts.

@"EremiteAngel.9765" said:Golems and assault rollers already exist.Both can deal siege damage.One has lots of mobilityBoth have decent Defensive boost as well as decent damage.

So warclaw is nothing new to WvW really.It is probably gated behind a high WvW rank seeing that they are giving us a double wxp week. So they won't be easily available.Also we all know mounts die when you sneeze on them.

As a necro, I look forward to using it to close the gap on all you kiting buggers with love.

https://www.mmogames.com/gamenews/guild-wars-2-wvw-mount-warclaw-announced/?fbclid=IwAR11j0rg19p7zuxd632YAapelh35JdY0mPZ7YHfZSccf9IqnzZWzgY1Bl0k

3 abilities that needs to be unlocked. So probably only high level WvW players can use them fully.The 3rd one I like. Evade plus speed boost. Keehahaha.

If it's not new then why aren't all necros using dune rollers? :P

@"EremiteAngel.9765" said:Golems and assault rollers already exist.Both can deal siege damage.One has lots of mobilityBoth have decent Defensive boost as well as decent damage.

Those "kiting buggers" will simply run from you (ridiculously easy since you play necro) , kite you, you will die the same. Gl chasing a mesmer-holo-soulbeast-thief-spellbreaker as necro

People should especially stop overreacting until we know the speed of the thing and whether certain passives are still active while mounted or boons can be applied.

From a technical "it-doesnt-affect-wvw-that-much" standpoint if the speed is base 25% and you cant get boons, then vanilla/hot is still very much viable - in fact its faster to run. If you can get boons from things like rev and the mount speed is max 33% then zerging still works fine for all versions of the game. In terms of roaming its a nerf for dedicated roamers and levelling the field vs certain slower classes - which is what people constantly cry about.

The only way this can end up a dumpster fire is if the mount speed is way faster than what anyone can normally run and it start to seriously mess up random zerging. Which at least out of combat shouldnt even be possible - top speed is ~400 afaik even for mounts and almost everyone is already running at that in zergs with perma swiftness. Even 66% speed (speed runes) is near zero difference from 33% ooc.

In combat I assume you gonna get dismounted as soon as someone damage or cc you.If they add a knockdown to forced dismounts then just plain running near combat areas would always be better for fast classes.

@"Dawdler.8521" said:People should especially stop overreacting until we know the speed of the thing and whether certain passives are still active while mounted or boons can be applied.I agree people should stop overreacting since we don't know how this will impact WvW. However there are reasons to be initially concerned. Base mount speed is about 50% faster than a player with speed in PvE. This means the response time for a defensive force may be substantially better which can make taking SMC or the like much more difficult from a superior force. Basically a heavily populated server may have an even bigger advantage with mounts.

Long term the issues mounts present in WvW will likely be adjusted. We saw this with gliding, WvW level abilities and several other WvW changes over the years. Short term I am sure there will be some issues but long term I suspect mounts will simply be another "thing" in the game.

@Straegen.2938 said:

@Dawdler.8521 said:People should especially stop overreacting until we know the
speed
of the thing and whether certain passives are still active while mounted or boons can be applied.I agree people should stop overreacting since we don't know how this will impact WvW. However there are reasons to be initially concerned. Base mount speed is about 50% faster than a player with speed in PvE. This means the response time for a defensive force may be substantially better which can make taking SMC or the like much more difficult from a superior force. Basically a heavily populated server may have an even bigger advantage with mounts.

increased speed can be abused by everyone not just the superior defensive force and usually the larger the group, the less efficient they use their movement tools.

for example it also can make smaller groups a much greater annoyance. if your a half decent roamer / havoc group etc. and you start sieging something, then the scouts usually got to call in reinforcements as they wont be killing you and without killing their opponent they wont get rid of em (as roamers tend to place offensive siege better than mindless blobs, at least in EU). so then they call in a much larger force to one object and by the time they are done clearing your siege, your already attacking somewhere else :3. the mounts may reduce the traveltime but they wont reduce the communication time the larger group needs to notice and react to you.

i think in the long run it will mainly be: less traveltime, more action. wich i do think is good for the mode.

@"Straegen.2938" said:I agree people should stop overreacting since we don't know how this will impact WvW. However there are reasons to be initially concerned. Base mount speed is about 50% faster than a player with speed in PvE. This means the response time for a defensive force may be substantially better which can make taking SMC or the like much more difficult from a superior force. Basically a heavily populated server may have an even bigger advantage with mounts.

