Lets be real here the new mount will not promote WvW

InvaGir.9158

This will not promote WvW if its going to allow this mount to be used in PvEHere is why...if PvE players avoid pvp content for years why would they stick around now that we have a mount?!if they suck at pvp this new mount will not make them play better and they will still die regardless forcing them to respawn at their home checkpointAfter the first few weeks when people will get their new cat mount they will leave for good...

If that's an attempt to promote WvW i'm sorry but its a terrible oneWe should've given the Alliance update instead allowing us to join other guildies and help each other out and also open some people eyes into a new content.

There is no "instead" as the Alliance change is most likely done by a different team and is a much bigger change that likely requires massive rewrites in their system. I am sure if it took just as long to deliver Alliances as it did to code a new WvW pet, we would have seen Alliances a long time ago.

Also getting more players to experience WvW is important for its long term health. While most won't stay long term, some probably will. Exposing new players to WvW is the only way WvW can survive long term. Even players that love WvW eventually move on leaving an ever shrinking population. WvW needs incentives to help refresh its active population.

@"Straegen.2938" said:There is no "instead" as the Alliance change is most likely done by a different team and is a much bigger change that likely requires massive rewrites in their system. I am sure if it took just as long to deliver Alliances as it did to code a new WvW pet, we would have seen Alliances a long time ago.

Also getting more players to experience WvW is important for its long term health. While most won't stay long term, some probably will. Exposing new players to WvW is the only way WvW can survive long term. Even players that love WvW eventually move on leaving an ever shrinking population. WvW needs incentives to help refresh its active population.

The WvW mount should just be a monthly weekend/week event then I think everyone would be happy...get new blood maybe stick ard….

Might bring some people back, like myself. i have been away for about 3 years now. but this new WvW thing has my interest, i'll be get back into it just to check it out. If its good i'll stick around for abit, if it's not i'll move on again, but it's still making me log back in. Maybe thats what they are going for?

@"Straegen.2938" said:There is no "instead" as the Alliance change is most likely done by a different team and is a much bigger change that likely requires massive rewrites in their system. I am sure if it took just as long to deliver Alliances as it did to code a new WvW pet, we would have seen Alliances a long time ago.

I'm not against it which is why I said we should have gotten Alliance instead

When this update will come out people will join blindly without the help of their guild mates due to server limitations so they will run solo or with random groups of roamers/zerks and I believe none will help them to the personal level to get better in this mode.

In better words like in the past plenty will join, some will stay and the majority will quit after a while.

Besides that the mount will not do good like some think and lots of WvWers has made good points in this board and in the general board while people asked what is the problemIts also not so friendly for non-pof owners as well....

@InvaGir.9158 said:

I'm not against it which is why I said we should have gotten Alliance instead

Different teams, the vast majority of the work needed for the mount would be from the art and animation people, with only a little bit by the coding people (since pve mounts exists)

When this update will come out people will join blindly without the help of their guild mates due to server limitations so they will run solo or with random groups of roamers/zerks and I believe none will help them to the personal level to get better in this mode.

In better words like in the past plenty will join, some will stay and the majority will quit after a while.

That's pretty much what wvw can hope for, some staying

Besides that the mount will not do good like some think and lots of WvWers has made good points in this board and in the general board while people asked what is the problem

It won't be amazing or anything, it will be a small positive change because more time will be spent fighting and less running, anyone acting like it's a big positive or negative is just being overdramatic

Its also not so friendly for non-pof owners as well....

Gw2 is not f2p, it's a b2p game with an f2p demo, if you don't own the expansions you haven't really bought the game, this is pretty much the norm for games with expansions

There should be priorities to what is more important to the gameDoesn't matter which team is responsible for what a resource is still a resourceAnd time wasted on updates like this are not helping improve the mode

I however hope some are right I really don't roaming to die as its the only thing I can do(as I stated in other posts zerks give me serious fps drops/lag)I guess all we can do is wait

@InvaGir.9158 said:There should be priorities to what is more important to the gameDoesn't matter which team is responsible for what a resource is still a resourceAnd time wasted on updates like this are not helping improve the mode

Unless you want them to constantly fire and hire new people then they have the people they have.

If this allows WvW to bring in more money then perhaps it will become a higher prio for other teams (i doubt it but ye...)

I however hope some are right I really don't roaming to die as its the only thing I can do(as I stated in other posts zerks give me serious fps drops/lag)I guess all we can do is wait

This won't kill roaming, the only worrisome bit is the mount skill but hopefully that can't hit players

@derd.6413 said:

@InvaGir.9158 said:There should be priorities to what is more important to the gameDoesn't matter which team is responsible for what a resource is still a resourceAnd time wasted on updates like this are not helping improve the mode

ppl are acting like anet had to shelve alliance's development for 2 years to bring us a wvw mount

Nah, but from initial announcement to release based on current status and status updates it will be 2 years. So..

@InvaGir.9158 said:This will not promote WvW if its going to allow this mount to be used in PvEHere is why...if PvE players avoid pvp content for years why would they stick around now that we have a mount?!if they suck at pvp this new mount will not make them play better and they will still die regardless forcing them to respawn at their home checkpointAfter the first few weeks when people will get their new cat mount they will leave for good...

