PC Build for Ultra Settings, 60 fps

Hey so I just had this AMD build designed for me, based on wanting to play GW2 on ultra graphics..check it out and let me know what you think! Appreciate any feedback!

Processor: (CPU)AMD Ryzen 5 2600X Six Core CPU (3.6GHz-4.25GHz/19MB CACHE/AM4)Motherboard: ASUS® PRIME A320M-K: Micro-ATX, AM4, USB 3.0, 6GB/sMemory (RAM): 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2400MHz (2 x 8GB)Graphics Card: 8GB AMD RADEON™ RX 590 - HDMI, 3 x DP - DX® 121st Storage Drive: 240GB ADATA SU650 2.5" SSD, SATA 6 Gb (520MB/R, 450MB/W)2nd Storage Drive: 2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 64MB CACHEMonitor: ASUS VG248QE 24" 3D 144Hz GAMING DISPLAY

First of all I just want to point out that sometimes it is not the users hardware that is the limit, sometimes it is the game engine itself. Don't expect smooth high refresh rates with ultra graphics in all areas and situations in the game. Now on to the listed specs.

I am not very experienced with AMD systems so I might miss some things or show ignorance in areas. Hopefully someone more familiar with AMD will help you out as well.

No case is listed in the build, I suppose you already have one or excluded it? The MOBO is micro-ATX size so it will probably be of smaller size.

No powersupply was listed, I guess you already have that as well or excluded it.

It is a good CPU, I don't think Guild Wars will be able to use all those cores/threads so if GW2 is your only interest less cores at higher clockrate might be better. It will work well for other games, especially games that support more threads. The included CPU coolers for AMD are usually good enough so you probably do not need a third party one.

I am unsure how good the GPU is, benchmarks seem to put it between a gtx 1060 and a gtx 1070, which is alright I guess.The GPU has the required port for activating 144Hz on monitor (DisplayPort or dual-link DVI setup needed, you have DisplayPort).

I am unsure what RAM sticks you refer to, 2400MHZ DDR is supported by the mobo so that's fine. Different quality sticks have different cas latency, the lower the better usually, not sure which cas latency the suggested sticks have.Motherboard manufacturers usually have a list of tested ram sticks that are guranteed to work, I cannot check this since I don't know the exact ramsticks you mean. Most major manufacturers of RAM sticks are usually no problem however it's always nice to be sure before you buy. You can find the list later in my post in the link given when talking about the chipset of the motherboard.

Some A320 chipset motherboards have an older bios and thus cannot run second gen Ryzen processors without a BIOS upgrade first, which would require an older amd processor to do. The site here list the BIOS number required for said motherboard to support the CPU.

Do you use the computer for other work? The selected Monitor is of TN variety, this means it has fast response times however the colors degrade when you look at it from different angles. If all you want to do is play games it will be fine however if you will sit at the computer for day to day work as well it might be worth investing in a IPS screen with high refresh rate, this will reduce response times slightly and most likely be more expensive.

Personally I find 240GB of SSD space gets eaten up quickly if you have many games you would like on the ssd. If you got some more money to spend getting 500gb might be an option however don't let it cut down the quality of your other parts.

It will give a solid 60 FPS (given that the monitor is only 1080p) as long as your character limits and quality are set low, or if no/few players are around.

If you are an area with many players and much activity (e.g. at a world boss) I think 60 FPS is impossible, due to the game engine. For reference, I'm playing on a rig with a Core i9900K and GTX 1080 Ti, and if the character limits and quality are both set to highest, frame rates in those circumstances drop to 20-30 fps. The game engine seems to become seriously bottlenecked by a single thread. If I drop the character limits and quality to lowest (everything else still on ultra) then it's back to 60 FPS. That's at 3440x1440 resolution.

Most of the build looks fine, I play on a Ryzen 1700X myself and the game performs very well.

My Suggestions are 2:1) If possible go for higher speed memory, at minimum 2666MHZ and if you can go higher all the better, I'm running a kit of 2x8GB GSkill Ripjaws V @ 2800MHZ.2) I would skip the TN panel and go for an IPS. I'm not an artist or video editor by any means, but after going with IPS, I immediately saw the color difference compared to the TN.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Taking into account what you've all said, and what I've read on other forums, I've decided to change to an intel build, albeit more expensive..but I think it'll be solid, thought I'm not a techy! It seems that overclocked, better individual thread performance, is what the game likes!