Except 50% is not faster ooc, that was the point. In PvE most run without any kind of swiftness - they dont need it because of mounts and PvE combat. So mounts "appear" much faster than a PvE player.

In WvW, swiftness make most of it moot. Even at 66% speed you literally gain a Charrs tail length advantage over a 100m distance compared to a slowpoke "only" running 33% swiftness. Because you are both running very near or at speed cap.

This advantage would only be seen in combat, which doesnt really happen when running to reinforce.

At best if a stupid dredge turret hits you (and doesnt do enough to dismount) you'll pass it much faster, or similar situation.

Could this mean that WvWers can skip swiftness and 25% etc in favor of more dps or bunker? Yes it could. But then again when you do get into combat someone with this will run in circles around you. Becoming stronger or weaker is a matter of perspective.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@"Straegen.2938" said:I agree people should stop overreacting since we don't know how this will impact WvW. However there are reasons to be initially concerned. Base mount speed is about 50% faster than a player with speed in PvE. This means the response time for a defensive force may be substantially better which can make taking SMC or the like much more difficult from a superior force. Basically a heavily populated server may have an even bigger advantage with mounts.

Except 50% is not faster ooc, that was the point. In PvE most run without any kind of swiftness - they dont need it because of mounts and PvE combat. So mounts "appear" much faster than a PvE player.

In WvW, swiftness make most of it moot. Even at 66% speed you literally gain a Charrs tail length advantage over a 100m distance compared to a slowpoke "only" running 33% swiftness. Because you are both running very near or at speed cap.

This advantage would only be seen in combat, which doesnt really happen when running to reinforce.

At best if a stupid dredge turret hits you (and doesnt do enough to dismount) you'll pass it much faster, or similar situation.

Could this mean that WvWers can skip swiftness and 25% etc in favor of more dps or bunker? Yes it could. But then again when you do get into combat someone with this will run in circles around you. Becoming stronger or weaker is a matter of perspective.

The problem i still see here is: its more valueble to low mobility classes (necromancer) and a real downside for the high mobility classes

If You want to know the speed difference of Swiftness and mounts Just go to silverwastes. On a chesttrain i barely keep up with my guard (perma Swiftness, sword, gs and ji).

@L A T I O N.8923 said:

The problem i still see here is: its more valueble to low mobility classes (necromancer) and a real downside for the high mobility classes

If You want to know the speed difference of Swiftness and mounts Just go to silverwastes. On a chesttrain i barely keep up with my guard (perma Swiftness, sword, gs and ji).In silverwaste people take shortcuts with griffons all the time, plus mounts with much greater speed than just plain 50% (raptor leap, dog tp etc). Its not quite comparable to everyone having the same mount without these skills. I cant imagine the warclaw having anywhere near their mobility.

In terms of the problem I agree on the first part - slow classes will gain alot in terms of ooc speed. But for the second part I dont think high mobility classes will be affected at all. Unless that "evade" the articles talk about is a 1200 leap on 5s cd or something, a thief with bow and swiftness will most likely be much faster than someone just running after on a pet.

My hopes are for the knockdown as mentioned, that pretty much balances out everything and "force" people to dismount prior to fights.

But somehow I think its more likely mounts will be as broken as gliding in the netcode and show players riding an invisible mount 10m in the air or something.

@Mackowidz.4629 said:The existing stuff is available to all players though, while mounts will be for PoF owners only, and the game is already unfair enough to people without an expansion

You should stop thinking of gw2 as f2p and instead think of it as b2p with a f2p demo.... This has been the case since launch tho.

@L A T I O N.8923 said:

@Straegen.2938 said:I agree people should stop overreacting since we don't know how this will impact WvW. However there are reasons to be initially concerned. Base mount speed is about 50% faster than a player with speed in PvE. This means the response time for a defensive force may be substantially better which can make taking SMC or the like much more difficult from a superior force. Basically a heavily populated server may have an even bigger advantage with mounts.

If You want to know the speed difference of Swiftness and mounts Just go to silverwastes. On a chesttrain i barely keep up with my guard (perma Swiftness, sword, gs and ji).

You mean that necromancers will actually be able to get places out of combat, how awful everyone knows that's something only ranger/thief/mesmer should be able to do.

Also this prolly won't have any mobility skills like PvE mounts (or at least much worse ones).

