Q: Main hand sword vs axe

Yuffi.2430

I'm looking to increase my dps for a power soulbeast, and was comparing axe and sword.Sword info says it does a 3 attack auto chain over a total 1.5 seconds, doing 1054, 1054 and 1445 damage.Axe info says it does a single attack every 0.25 seconds, doing 1171 damage.

Over 1.5 seconds time sword should do 3553 damage and axe should do 7026 damage.

So I tested these on the Aerodrome golem, auto attack only, same sigils.... and the axe auto attack does less dps. Repeatedly.

The figures suggest axe main hand should be a much higher dps.

• Any ideas why this does not seem to be so?
  • What are your experiences?

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Slash_(ranger_sword_skill)https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/RicochetThe answer is you aren't factoring after cast. The links to the wiki give numbers for how long the attacks actually take: 2.04 seconds for sword auto chain and 0.88 seconds for axe 1.

Technically, sword or dagger MH end up being better for power SB than axe. MH dagger surprised me initially since it's a bit lower auto dps but I think it has to do with faster attack rate proccing OWP which makes it a contender with sword. Dagger or sword 2-3 aren't usually an increase over auto attack. Axe uses axe 3 which is why the dmg with all 3 weapons comes close for power SB.

TLDR: Max dmg/cleave under optimal conditions, use sword. If you need quickness, help with boon uptime, or forward mobility, MH dagger is better when you toss in dagger 3. Similarly, use axe for ranged pressure and better might generation. Swapping between predator's cunning and essence of speed slightly adjusts the above choices. Honestly though, they wind up being so close that I just pick them based on fashion and utility, not damage. Your real damage comes from GS and OH axe anyways.

@Krispera.5087 said:DuckDuckBOOM.4097 already answered you, but just wanted to add my 2 cents.

I prefer to keep MH Axe, despite doing ONLY 5% less damage. It gives you a ranged weapon and it's more flexible. They day they fix Splitblade, it will be a no brainer to use MH Axe over any MH.

Yea, that's why the encounter you're using the weapon in should be factored. If you can't keep up in melee 100% of the time, axe can win out. This is also something to consider if you ever end up with people that get downed, since you can keep DPS up as you run to revive someone, whereas it's deadtime for melee weapons.

@Krispera.5087 said:DuckDuckBOOM.4097 already answered you, but just wanted to add my 2 cents.

I prefer to keep MH Axe, despite doing ONLY 5% less damage. It gives you a ranged weapon and it's more flexible. They day they fix Splitblade, it will be a no brainer to use MH Axe over any MH.

I've just made my soulbeast and tried the axe, and noticed that in combo with One Wolf Pack it wreaks absolute havoc in situations vs multiple mobs. The fact that your #1 and #2 attacks strike multiple targets means that golem dps isn't going to register how much it's actually contributing in real-world scenarios.

Fix splitblade? It seems normal to me. And there's no anomaly mentioned in wiki. Maybe I'm wrong...

@Crystal Paladin.3871 said:

Fix splitblade? It seems normal to me. And there's no anomaly mentioned in wiki. Maybe I'm wrong...

Splitblade has a higher power coeff in competitive modes. In PvE it doesnt deal as much dmg for power and is more a condi weapon.I think he ment that.

@InsaneQR.7412 said:

Splitblade has a higher power coeff in competitive modes. In PvE it doesnt deal as much dmg for power and is more a condi weapon.I think he ment that.

Now, I agree with him... If it's similar and not split between game modes and uses the higher power coeff, I'd swap out sword for MH axe and get some extra DPS out of my raid build...

@Crystal Paladin.3871 said:

Now, I agree with him... If it's similar and not split between game modes and uses the higher power coeff, I'd swap out sword for MH axe and get some extra DPS out of my raid build...

Yep, :) !

Splitblade PvE : Damage (5x): 185 (0.5)Splitblade PvP/WvW : Damage (5x): 735 (2.0)

June 20, 2017

The damage per axe hit of this skill has been increased by 200% in PvP only.

March 27, 2018

Increased damage per axe by 33% in PvP and WvW.

It's going to be 2 years in 4 months. I still don't understand why PvP/WvW damage on some skills (Splitblade is not the only one) is higher than PvE ones. If it's good for PvP/WvW, then it should be for PvE. I can understand differences in condi duration, cooldown and even lower damage in PvP/WvW, but not PvE.

Archived