Poll to show the distribution of players who want mounts in WvW and their respective area of game.

Hitman.5829

Ultimately, whilst marginally different options, this poll already gauges the feelings. As does the other 20+ threads. I'm all for expressing opinions, but we don't need evryone to create a new poll or a new thread on the same subject. The points on both sides have been rammed home utterly and completely.

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/68916/is-your-reaction-to-the-tame-the-warclaw-teaser-trailer-positive-or-negative/p1

@"Randulf.7614" said:Ultimately, whilst marginally different options, this poll already gauges the feelings. As does the other 20+ threads. I'm all for expressing opinions, but we don't need evryone to create a new poll or a new thread on the same subject

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/68916/is-your-reaction-to-the-tame-the-warclaw-teaser-trailer-positive-or-negative/p1

This poll will show the distribution of PvE and WvW players who are for or against mounts.Nobody has done a poll like this, so this is valuable for Anet.

Are you SERIOUS mounts in WvW. Omg Anet please you have to think of other things to build up WvW and not mounts. LEAVE THE MOUNTS IN PVE. Also we have enough lag and skill lag with the blobs we have to deal with let alone MOUNTS IN WVW. WvW is going to trash and thats a shame because Anet doesnt care about wvw, they only care about pve. TRASH TRASH TRASH.

Are you SERIOUS mounts in WvW. Omg Anet please you have to think of other things to build up WvW and not mounts. LEAVE THE MOUNTS IN PVE. Also we have enough lag and skill lag with the blobs we have to deal with let alone MOUNTS IN WVW. WvW is going to trash and thats a shame because Anet doesnt care about wvw, they only care about pve. TRASH TRASH TRASH.

@Hitman.5829 said:This poll will show the distribution of PvE and WvW players who are for or against mounts.No, unfortunately it won't. It will show a poll of the subset of people who read the forums, reduced to just the people who vote.Given that major limitation, I applaud the phrasing as it's the closest to neutral I've seen in the forums in a while.

It does leave out some important corner cases: people who swap between modes, e.g. sometimes 100% wvw, sometimes 100% PvE. It also ignores the possibility that people aren't bothered one way or the other.

Nobody has done a poll like this, so this is valuable for Anet.Valuable for us? Maybe. For ANet? almost certainly not.

First, it's a done deal. There is 0% chance that ANet is going to change their mind about adding mounts to WvW on Tuesday because of the poll (the recent layoff announcement might cause a delay). Mounts are going to be in WvW and ANet is going to wait to see how they are received before considering whether to change things up. They did gives us the option to remove Desert BL entirely, so maybe they might offer a similar option for mounts later (none|just in desert|just in BL|everywhere).

Second, a lot of WvWarriors keep trying to make out that there's some huge divide between what WvWers want and want the generic GW2 community wants. According to ANet, that's not true. In all the surveys they've done, there's been no meaningful difference between the two (according to their data). It's reasonable to believe that strict WvWers would have different opinions, but the evidence shows otherwise.

That said, the theory behind asking the question in the OP is sound. It's worth asking WvWarriors what sorts of things they want/don't want while waiting for Alliances and other changes to match ups.

Only the loudest voices come to the forums. The general majority don't. So this would only be a poll on the forum populace, not the WvW populace.

My concerns with mounts are:Anet server stability is garbage and already has extreme lag due to particle effects. Outside of WvW mounts cause additional server lag. Imagine this multiplied by a 3 way in SMC on reset.Anet just announced they're firing a bunch of folks so.. well.. server stability is no longer a priority.The mount shouldn't go faster than the fastest player to get around, and should only be considered as mobile siege.There should be designated servers so PvErs don't pollute the WvW queues to just farm for the mount.Why was this a priority over Alliances and balancing?

Honestly, I really don't care either way. It's something for WvW whereas this area of the game seems to be in a back closet collecting dust.

The poll needed more options. I'm pretty much a WvW main (in terms of what gamemode do I enjoy the most, because I participate in all of them), yet I think Warclaw sounds promising and the idea of mounts being added to WvW is exciting to me, because they might shake things up a little and add a different style of gameplay than we were used to. And most importantly they will impact greatly what I'm doing most of the time when I play WvW: which is scouting, defending and roaming. It will be a lot easier for me to move between objectives as a scout, or avoid group of enemies trying to kill me while I'm running back to defend a structure.

@"Hitman.5829" said:So, the consensus is:"No, we do not want mounts in WvW and we are WvW players most of the time."

Hopefully anet rethinks what they are about to do.Which is a consensus of... what exactly?

We didnt need or want gliding in WvW. Now its an integral part of the game and no one cares.We didnt need or want guild halls with WvW claiming dependancy behind a paywall of 2000+ gold. Again that's now an integral part of the game that no one cares about.We definetly didnt need or want automatic spotting as that remove a large part of a scouts job and dumb down the game. No one cares anymore.Hell I dont even think anyone wanted or needed the skirmish system, they just wanted to "remove nightcapping" in various diffuse ways. Now it defines WvW.Etc and so on.

In fact throughout the years the only new content we wanted was a new map and look how that ended up - after it was introduced we didnt want it anymore and people still boycott it ingame, refusing to even go there.

Going by the past, even if no one want a mount, in a month no one will care.

I prefer it if Anet actually thinks about what they are about to do. It's so, so very easy to introduce a mount with hardcapped speed that doesnt affect any balance between vanilla, hot or pof in a competetive enviroment and instead just raise the slow classes up to the same level as the fast. Which isnt actually a bad thing. But granted, its also very easy for them to kitten it up and break WvW.