@MUDse.7623 said:

@Dawdler.8521 said:People should especially stop overreacting until we know the
speed
of the thing and whether certain passives are still active while mounted or boons can be applied.I agree people should stop overreacting since we don't know how this will impact WvW. However there are reasons to be initially concerned. Base mount speed is about 50% faster than a player with speed in PvE. This means the response time for a defensive force may be substantially better which can make taking SMC or the like much more difficult from a superior force. Basically a heavily populated server may have an even bigger advantage with mounts.

increased speed can be abused by everyone not just the superior defensive force and usually the larger the group, the less efficient they use their movement tools.

for example it also can make smaller groups a much greater annoyance. if your a half decent roamer / havoc group etc. and you start sieging something, then the scouts usually got to call in reinforcements as they wont be killing you and without killing their opponent they wont get rid of em (as roamers tend to place offensive siege better than mindless blobs, at least in EU). so then they call in a much larger force to one object and by the time they are done clearing your siege, your already attacking somewhere else :3. the mounts may reduce the traveltime but they wont reduce the communication time the larger group needs to notice and react to you.

i think in the long run it will mainly be: less traveltime, more action. wich i do think is good for the mode.

Oh wow this really is strange, I get to agree with something you say.

Running is the most boring part of WvW I am positive to anything that reduces the time I spend doing it.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@Straegen.2938 said:I agree people should stop overreacting since we don't know how this will impact WvW. However there are reasons to be initially concerned. Base mount speed is about 50% faster than a player with speed in PvE. This means the response time for a defensive force may be substantially better which can make taking SMC or the like much more difficult from a superior force. Basically a heavily populated server may have an even bigger advantage with mounts.

If You want to know the speed difference of Swiftness and mounts Just go to silverwastes. On a chesttrain i barely keep up with my guard (perma Swiftness, sword, gs and ji).In silverwaste people take shortcuts with griffons all the time, plus mounts with much greater speed than just plain 50% (raptor leap, dog tp etc). Its not quite comparable to everyone having the same mount without these skills. I cant imagine the warclaw having anywhere near their mobility.

In terms of the problem I agree on the first part - slow classes will gain alot in terms of ooc speed. But for the second part I dont think high mobility classes will be affected at all. Unless that "evade" the articles talk about is a 1200 leap on 5s cd or something, a thief with bow and swiftness will most likely be much faster than someone just running after on a pet.

My hopes are for the knockdown as mentioned, that pretty much balances out everything and "force" people to dismount prior to fights.

But somehow I think its more likely mounts will be as broken as gliding in the netcode and show players riding an invisible mount 10m in the air or something.

I think mounts will be far less broken, they're just a speed boost on the ground, the game wasn't initially made with gliding in mind and also dune rollers work fine which is fairly similar

@Dawdler.8521 said:

If You want to know the speed difference of Swiftness and mounts Just go to silverwastes. On a chesttrain i barely keep up with my guard (perma Swiftness, sword, gs and ji).In silverwaste people take shortcuts with griffons all the time, plus mounts with much greater speed than just plain 50% (raptor leap, dog tp etc). Its not quite comparable to everyone having the same mount without these skills. I cant imagine the warclaw having anywhere near their mobility.I havnt been (tagged) in silverwastes for maybe the passed year, i was merely refering to the raptor speed.

I do think that evade Will dismount and counted as 'dismount' skill more like. Like States 'to break through enemy lines' you stand in the middle of them in the end. And the last is a speculation with one of the highest term of mobility( perma Swiftness needs to be traited for thief, or from food) secondly the shortbow still requires 2h weaponslot and professionals energy. In terms of mobility increase for a scourge this is HUGE

My hopes are for the knockdown as mentioned, that pretty much balances out everything and "force" people to dismount prior to fights.What you mean with this? Like, knockdown knocks you off mount?

You mean that necromancers will actually be able to get places out of combat, how awful everyone knows that's something only ranger/thief/mesmer should be able to do.

Also this prolly won't have any mobility skills like PvE mounts (or at least much worse ones).

First of all they announced a skill to break through the enemy lines'. This might fix the pirateshipmeta, but i see alot of problems with a 1200range leap (inner garri to lords on ne Outer wall, inner air to lords air on pillars South inner), especially if IT doesn't get you dismount.

