Will WvW be hit by layoffs?

tom.4051

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@hunkamania.7561 said:

@"Edward H Angle.1407" said:I read on one of the MMO discords that the WvW team is going to be a "skeleton" crew for routine maintenance only, such as relinks and server upkeep. Alliances on hold indefinitely.

Isn't that business as usual for wvw?

Supposedly the word is that today felt like end of days at ANet for some. Word is management was thinking about leasing the excess office space from the layoffs to help offset overhead.

@"Grim West.3194" said:Of course WvW will be effected and not in a good way.

If nothing else it will slow down the release of Alliances considerably, maybe even cancel them.

Anyone still mad about the mounts might want to check themselves.

Considering they are still looking for key server side programmers this suspicion might have merit (it is safe to presume they'd have a heavy hand in Alliances).

D:

As the ole saying goes,"Follow the money". A lot of gaming companies are restructuring in order to prioritize what makes them the most money. And right now, regardless of how much "real" gamers complain, it is microtransactions. So unless WvW can increase that part of the business, I would not expect too much from it. GW2 as a game will be around but it will be more focused on what makes money. While some devs might still have passion for the game, the corporate interests will make sure it is directed where they want it.

tl:dr WvW does not make money. So enjoy.

@"Jarvia.4327" said:As the ole saying goes,"Follow the money". A lot of gaming companies are restructuring in order to prioritize what makes them the most money. And right now, regardless of how much "real" gamers complain, it is microtransactions. So unless WvW can increase that part of the business, I would not expect too much from it. GW2 as a game will be around but it will be more focused on what makes money. While some devs might still have passion for the game, the corporate interests will make sure it is directed where they want it.

1. Wvw is just about to start making money.
  2. Some ppl are kept in this game by wvw and pvp, and these ppl make money for company. So leaving it will always means the less income

@Safandula.8723 said:

@"Jarvia.4327" said:As the ole saying goes,"Follow the money". A lot of gaming companies are restructuring in order to prioritize what makes them the most money. And right now, regardless of how much "real" gamers complain, it is microtransactions. So unless WvW can increase that part of the business, I would not expect too much from it. GW2 as a game will be around but it will be more focused on what makes money. While some devs might still have passion for the game, the corporate interests will make sure it is directed where they want it.

2. Some ppl are kept in this game by wvw and pvp, and these ppl make money for company. So leaving it will always means the less income

This myth needs to stop. The regular discussion forum has 5x the posts. 5x the activity.

A business knows it can't please 100% of the people, can't get 100% market share. So they prioritize their efforts to the largest share they can get. And that's PvE.

They are already doing that.

@Kylden Ar.3724 said:

This myth needs to stop. The regular discussion forum has 5x the posts. 5x the activity.

A business knows it can't please 100% of the people, can't get 100% market share. So they prioritize their efforts to the largest share they can get. And that's PvE.

They are
already
doing that.

Actually they are making money on fashion wars, and every game mode takes part in it

True. But.We know there will be layoffs. We don't know if new ppl will come to these places. If anet has 400 employers, and new content is coming so slow, than it's more about management of resources, than the actual employers amount, so it might happen, that regardless of layoffs, not to much will change.Right now we can only wait and see, but game is not gonna die.

Im going to repeat myself from a reddit post because I can’t be asked typing it again. To say that wvw doesn’t make money is asinine.

I played gw2 for a year and a half. In that year and a half I spent near 1000$ on gems or account upgrades. That is flat, the most I’ve ever spent on a game. 95% of my time was spent in WvW. I left with a rank of nearly 3k. I have since quit the game due to balance issues and frustration of Anet not listening to feedback on class balance. That is money lost because they wouldn’t listen to the WvW Community. There are plenty of people that I used to play with that spent money on gem store. Some dwarfing what I spent in my time, in a few months. So to suggest that a simple mount will generate money is asinine. Them losing players that were consistent gem store purchasers due to them ignoring our concerns is going to far outweigh anything they would make on mount skins.

To be perfectly honest, them adding this mount before addressing the multitude of concerns that have been around for YEARS, is a slap in the face of the WvW community and shows how out of touch with the WvW community they really are.

Archived