If that's an attempt to promote WvW i'm sorry but its a terrible oneWe should've given the Alliance update instead allowing us to join other guildies and help each other out and also open some people eyes into a new content.

I have seen specific situations where a guildmate decided to go into wvw because they wanted a specific reward and decided they enjoyed it enough to add it to their play rotation.

I also have seen friends and guildmates state that some portion of their reason for not getting into wvw after having tried it was the time it can take to get to the action.

Take those with a grain of salt (as I do) but adding mounts might get some players to give wvw a real shot. The question, for me, is whether adding mounts drives away more people than it draws in on a permanent basis.

@Ashen.2907 said:

@InvaGir.9158 said:This will not promote WvW if its going to allow this mount to be used in PvEHere is why...if PvE players avoid pvp content for years why would they stick around now that we have a mount?!if they suck at pvp this new mount will not make them play better and they will still die regardless forcing them to respawn at their home checkpointAfter the first few weeks when people will get their new cat mount they will leave for good...

If that's an attempt to promote WvW i'm sorry but its a terrible oneWe should've given the Alliance update instead allowing us to join other guildies and help each other out and also open some people eyes into a new content.1)I also have seen friends and guildmates state that some portion of their reason for not getting into wvw after having tried it was the time it can take to get to the action.

2)Take those with a grain of salt (as I do) but adding mounts might get some players to give wvw a real shot. The question, for me, is whether adding mounts drives away more people than it draws in on a permanent basis.

1)This is the biggest myth in WvWIf you want action look for it or make enough noise to draw the enemy to youThere is always and I'm serious ALWAYS something to do as wellAlso running from point A to point B is not that diffucultDuring my runs while I was roaming with my guild mates we would useally take camps and towers all the way to the enemy main camp right above their spawn at their own homeworldThe trip takes maybe 5 minutes at best from the botton right/left home spawn to the top of the mapYou can't be lazy in a video game just play and stop trying to give yourself excuses(I'm speaking generally not to you specific)

2)The way I see it if people are correct about the outcomes of adding this mount to WvW most will probably not quit but the activity will dropWhile players will get their mount and leave WvW will probably be dead most of the time.I will try to continue roaming and hope it would still be possible but if not I will probably avoid going into WvW againThen again like I said on my first post this will not make players stay in this modeWhy would they?! How is one update of adding a mount to WvW will change their mind about PvP?!It would also not make them play better.Every player who purchased the game had tons of chances to click the WvW icon and try it but most avoided it.

The way I see it PvE players avoid PvP because they don't like it. And I don't blame them deathamatch is not for everyone :\

The hype is coming but it will pass after the first few weeks after that we will see where it goes from there...

@InvaGir.9158 said:

If that's an attempt to promote WvW i'm sorry but its a terrible oneWe should've given the Alliance update instead allowing us to join other guildies and help each other out and also open some people eyes into a new content.1)I also have seen friends and guildmates state that some portion of their reason for not getting into wvw after having tried it was the time it can take to get to the action.

2)Take those with a grain of salt (as I do) but adding mounts might get some players to give wvw a real shot. The question, for me, is whether adding mounts drives away more people than it draws in on a permanent basis.

1)This is the biggest myth in WvWIf you want action look for it or make enough noise to draw the enemy to youThere is always and I'm serious ALWAYS something to do as wellAlso running from point A to point B is not that diffucultDuring my runs while I was roaming with my guild mates we would useally take camps and towers all the way to the enemy main camp right above their spawn at their own homeworldThe trip takes maybe 5 minutes at best from the botton right/left home spawn to the top of the mapYou can't be lazy in a video game just play and stop trying to give yourself excuses(I'm speaking generally not to you specific)

2)The way I see it if people are correct about the outcomes of adding this mount to WvW most will probably not quit but the activity will dropWhile players will get their mount and leave WvW will probably be dead most of the time.I will try to continue roaming and hope it would still be possible but if not I will probably avoid going into WvW againThen again like I said on my first post this will not make players stay in this modeWhy would they?! How is one update of adding a mount to WvW will change their mind about PvP?!It would also not make them play better.Every player who purchased the game had tons of chances to click the WvW icon and try it but most avoided it.

The way I see it PvE players avoid PvP because they don't like it. And I don't blame them deathamatch is not for everyone :\

The hype is coming but it will pass after the first few weeks after that we will see where it goes from there...

Not a myth. If the big fight is at the opposite end of the map then it could very well be over before you get there.

The pve players will hop in to get the mount and then leave, just like they did for the legendary back piece and then leave, just like they did to get pips for their new fashion set and then leave.

There's nothing else that has changed to make them want to play wvw, it's either you love it or hate it, but I've seen pve players absolutely turn and do nothing but wvw instead of pve so who knows. Then again when some new pve'er steps into wvw and gets ganked 5 mins in, to a one shotting stealth mes or thief or a fat rev hammer, don't think they would stick around after that.

@Ashen.2907 said:

Not a myth. If the big fight is at the opposite end of the map then it could very well be over before you get there.

