Why the new mount pulls the gate with a rope when other mechanics in WvW push it to break it???

Terter.4125

Having a rope pulling the gate and not pushing it makes no sense. Even on the video we can clearly see when pulling the gate, the gate is bending the opposite way defying the laws of physics ? Having something like saurian or karka will be better, just shooting projectiles. A little explanation will be great.

@DietPepsi.4371 said:On topic. Gopaka is right, the gate gets pushed inwards when the Warbeast pulls on it. Funny oversight on the GW2 devs parts.

+100 pts for Mr Bean.

I don't think it's an oversight. Gates are only modeled to be destroyed one way. And they decided they wanted this to be a pull skill not a ramming skill, either as a design choice, or some manner of balancing/mechanics issue (hard to say pre-release). It may be immersion breaking to some, but I'm sure it was still a deliberate choice to have it that way (even if it was just a choice of convenience).

I suppose you could always head cannon that he's ripping the doors off and they break short of the hinges, and what remains just sort of swings inwards from the force of the breakage.

@JDub.1530 said:

@DietPepsi.4371 said:On topic. Gopaka is right, the gate gets pushed inwards when the Warbeast pulls on it. Funny oversight on the GW2 devs parts.

+100 pts for Mr Bean.

I don't think it's an oversight. Gates are only modeled to be destroyed one way. And they decided they wanted this to be a pull skill not a ramming skill, either as a design choice, or some manner of balancing/mechanics issue (hard to say pre-release). It may be immersion breaking to some, but I'm sure it was still a deliberate choice to have it that way (even if it was just a choice of convenience).

I suppose you could always head cannon that he's ripping the doors off and they break short of the hinges, and what remains just sort of swings inwards from the force of the breakage.

Because physics!

In all seriousness, this is actually how a gate would behave, if the doors themselves gave out and splintered before the hinges and anchor points. The parts of the door tethered to the [mount] would be pulled outward, while the hinges and any connected pieces would swing inward from the released tension. When that happens, I pity the poor asura standing next to them.

Intercom: Cleanup in the courtyard! Bring a mop!

Edit: After actually watching the trailer, I believe it's more likely an animation/coding issue. That said, the physics still work! ... If you had a nip of norn ale beforehand.

You can't see it very clearly but there are actually 12 giant springs on the inner side of any gate. I couldn't see them and you probably won't, even if you look close, but they are definitely maybe there. I heard from someone who heard that they were added at release to ensure the safety of players who were attacking the objective. The safety of the gate repairers be damned.

It actually would make sense to pull it as much as pushing it, as you're straining the hinges and would cause those to break. But given the animations, ramming the gate rollerbeetle style probably would work better.

That said, one could argue that what's happening is that by pulling one not only stresses the hinges, but the lock itself, and the reason why it flies backwards is just tension being released after the pull. For the door busting, as said above, what remains on the hinges would fly inward along said hinges, while what's connected to the mount would fly towards the mount (so be ready to duck whenever you bust down a gate). Of course, animation shows all splinters of the door going inward, per the original battering ram animations.

@"Gopaka.7839" said:Having a rope pulling the gate and not pushing it makes no sense. Even on the video we can clearly see when pulling the gate, the gate is bending the opposite way defying the laws of physics ? Having something like saurian or karka will be better, just shooting projectiles. A little explanation will be great.

It's just showing off. I'd be more impressed if it headbutt the gate bending it out.

@"Gopaka.7839" said:Having a rope pulling the gate and not pushing it makes no sense. Even on the video we can clearly see when pulling the gate, the gate is bending the opposite way defying the laws of physics ? Having something like saurian or karka will be better, just shooting projectiles. A little explanation will be great.

I was hoping that someone would come up with a worse whine than the gatekeeping WvW "veterans" salt over the mount.

Thanks for this.

@"Ardid.7203" said:I simply didn't relate the "pulling" kitty with the "behind the door" kitty. I thought they were two different examples of kitty doing stuff. I supose the preview video is not really clear or well made...

Indeed. The effect itself (of a rope?) doesn't really look interesting. They were probably better off with the mount performing a head butt instead...with it's horns too.

D:

P.S. This is after we ignore the empty feeling of the whole video considering the solo rider. I guess we can get by with the old art of EBG being starkly contrasted against the new gen art on the mount since more WvW play on abysmal settings anyway.

@Conqueror.3682 said:what will happen to flame rams?

Maybe nothing. We don't know how much gate damage this skill does, and an online article stated this was a high level skill, meaning not everyone will likely have it. And maybe it's like other siege skills, you have to train it up to be more effective. Maybe at base it's not much better than PvDoor. Time will tell.

@GDchiaScrub.3241 said:

@"Ardid.7203" said:I simply didn't relate the "pulling" kitty with the "behind the door" kitty. I thought they were two different examples of kitty doing stuff. I supose the preview video is not really clear or well made...

Indeed. The effect itself (of a rope?) doesn't really look interesting. They were probably better off with the mount performing a head butt instead...with it's horns too.

A rope may not be interesting but the animation is amazing. Seeing the cat tense its shoulders, and that yank rocks me to my core.

"defying the laws of physics"? Um, not sure you understand physics but....If you look at a normal door the frame protects it from being pushed in. There is less resistance to being pulled.

@LostInDarkness.5460 said:

"defying the laws of physics"? Um, not sure you understand physics but....If you look at a normal door the frame protects it from being pushed in. There is less resistance to being pulled.

Watch the video again on slow motion if possible.

Archived