Insane lag and server delays — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Insane lag and server delays

Noah.7951Noah.7951 Member ✭✭
edited February 20, 2019 in Account & Technical Support

I love this game and everything is has given me, but im seriously tired of the game always not wanting to work on Tuesday, server delay of up to 3500 ping is not even close to normal, and waiting for 6-8 hours for it to "fix itself" has become annoying, I seriously hope this is looked into as its becoming a huge annoyence.

Comments

• Been happening to me as well for the past week til today. I noticed that the lag tends to start around the same time everyday at 11.00 am UTC+8

• i'm having the same problem :angry:

• @Noah.7951 said:
    I love this game and everything is has given me, but im seriously tired of the game always not wanting to work on Tuesday, server delay of up to 3500 ping is not even close to normal, and waiting for 6-8 hours for it to "fix itself" has become annoying, I seriously hope this is looked into as its becoming a huge annoyence.

these high pings and lag started when anet decided it would be a good idea to use spyware to catch hackers. Id say get used to it cuz i dont think anet is going to change it. not like a dying company cares anyway.

Fort Aspenwood is weak

• Rysdude.3824Rysdude.3824 Member ✭✭✭✭

Count me in this as well. Spent about 7 hours today in WvW...disconnected from server roughly about 32 times (I counted). ISP is fine, router is fine.

• Ruufio.1496Ruufio.1496 Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 3, 2019

Same problem here from Ontario. Unable to play for days because of massive ping. Pinging GW2 servers in cmd hangs at amazon. I tried everything I could do on my end from flush dns/renew/etc. to reinstalling the game completely.

What the hell is going on? Never had this problem before. Ping spikes up to 3k is insane.

For me it is also ONLY GW2 that has issues. Changed DNS from 0.0.0.0 to 1.1.1.1 as well and still nothing other than everything else loading faster now.

• Brendan.1309Brendan.1309 Member ✭✭✭

Massive lag spikes for me today as well, never had this issue before.

• Chilli.2976Chilli.2976 Member ✭✭✭✭

High ping today - no other issues at all this year except today.

Does anyone know if a VPN might solve this issue? Is it the ISP throttling information to amazon? I am not too tech savvy on this stuff.

• Ruufio, I'm from ontario, too, and have been having massive lag issues with pretty much every amazon-hosted service for the past 4-5 days. Did it just fix itself for you earlier this afternoon?

@altruisticcoffee.1689 said:
    Ruufio, I'm from ontario, too, and have been having massive lag issues with pretty much every amazon-hosted service for the past 4-5 days. Did it just fix itself for you earlier this afternoon?

Just checked since you said that and tested about 5 minutes in-game and so far all seems to be fine. Averaging 69 ping right now since the afternoon, as you said.

• WvW is sadly unplayable for me with a ping avg 1.2k(kitten!!!). Anet should have planned to mitigate all of this prior to the release of the warclaw. C'mon anet get your house in order.

• Zoidy.2685Zoidy.2685 Member ✭✭

@matadornz.7409 said:
    WvW is sadly unplayable for me with a ping avg 1.2k(kitten!!!). Anet should have planned to mitigate all of this prior to the release of the warclaw. C'mon anet get your house in order.

1.2k ping? I envy you for having such a low ping as I'm getting between 4k to 8k ping or random disconnects and then cant login for several minutes after the disconnect. When its not lagging I can play WvW without any issues for hours but when the lag start the whole game is unplayable. I originally thought it was just wvw and EB as that was worst as SoS BL was more playable but still laggy. Even just running around LA I'm getting major lag spikes. Just trying to mount up takes like 30 second to a minute.....

• Warkind.6745Warkind.6745 Member ✭✭✭

Haven't been able to WvW since Monday. During fights my ping jumps up to around 5k and settles at around 600-1k average the rest of the time.

All is vain.