And yeah i see a problem with(for example) necro's to get more mobility. They designed to be steady classes. The only problem i can see for them is getting ganked. I admit that's annoying, ive Done Both and never seen zergs having problems running over gankers when they have the chance

The mounts 'gives on top;'more fights' and 'more options to run away'

I think mounts will be far less broken, they're just a speed boost on the ground, the game wasn't initially made with gliding in mind and also dune rollers work fine which is fairly similar

IT can be balanced out and o have trust it needs timeThere's a million ways to fuck up so i remain neutral but sceptic

@"L A T I O N.8923" said:What you mean with this? Like, knockdown knocks you off mount?I meant that a forced dismount (either by damage from enemies or any kind of cc like knockback, stun, daze, fear etc) would knockdown the player for a couple of secs, encouraging them to actually dismount themselves prior to combat.

And as I said the mobility gain is "huge" only out of combat. In combat I can assure you that someone with 66% swiftness runes will still run in circles around a scourge that forgot speed.

The thing is this...

Do we not want more fights? Because thats going to be the factual result of slow people getting to places faster.

Thats why I find all the threads on the forum now... Strange. All it shows is Anet definetly shouldnt listen to any of us because we clearly have no kitten idea what we want.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@"L A T I O N.8923" said:What you mean with this? Like, knockdown knocks you off mount?I meant that a forced dismount (either by damage from enemies or any kind of cc like knockback, stun, daze, fear etc) would knockdown the player for a couple of secs, encouraging them to actually dismount themselves prior to combat.

And as I said the mobility gain is "huge" only out of combat. In combat I can assure you that someone with 66% swiftness runes will still run in circles around a scourge that forgot speed.I know that this is true, but other people Will be capable of mounting and run towards you. I state the general map mobility, untill IT reaches combatbase.

The thing is this...

Do we not want more fights
? Because thats going to be the factual result of slow people getting to places faster.

Thats why I find all the threads on the forum now... Strange. All it shows is Anet
definetly
shouldnt listen to any of us because we clearly have no kitten idea what we want.

Ill be waitingGlad the announcedAnnoyed by the options we got, too many problems and insecuritiesI dont know how IT would be announced better

I dont like change too much

@L A T I O N.8923 said:

If You want to know the speed difference of Swiftness and mounts Just go to silverwastes. On a chesttrain i barely keep up with my guard (perma Swiftness, sword, gs and ji).In silverwaste people take shortcuts with griffons all the time, plus mounts with much greater speed than just plain 50% (raptor leap, dog tp etc). Its not quite comparable to everyone having the same mount without these skills. I cant imagine the warclaw having anywhere near their mobility.I havnt been (tagged) in silverwastes for maybe the passed year, i was merely refering to the raptor speed.

I do think that evade Will dismount and counted as 'dismount' skill more like. Like States 'to break through enemy lines' you stand in the middle of them in the end. And the last is a speculation with one of the highest term of mobility( perma Swiftness needs to be traited for thief, or from food) secondly the shortbow still requires 2h weaponslot and professionals energy. In terms of mobility increase for a scourge this is HUGE

Evade will prolly be the skill that uses the dodge key, ie the equivalent to raptor leap etc, but prolly on a longer cd and short duration.

Thief needs to pick up one of their best traitlines and either rifle or shortbow, on a class that otherwise can't really fully use weapon swap... Oh the sacrifices

Yes it will be a big boost for scourge outside of zergs (where you already have permanent swiftness). How is that a negative thing?

My hopes are for the knockdown as mentioned, that pretty much balances out everything and "force" people to dismount prior to fights.What you mean with this? Like, knockdown knocks you off mount?

They mean if your mount dies you get stunned

Hopefully the mount is fairly squishy and the 1 skill does low damage

@lodjur.1284 said:

Evade will prolly be the skill that uses the dodge key, ie the equivalent to raptor leap etc, but prolly on a longer cd and short duration.As long as you 'hoover' over the ground and not able to jump over gaps. With a 1200 leap that can jump over gaps i think of 3-4 Towers and 2 keeps to get in easily

Then i havnt thought of places i might get in depending on the dropping angle (like wildcreek from smc)

Thief needs to pick up one of their best traitlines and either rifle or shortbow, on a class that otherwise can't really fully use weapon swap... Oh the sacrifices

Yes it will be a big boost for scourge outside of zergs (where you already have permanent swiftness). How is that a negative thing?

They mean if your mount dies you get stunned

Hopefully the mount is fairly squishy and the 1 skill does low damageI dont like the fact there's another offensive cc in game capable of build in an range aoe class. Lets hope 2 dismount skills wont kill An avg geared tanky guardian

Archived