Getting good?

LaxForce.1769

I really like Thief as a class, but I feel like I'm falling behind in all aspects; be it in PvP or WvW. I'm playing daredevil, and I keep getting slapped around lmao. I'm running this build in PvP:https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Daredevil_-_Dagger/PistolAnd IDK if Thief is just in a bad place right now, or if I totally suck (Probably the later lol) but I get shut down rather easily, I lose most of my 1v1s, and if I'm outnumbered I get totally dunked. Except for decapping and picking off some kills here and there I don't think I'm doing much for my team, and it's sort of frustrating.

IDK, maybe Thief is just not for me. I really love classes that dish out LOTS of damage, and the thief class just seemed like it's capable of doing that. So I went for it.Other than thief I've a warrior and a guardian, both are level 80.I recently returned to GW2, I bought the game on release and played for a good while, but I quit just when HoT was introduced, and came back just now. (Got both expansions) I'd really appreciate some tips, or perhaps better builds (?)... gotta get good :(

Thief is struggling a bit atm. D/P, the build you're currently playing, is really bad in the meta due to how nerfed it's become and how much defenses have been bolstered on other classes. S/D core thief is pretty decent, but still can struggle at times if you don't play your fights right. As a thief, 1v1's aren't a measure of how much you are contributing since as a thief you aren't meant for 1v1ing and such. Your main role is going to be +1ing fights that are currently happening and getting decaps where you can to disrupt enemy rotations. From your post, it sounds like you would enjoy playing Rev or Holo, they both can dish out lots of damage, can 1v1 when needed, and have good roaming abilities so you can feel your influence over the game. In terms of dishing out damage, rev does a good job at that right now due to sword 4 and 5 having incredible burst. It's a tough and challenging class to play so it'll provide you with something to really focus on getting good with. Rifle static holo plays very similarly to rev in rotations and playstyle but is a bit safer at the cost of a bit of damage. Core guard would also work but it lacks mobility so you just have to be prepared to be a little slow.

S/D core thief: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vZAQNAsYVl0MhSnYvTwwJQ/EHwElOBCgdznGnRb0jiQ8JA-jpxHQBXrMQP2f4bHCAF+AAAwRAggnAAARevenant Power Shiro/Glint: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vlAQNAscmnvN2gS6JvQRVlbosryPUYW5IKYs8EllNFi9Lp5NtB4APwegFshA-jpxHABf/AA8/IAAwJA46yAKfIAEf/BAStatic Rifle Holo: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vdAQFAEWmMMxmRBIAMOCaPxn+O4I8EC-jJxHABAcBAsvMg47P4/DAAA (note: HGH can be swapped with Purity of Purpose for a survivability buff)Core Guard: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vVAQNAR8dnkIClDhVDBeDB8DhjBiKfgLYDaDgptNvXbDUBA-jpxHQBK7IAAgDCACvAAJpMw3eAA9b/BA

@Ario.8964 said:Thief is struggling a bit atm. D/P, the build you're currently playing, is really bad in the meta due to how nerfed it's become and how much defenses have been bolstered on other classes. S/D core thief is pretty decent, but still can struggle at times if you don't play your fights right. As a thief, 1v1's aren't a measure of how much you are contributing since as a thief you aren't meant for 1v1ing and such. Your main role is going to be +1ing fights that are currently happening and getting decaps where you can to disrupt enemy rotations. From your post, it sounds like you would enjoy playing Rev or Holo, they both can dish out lots of damage, can 1v1 when needed, and have good roaming abilities so you can feel your influence over the game. In terms of dishing out damage, rev does a good job at that right now due to sword 4 and 5 having incredible burst. It's a tough and challenging class to play so it'll provide you with something to really focus on getting good with. Rifle static holo plays very similarly to rev in rotations and playstyle but is a bit safer at the cost of a bit of damage. Core guard would also work but it lacks mobility so you just have to be prepared to be a little slow.