@sarkysek.1085 said:The poll needed more options. I'm pretty much a WvW main (in terms of what gamemode do I enjoy the most, because I participate in all of them), yet I think Warclaw sounds promising and the idea of mounts being added to WvW is exciting to me, because they might shake things up a little and add a different style of gameplay than we were used to. And most importantly they will impact greatly what I'm doing most of the time when I play WvW: which is scouting, defending and roaming. It will be a lot easier for me to move between objectives as a scout, or avoid group of enemies trying to kill me while I'm running back to defend a structure.

That's option 2.

Yes, I want mounts in WvW and I am a WvW player most of the time.

Not much else to put, pve player wants mount yes or no, wvw player wants mount yes or no. Or spvp player wants mount yes or no?If you're grey line somewhere, comments section I guess.

@"Hitman.5829" said:So, the consensus is:"No, we do not want mounts in WvW and we are WvW players most of the time."

The breakdown is:

• WvW primary: 61% against (68/111) (107/174)
  • PvE: 53% 56% against (10/19) (15/27)
  • Combined: 60% 61% against (78/130) (122/201)

That's not any different from any other poll done on the forum on the topic.(Some might find it interesting that the PvE main group is more evenly divided, but that's such a small sample, so it's probably more an indicator of how few PvE-focused people notice a poll in the WvW forum.)

It's not that many votes and not a random sample; it's the subset of forum readers (themselves a small group) that are willing to vote in (yet another) WvW poll.

In other words, it's not a "consensus" of WvW players; it's just a majority of those willing to respond.

updating numbers as of ~5 pm UTC 24 Feb; no substantive differences

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@"Hitman.5829" said:So, the consensus is:
"No, we do not want mounts in WvW and we are WvW players most of the time."

Hopefully anet rethinks what they are about to do.Which is a consensus of... what exactly?

We didnt need or want gliding in WvW. Now its an integral part of the game and no one cares.We didnt need or want guild halls with WvW claiming dependancy behind a paywall of 2000+ gold. Again that's now an integral part of the game that no one cares about.We definetly didnt need or want automatic spotting as that remove a large part of a scouts job and dumb down the game. No one cares anymore.Hell I dont even think anyone wanted or needed the skirmish system, they just wanted to "remove nightcapping" in various diffuse ways. Now it defines WvW.Etc and so on.

In fact throughout the years the only new content we wanted was a new map and look how that ended up - after it was introduced we didnt want it anymore and people still boycott it ingame, refusing to even go there.

Going by the past, even if no one want a mount, in a month no one will care.

I prefer it if Anet actually thinks about what they are about to do. It's so, so very easy to introduce a mount with hardcapped speed that doesnt affect any balance between vanilla, hot or pof in a competetive enviroment and instead just raise the slow classes up to the same level as the fast. Which isnt actually a bad thing. But granted, its also very easy for them to kitten it up and break WvW.

Why would we care anymore, some of the above is real harmful to small grps ex guild hall.

I just play for the fun with guildmates I still like WvW but …

Mounts will end up being like gliding most likely after a few months another way of escaping and voiding stuff...anyways too many mount forums now tired of this.

The poll is in the WvW forum. All it shows is WvWers parakeeting a few players who think anything that came from pve is evil. Aka peer pressure. "If I repeat what so and so said on the forums people will think I am on the in!". And even then this bad poll is showing that "nobody wants mounts in WvW" is just people believing their own propaganda which is a lie.

The people that want mounts in wvw are the same trash that refuse to waypoint due to their self entitlement prevents them from actually putting in effort into any aspect of their lives.

Only way anet could put mounts into wvw is to make each and every map 5-10x the sizes they are currently otherwise each zone will be nearly impossible to capture.

Just look at what mounts have done to pve. Its a overflow of trash players. I know we got a bucket load of people from low end games like wow but dang gw2 is far above these idiots.

Quite frankly anet servers can not handle the current bandwidth strain that's placed on them.

For me that's a full no. Main reason does not let me any flexibility: I can use a mount to go straight from a point A to a point B, but apart from this basic use, if I try for more, slaloming, back & forth, turning around and such, I get motion sickness within seconds. So, if mounts would suddenly become part of WvW, what would most probably mean a lot more than just doing straight path, that would be the end of WvW for me. Since it is my preferred activity in game, I do not want to see that coming as you can imagine.Apart from this concrete trouble for which I have no solution (I would not start to take meds to be able to play), I tend to believe that there is no point. We dismount to fight. We have no real skills while mounting. So, in the end, what would bring mounts? They would only serve to transport between two fight locations. I don't think there is a point.Also, if you think about the overload we already have with visual effects, giant backpacks and glider all types, blinding and obstructing the view... Mounts would add even more.Finally, I tend to believe, like many others, that it would draw to WvW tons of PvE players who would just pass by to go kill a daily veteran or similar actions. I am not sure that it would do good to WvW world.

@Larenc.1269 said:Only way anet could put mounts into wvw is to make each and every map 5-10x the sizes they are currently otherwise each zone will be nearly impossible to capture.

if it really will become near impossible to capture anything because people keep rushing back and throwning single bodies in the circle, anet could also try PvE capture circles (ticks when more hostile characters than friendlies are in)

I guess most PvE players (like me) don't participate in this poll because we are neither for nor against mounts in WvW. We just don't care and don't want to influence a game mode with our opinion that we aren't even playing actively.

If WvW gets a mount however you can bet the completionists among us will do anything it takes to get it. Be prepared for WvW to be overrun by PvE players on Tuesday.

Archived