Here's what I've come up with:Case: PCS GENESIS G1B CASE + SD CARD READERProcessor (CPU): Intel® Core™ i5 Six Core Processor i5-8600k (3.6GHz) 9MB CacheMotherboard: ASUS® TUF Z370-PLUS GAMING II: ATX, LGA1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs - RGB ReadyMemory (RAM): 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 8GB)Graphics Card: 6GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1060 - DVI, HDMI, 3 x DP - GeForce GTX VR Ready!1st Storage Drive: 250GB SEAGATE BARRACUDA 2.5" SSD, (upto 560MB/sR | 530MB/sW) (probably will add more memory)Power Supply: CORSAIR 450W VS SERIES™ VS-450 POWER SUPPLYProcessor Cooling: PCS FrostFlow 120 Series High Performance Liquid CoolerThermal Paste: COOLER MASTER MASTERGEL MAKER THERMAL COMPOUNDSound Card: ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)Monitor: ASUS VG248QE 24" 3D 144Hz GAMING DISPLAYMonitor Cables: 1 x 2 METRE GOLD PLATED V1.4 HDMI CABLEKeyboard & Mouse: CoolerMaster Devastator III Combo Keyboard and MouseGaming Mouse: PadRazer Goliathus Gravity Control Small Mouse MatSpeakers: LOGITECH Z200 2.0 SPEAKERS - 10W

@"Viera X.8570" said:Thanks for the feedback guys. Taking into account what you've all said, and what I've read on other forums, I've decided to change to an intel build, albeit more expensive..but I think it'll be solid, thought I'm not a techy! It seems that overclocked, better individual thread performance, is what the game likes!

Here's what I've come up with:Case: PCS GENESIS G1B CASE + SD CARD READERProcessor (CPU): Intel® Core™ i5 Six Core Processor i5-8600k (3.6GHz) 9MB CacheMotherboard: ASUS® TUF Z370-PLUS GAMING II: ATX, LGA1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs - RGB ReadyMemory (RAM): 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 8GB)Graphics Card: 6GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1060 - DVI, HDMI, 3 x DP - GeForce GTX VR Ready!1st Storage Drive: 250GB SEAGATE BARRACUDA 2.5" SSD, (upto 560MB/sR | 530MB/sW) (probably will add more memory)Power Supply: CORSAIR 450W VS SERIES™ VS-450 POWER SUPPLYProcessor Cooling: PCS FrostFlow 120 Series High Performance Liquid CoolerThermal Paste: COOLER MASTER MASTERGEL MAKER THERMAL COMPOUNDSound Card: ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)Monitor: ASUS VG248QE 24" 3D 144Hz GAMING DISPLAYMonitor Cables: 1 x 2 METRE GOLD PLATED V1.4 HDMI CABLEKeyboard & Mouse: CoolerMaster Devastator III Combo Keyboard and MouseGaming Mouse: PadRazer Goliathus Gravity Control Small Mouse MatSpeakers: LOGITECH Z200 2.0 SPEAKERS - 10W

Depending on your region, you can get a 9600k and the Z390 version of that motherboard for the same price, or few dollars less, than the 8600k+the Z370 board.

If you're getting 144Hz I'd look into RTX 2060 or GTX 1660 Ti.

For CPU, if all you do is GW2 I'd probably get the i5-9600k with something akin to an Asus Z390-A to give an upgrade path.

The game is definitely playable on Ryzen but you want to have 2933MHz or above RAM speed on Ryzen and a B450 motherboard at least such as B450 Tomahawk. With Intel due to the ringbus on their mainstream platform the latency isn't dependent on the memory speed as much.

@Taniniver BlindDragon.9503 said:It will give a solid 60 FPS (given that the monitor is only 1080p) as long as your character limits and quality are set low, or if no/few players are around.

If you are an area with many players and much activity (e.g. at a world boss) I think 60 FPS is impossible, due to the game engine. For reference, I'm playing on a rig with a Core i9900K and GTX 1080 Ti, and if the character limits and quality are both set to highest, frame rates in those circumstances drop to 20-30 fps. The game engine seems to become seriously bottlenecked by a single thread. If I drop the character limits and quality to lowest (everything else still on ultra) then it's back to 60 FPS. That's at 3440x1440 resolution.

you dont even need a lot of players, just go to the world boss Frozen Maw, as soon as the tornadoes come up your FPS goes down the drain straight away

Archived