Mastery points.

Magnedeus.4713

I just recently hit lvl 80 on my Mesmer and I'm trying to get hero points to become a Chronomancer. I just started hot's story and unlocked gliding. I am trying to unlock the bouncing mushroom mastery to get to certain areas but when i got the itzel lore exp to max my exp bar stoppped saying that i need a mastery point to unlock it. I did see some areas on the map that said "gain a mastery point" but they are greyed out and inaccessible. This mastery point system is very confusing and frustrating. I'm probably doing something wrong, but at this point I'm stuck ):

Those grey mastery point icons are similar to the vista triangles in that they show you a place to get to to earn the point. Usually they are places of power that you commune with or strongboxes to loot, sometimes they are puzzles to solve or other mini-games to do to earn the point. One easy one is to glide under three arches in Tarir, you can see videos of exactly what to do for that one on youtube.

@"Magnedeus.4713" said:I just recently hit lvl 80 on my Mesmer and I'm trying to get hero points to become a Chronomancer. I just started hot's story and unlocked gliding. I am trying to unlock the bouncing mushroom mastery to get to certain areas but when i got the itzel lore exp to max my exp bar stoppped saying that i need a mastery point to unlock it. I did see some areas on the map that said "gain a mastery point" but they are greyed out and inaccessible. This mastery point system is very confusing and frustrating. I'm probably doing something wrong, but at this point I'm stuck ):

Mastery and Hero points are two different systems.

Here is the wiki on mastery points: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mastery

Essentially they are you way of "leveling" your account beyond level 80. Masteries are account wide and any of your characters that hit level 80 will be able to contribute to them. There is lists and guides on easy to get mastery points (here is a reddit link which has all the appropriate HoT zone links to the dulfy guides: https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/8tq63o/mastery_points/).

Masteries work by selecting a mastery track, gaining enough experience to complete the mastery track, then spending the required amount of mastery points to complete the track step, which will lead to getting the track step reward (like usage of certain mushrooms) and unlocking the next track step in that one mastery line.

Here is the wiki on Hero Points: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Hero_point

Hero points are per character and contribute to you being able to master and thus gain access to a characters full set of skills and traits.

Also, lots of mastery points are earned by completing achievements, like the gliding one I mentioned above. Check the Heart of Thorns section of your achievement panel and you can see them broken down by area - Auric Basin, Verdant Brink, etc. Doing the Tarir Octovines gives you one for each wall (N,S,W,E) and so on.

@coopoor.2631 said:jeez i lvl 80 i mine still locked what ever i do i can t seem to unlock them

I think you are saying you are level 80 and can't start training masteries? You need to do the starter instance of the expansion. Eg in HoT you need to do the introductory bit in the Silverwastes and progress into Verdant Brink. When you finish the very first bit in VB, you are awarded one Mastery Point and it puts you on gliding training. You could swap out to another track but that would be ... foolish.

So open your Masteries panel, either by clicking on the bottom option of the tabs on the left of your Hero Panel or by clicking the little icon at the far right of your xp bar. Click on HoT Masteries > Gliding and make sure you are actively training it (I think it has a checkmark or something, there is a visual indicator of which track you are on). Then earn xp in the HoT maps. When the xp bar is full, go back to that panel and click to the right of the Gliding Basics training bar to spend your 1 mastery point. It will check you really want to, then consume the point and you'll have gliding and can then rinse and repeat with another track, either start a new mastery or work on tier two of Gliding. The right hand side will tell you how many points you will need to spend to acquire the mastery once your xp bar is full again, and part of gaining the xp can be exploring, doing events, and getting achieves for more mastery points to stockpile until you want to spend them.

You will also have core Tyria masteries you can work on while in the vanilla maps. You can be training both HoT and core at the same time, just whichever map you're in will determine which mastery gets the acquired xp.

I imagine it's similar in PoF but I got started in HoT so I didn't need to figure out what's involved in unlocking masteries via PoF.

Open your achievements window and look for the HoT mastery iconImgurCheck your the description for what you need to do to complete them.They can be roughly divided into 4 categories.1) completing story segments2) completing achievements into those segments3) Opening the various strongboxes scattered around the world4) Communing with the mastery point insights scattered around the world. These are exactly the same as the community hero points except they are per account and have a different icon(the same green mastery icon as before).

Archived