• I'm having the same problems since tuesday with the new update. A lot of crashes, chat message takes around 8 to 15 second to appear in channel, infinite loading screens...and it happens at any moment of the day. It becomes even annoying to try to play if you know that you'll have do log out/log in 15 times for the evenning :(

• Inoki.6048Inoki.6048 Member ✭✭✭

@islena.2157 said:
    I'm having the same problems since tuesday with the new update. A lot of crashes, chat message takes around 8 to 15 second to appear in channel, infinite loading screens...and it happens at any moment of the day. It becomes even annoying to try to play if you know that you'll have do log out/log in 15 times for the evenning :(

I'm having your issues with the delay in sending of text messages. I start to type, then I have a long delay before letters appear as I type them, and after hitting enter it takes additional seconds for the messages to appear.

• Dami.5046Dami.5046 Member ✭✭✭✭

Not had that ping but i've had 'freezes' and delays.
    Mainly in sPvP and WvW by groups.
    so hoping it's a server issue.

• shinta.8906shinta.8906 Member ✭✭✭

for me its since 3-4 weeks like this. unplayable. looks ok than sudden 1k-3k spikes for 1-2 seconds than ok again untill 10s later.

• Chilli.2976Chilli.2976 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 10, 2019

https://imgur.com/a/FBp3pfH - 49% Packet loss to the Washington Server

• Lesan.4903Lesan.4903 Member ✭✭

Please do a hard server reboot, or let someone do it. And reboot the routers while at it, lag is insane, and when coupled with being forced to go WiFi only, that gets even worse from there.

• Poormany.4507Poormany.4507 Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 12, 2019

On Euro server and this happens for me almost every Tuesday and even worse during updates. Everything else works perfectly except GW2. So bad that I cannot even load a char for 6- 12 hours whenever there is an update because it gets stuck on the loading screen and eventually error messages out. Really frustrating whenever there is a release and I have to wait over a day to play it because I cannot connect to the server.

• @Lesan.4903 said:
    Please do a hard server reboot, or let someone do it. And reboot the routers while at it, lag is insane, and when coupled with being forced to go WiFi only, that gets even worse from there.

Nice idea beter 1 or 2 days or a week,deep reboot please arena........

• phoenixxx.8230phoenixxx.8230 Member ✭✭
    edited March 28, 2019

I'm not familiar with PingPlotter but here's what I managed to get (pinging IP address while in Lion's Arch)... Can someone help decipher this? My ping have worsened substantially from its usual 250+ (SEA) in the past for the better part of 2 months now.

https://imgur.com/a/fJUduz1

• @phoenixxx.8230 said:
    I'm not familiar with PingPlotter but here's what I managed to get (pinging IP address while in Lion's Arch)... Can someone help decipher this? My ping have worsened substantially from its usual 250+ (SEA) in the past for the better part of 2 months now.

https://imgur.com/a/fJUduz1

I'm from SEA and my ping are worsened too, it's unplayable. Your pingplotter result looks like mine, someone told me that's because of ISP bad routing. Try using vpn, Battleping are free with 20min just to test. My ping are back to normal 250+ when using that vpn. Now I just need to figure out how to report to ISP.

• GuildWarsPlayer.5608GuildWarsPlayer.5608 Member ✭✭
    edited November 16, 2019

Major lag and screen spikes. The game is basically unplayable on my end.

• This is what started happening to me after the last Windows 10 update:

• Linken.6345Linken.6345 Member ✭✭✭✭

@GuildWarsPlayer.5608 said:
    This is what started happening to me after the last Windows 10 update:

Revert the update and see if that fixes it?

• Me too. East Asia. Normally around 200 now 300 baseline and spikes between 1500 to 3000. Been like this off and on for a few weeks now. Even in instances.

I wish I knew I had a signature so I could be upset about not seeing it.

• Hesione.9412Hesione.9412 Member ✭✭✭

@GuildWarsPlayer.5608 said:
    This is what started happening to me after the last Windows 10 update.

Same, the load screens are really long. Happens in wvw as well. I'm in NZ.

• @Nokturnal Lunacy.3186 said:
    these high pings and lag started when anet decided it would be a good idea to use spyware to catch hackers. Id say get used to it cuz i dont think anet is going to change it. not like a dying company cares anyway.

