Auto-Unsummon minions if AFK please

RubberDougie.2750

@RubberDougie.2750 said:Minions need to be auto-unsummoned if AFK for 1 minute or so. Every time I go to Mount Maelstrom, I see necromancers AFK farming in a specific area. This has occured for years.

Remember when you nerfed Engineer turrets because of AFK farming?

That's not why they nerfed engineer turrets (and they remain longer than a minute in any case).You also seem to be forgetting that ANet allows (and nearly encourages) inattentive farming, which looks a lot like AFK farmer to the casual observer.

So I can't agree that minions need to be auto-unsummoned under any circumstances. I think instead you might want to consider accepting that ANet doesn't agree with you about what should and shouldn't be allowed.

You'll need to define "AFK" and how you determine if a person is "afk" or not before that. There is already a mechanism that automatically log out players if they do nothing for a certain amount of time, this is already the limits of what ANet can do.

That said, I'm pretty sure most of the necromancer players would welcome an intelligent rework of their minions even if it mean that they no longer are ever lasting. The issue is that that would mean a lot of work for something which is currently working as intended and ANet probably have a lot more things to fix before even thinking of modifying minions.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@RubberDougie.2750 said:Minions need to be auto-unsummoned if AFK for 1 minute or so. Every time I go to Mount Maelstrom, I see necromancers AFK farming in a specific area. This has occured for years.

That's not why they nerfed engineer turrets (and they remain longer than a minute in any case).You also seem to be forgetting that ANet allows (and nearly encourages)
inattentive
farming, which looks a lot like AFK farmer to the casual observer.

So I can't agree that minions need to be auto-unsummoned under any circumstances. I think instead you might want to consider accepting that ANet doesn't agree with you about what should and shouldn't be allowed.

The big turret gutting occurred right after Lake Doric, no?

Why can't you agree? It is a simple fix to a problem and it inconveniences a very small minority. People have been temp-banned for doing this with Engi turrets.

@"Dadnir.5038" said:You'll need to define "AFK" and how you determine if a person is "afk" or not before that. There is already a mechanism that automatically log out players if they do nothing for a certain amount of time, this is already the limits of what ANet can do.

That said, I'm pretty sure most of the necromancer players would welcome an intelligent rework of their minions even if it mean that they no longer are ever lasting. The issue is that that would mean a lot of work for something which is currently working as intended and ANet probably have a lot more things to fix before even thinking of modifying minions.

Someone not inputting anything and getting rewards for kills for more than a minute (emergencies happen). Just despawning pets in a minute with no input would solve this.

@RubberDougie.2750 said:

@"Dadnir.5038" said:You'll need to define "AFK" and how you determine if a person is "afk" or not before that. There is already a mechanism that automatically log out players if they do nothing for a certain amount of time, this is already the limits of what ANet can do.

Someone not inputting anything and getting rewards for kills for more than a minute (emergencies happen). Just despawning pets in a minute with no input would solve this.

That's where you're wrong, the player will just have to put any of it's utility skill on auto use and despite the output he will still be "afk" and you'd still be there asking for a "solution" to this kind of attitude (this is something that have already be seen in WvW since the first year of this game. Player staying afk on map to avoid losing there spot before the prime time). Maybe after that you'll ask for minion despawning if the player don't move or whatever... In the end it will be a lot of work for next to no result or maybe players that legitimately play without being afk complaining that their minions despawn while they are checking the Trading Post.

That's why, the official solution to afk farm is to report the player and let ANet do it's job in checking whether or not the player is really afk farming.

There was also a bitterfrost frontier change specifically because necros were abusing afk farming at the Berry node locations.

So it may be more accurate to state ANet is not entirely happy with afk farming, but it's more of a grey area since they haven't come out to explicitly state so. Probably because it would mean additional workload for all involved to monitor and ban players.

A technical solution would be preferable. For instance, if all the player does is activate the "auto cast" skill, then it should be counted as afk (after some reasonable period of time... 5 minutes?), and shouldn't be credited with any nearby kills.

Perhaps they just can't do something like that with how the game is currently designed.

@"RubberDougie.2750" said:

The big turret gutting occurred right after Lake Doric, no?The most important turret change occurred ages ago, partly due to overfarming in Bloodtide Coast, which affected people trying to complete event chains. The Lake Doric changes partly came about because non-engineers couldn't participate. Part of that solution was to change the hazards.

Why can't you agree? It is a simple fix to a problem and it inconveniences a very small minority. People have been temp-banned for doing this with Engi turrets.

I don't agree that there's a problem that needs to be fixed. It also inconveniences everyone who plays a minionmancer and doesn't participate in these sorts of farms. And no, no one has been suspended for what you've described. The rules allow inattentive farming; they don't allow AFK farming. Accordingly, it has nothing to do specifically with turrets or minions; it has to do with people walking away from the computer.

Disliking ANet's policy is not a "problem;" it's a preference.

This is not a problem that requires Anet to add or change code for. It's already addressed by reporting AFK farming players ... if indeed Anet determines that is what is happening.

Archived