There are always fights and WvW is not about targeting one objective at the time(excluding castle in EB)Also while the enemy is focused on one location why not take another?!You're giving yourself an excuse mate and the mounts will not fix this problem anywaysPeople will have a faster response hence will make the fight end way more sooner than you expecting

The only way to promote WvW is bringing people in and have them play for a while, and then hope some of them will stick around.

But they won't stick around if the mode is not fun for them. It's not possible to make every mode equally fun for everyone, but it should be at leas possible to manage outliers. Right now the combat pace is way too fast for competitive gameplay in both WvW and PvP.

We don't even have something like a deathcam to check what just killed you, and the combat log and death recap are not good enough.

First things fist, there's people going around doing 1000% damage over the base damage of their skills. Regardless of their combat experience, nobody should go down 1v1 with 3 autoattacks, or any number of skills used within just 3 seconds, for that matter. Even if they are freaking standing still staring vacantly into space. More tan 3 seconds? That's enough time to react. More than 1:1? It's a cooperative game too, bring a safer build or allies.But going down in under 3 seconds 1v1? That's just too fast. Players need to get at least a bit of time to react and learn from their mistakes.

@MithranArkanere.8957 said:The only way to promote WvW is bringing people in and have them play for a while, and then hope some of them will stick around.

But they won't stick around if the mode is not fun for them. It's not possible to make every mode equally fun for everyone, but it should be at leas possible to manage outliers. Right now the combat pace is way too fast for competitive gameplay in both WvW and PvP.

We don't even have something like a deathcam to check what just killed you, and the combat log and death recap are not good enough.

First things fist, there's people going around doing 1000% damage over the base damage of their skills. Regardless of their combat experience, nobody should go down 1v1 with 3 autoattacks, or any number of skills used within just 3 seconds, for that matter. Even if they are freaking standing still staring vacantly into space. More tan 3 seconds? That's enough time to react. More than 1:1? It's a cooperative game too, bring a safer build or allies.But going down in under 3 seconds 1v1? That's just too fast. Players need to get at least a bit of time to react and learn from their mistakes.

The balance is the biggest issue and I can feel for anyone about itIts awful, but it is amazing how we survived for that long.

Still I wouldn't mind a major change about that and I doubt people will disagree with meThe deathcam however I'm nor sure about that...

Of the people I know who became WvWarriors (there for the joy of battle, not as weekend warriors or reward-seeking skritt)...

• Innate interest: The biggest group were those who already had the urge for this type of gameplay; there's almost nothing ANet can do to make them stop or get more enthusiastic. New maps weren't going to matter; they just changed how this group responded.
  • Tempted by rewards, stayed for the fun: the next largest block are those who came because WvW was required for map completion, for tourney rewards, for GoB, etc. The vast majority I know came and went, but some remained and became bigger fans than the first group.
  • Peer pressure: a much smaller group started because a friend convinced them it would be great. More of the initial group remained, but overall, it's a smaller subset.

So the OP is right: tons of people are going to get their mount and never return. But the OP is also wrong: some notable subset will show up for the mount and end up staying because it's fun.(I have no opinion about whether that's enough people to make the headache worth it for the existing WvWarriors, whether it's enough new blood for the game mode generally. I'm just saying: there will be a lot of people who become newly interested.)

@Iris Ng.9845 said:I'm sure as hell excited to play WvW this weekend. Was the mount the factor? No! But the number of interests in the mount that would cause a population spike in all WvW maps. There are gonna be fights after fights after fights with many, many bags to be claimed.

Only if you can get threw the queues if they leave it 4 tiers ;P

Looking more forward to tagging up to lead new people then the mount which am a little biased is just clutter to WvW honestly but can't change what is...I believe that if some influx doesn't stay then we will see another pop decline after 2-4 months; reduction to 3 tiers then.

Anet is not an indie studio. Not everyone is capable of working with everything (art, program (on multiple layers ui, backend, db and who knows what other services they may have), marketting, sound, localisation, etc etc). They hire specialised people who excels at their individual task and separate their employees into many teams.

You can't just drag and drop people into different teams as required, many people severely underestimate how long it can take for people to become completely productive after picking up a new source code, or really any other tasks not necessarily related to programming. Likewise, you can't just hire and fire people at whim and that's not considering that they'll have the same problem as the aforementioned option.

It's not always fair to put all the blame on these 'devs'. Things like alliance updates or balance patches bottleneck as they probably have to jump through many different teams, and every teams have different priorities. Of course I could be wrong about specific examples, but I am almost certain that WvW teams don't always have full control over their development.

Maybe you could argue that some groups of people in the management positions don't have their priorities set 'to your liking' (they are abviously relatively successful considering gw2 as a whole is one of the most successful product in its market). Maybe you'd like the WvW related teams to expand permanently in size? Well that's something that we will have to talk with our wallets.

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

ppl are acting like anet had to shelve alliance's development for 2 years to bring us a wvw mount

Nah, but from initial announcement to release based on current status and status updates it will be 2 years. So..

2 years. Ur optimist man

Archived