It started when they switched over to the Amazon servers. I suspect it's some kind of queuing priority issue. There are times I'm in WvW, and it's just standstill lag for me - I can see the zerg moving all around me, but nothing I do happens - can't even waypoint. But, if I just switch to a different WvW map, I have no lag whatsoever in zergs (that clearly argues AGAINST it being an issue w/ my connection, and I've noted the above dozens of times). I've checked my pings and they're much lower than 100ms with monster-sized buffers. Mostly tho (87.5% of the time) it seems quite playable, with the occasional pause-lock, or stutter-lag. I just suspect that the tail of the server population distribution (say 7 people out of 50 in that instance) just get screwed by some FIFO queue issue on the server processing client requests. I get it that now with all the AOE going on, server messages will get priority over clients, and perhaps the total messaging becomes more than the server can handle. Or maybe the said-same is actually happening on the routers at Amazon connecting clients to instances.

• Since the update, in Tokyo I am getting 3000-4000 ping near blobs in wvw, 1200 near zergs- until the update this was at most 350 ping. I have tried repairing client, deleting gw2 temp file, wtfast, restarting modem, checking firmware, etc. Please help.

• Dante.1508Dante.1508 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2, 2019

My ping has gone from 300 to almost 800 today? I'm Aussie no clue what is going on and i only PvE.

Win 7 here so i don't think its Win 10.

• ping always 50, but huge lag spikes and freezes all last week. in any time.
    at first only at PoF, now at Tyria too.

• The lags are back! Having the same insane lagspikes out of nowhere, sometimes they stick, sometimes they go away.

• ReActif.9251ReActif.9251 Member ✭✭✭

Same but there is another thing than lags. Many server have big BIG PL on transmission, behind the fiorst Anet server there are so many paquet lost.
    Just a quick traceroute :

• @ReActif.9251 said:
    Same but there is another thing than lags. Many server have big BIG PL on transmission, behind the fiorst Anet server there are so many paquet lost.
    Just a quick traceroute :

And if we do an IP Lookup on where the packet death happens...

Details for 52.93.134.133
    IP: 52.93.134.133
    Decimal: 878544517
    Hostname: 52.93.134.133
    ISP: Amazon.com
    Organization: Amazon.com
    Services: None detected
    Type: Corporate
    Assignment: Likely Static IP
    Blacklist:
    Continent: North America
    State/Region: Washington
    City: Seattle
    Latitude: 47.6348 (47° 38′ 5.28″ N)
    Longitude: -122.3451 (122° 20′ 42.36″ W)
    Postal Code: 98109

I wish I knew I had a signature so I could be upset about not seeing it.

• Inculpatus cedo.9234Inculpatus cedo.9234 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 5, 2019

Amazon servers don't let you ping them.

• ReActif.9251ReActif.9251 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 5, 2019

It seems that after the update of the game servers hosted by AWS (Amazon) had problems either with the functioning or the data of the game not yet well installed. Or just that a misuse of instances and how the game must create them has misused the available servers and tried a little too much to load servers to the unit before doing with others. Well we won't know anything about it but this kind of performance problem especially on AWS servers will be fixed quickly.

• If the problem is related to the AWS infrastructure will act very quickly they are really specialized for high performance servers.
    • If the problem, on the other hand, is due to bad code and misuse of how the game is distributed, then Anet will have to fix it, we'll see if it lasts or not.

On my side, as an indication because it absolutely does not reflect all the players and cases, I did not have any more problems when the game resumed this morning (4h UTC)

NB: Lost packets on some traceroute jumps are normal. I won't explain the details here but either they are switches or virtualized servers. The last jump will always be a 100% PL for example.

• Sleepwalker.1398Sleepwalker.1398 Member ✭✭✭✭

AEDT about 2 PM today, Tier 3 NA EBG started experiencing lag issues.
    It got so bad that everyone from EBG was disconnected.
    We logged back on all banners were gone, all sentry were white etc.
    So yeah if Anet wants to look at what happened, check at the time i provided.