Rev definitely sounds like the way to go for me. Thanks a lot! I guess it's time to create a Rev :')

@LaxForce.1769 said:

@Ario.8964 said:Thief is struggling a bit atm. D/P, the build you're currently playing, is really bad in the meta due to how nerfed it's become and how much defenses have been bolstered on other classes. S/D core thief is pretty decent, but still can struggle at times if you don't play your fights right. As a thief, 1v1's aren't a measure of how much you are contributing since as a thief you aren't meant for 1v1ing and such. Your main role is going to be +1ing fights that are currently happening and getting decaps where you can to disrupt enemy rotations. From your post, it sounds like you would enjoy playing Rev or Holo, they both can dish out lots of damage, can 1v1 when needed, and have good roaming abilities so you can feel your influence over the game. In terms of dishing out damage, rev does a good job at that right now due to sword 4 and 5 having incredible burst. It's a tough and challenging class to play so it'll provide you with something to really focus on getting good with. Rifle static holo plays very similarly to rev in rotations and playstyle but is a bit safer at the cost of a bit of damage. Core guard would also work but it lacks mobility so you just have to be prepared to be a little slow.

Rev definitely sounds like the way to go for me. Thanks a lot! I guess it's time to create a Rev :')

It's a lot of fun, but know until you get used to positioning and utilizing rev's defenses well, you're gonna die a ton. Don't get discouraged, you'll get better and things will get easier.

@"LaxForce.1769" said:I really like Thief as a class, but I feel like I'm falling behind in all aspects; be it in PvP or WvW. I'm playing daredevil, and I keep getting slapped around lmao. I'm running this build in PvP:https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Daredevil_-_Dagger/PistolAnd IDK if Thief is just in a bad place right now, or if I totally suck (Probably the later lol) but I get shut down rather easily, I lose most of my 1v1s, and if I'm outnumbered I get totally dunked. Except for decapping and picking off some kills here and there I don't think I'm doing much for my team, and it's sort of frustrating.

IDK, maybe Thief is just not for me. I really love classes that dish out LOTS of damage, and the thief class just seemed like it's capable of doing that. So I went for it.Other than thief I've a warrior and a guardian, both are level 80.I recently returned to GW2, I bought the game on release and played for a good while, but I quit just when HoT was introduced, and came back just now. (Got both expansions) I'd really appreciate some tips, or perhaps better builds (?)... gotta get good :(

Every one will hate this comment but u shld try deadeye. Definitely does massive damage, way faster than most other classes. U can literally kill some one in seconds. It's actually okish at 1v1ing on roads n if u r careful know ur spots u can escape if needed. N u can use sword or dagger for ur other set for melee. Which also does big dmg. Personally I use s/p for pistol whip. U can basically 1 shot a necro n cleave it's body dead in the space of a few seconds.just gotta be aware not to get caught with your pants down.

@TorQ.7041 said:

@"LaxForce.1769" said:I really like Thief as a class, but I feel like I'm falling behind in all aspects; be it in PvP or WvW. I'm playing daredevil, and I keep getting slapped around lmao. I'm running this build in PvP:
And IDK if Thief is just in a bad place right now, or if I totally suck (Probably the later lol) but I get shut down rather easily, I lose most of my 1v1s, and if I'm outnumbered I get totally dunked. Except for decapping and picking off some kills here and there I don't think I'm doing much for my team, and it's sort of frustrating.

Every one will hate this comment but u shld try deadeye. Definitely does massive damage, way faster than most other classes. U can literally kill some one in seconds. It's actually okish at 1v1ing on roads n if u r careful know ur spots u can escape if needed. N u can use sword or dagger for ur other set for melee. Which also does big dmg. Personally I use s/p for pistol whip. U can basically 1 shot a necro n cleave it's body dead in the space of a few seconds.just gotta be aware not to get caught with your pants down.

for WvW i would have also adivsed DE, because you have time(+space) for a good setup and for kiting if there is too much projectile hate being spammed. but i am not sure how good it is against decent opponents in sPvP, where time matters alot more. (tho ranked no longer being a team queue it might actually work there).

@TorQ.7041 said:

@"LaxForce.1769" said:I really like Thief as a class, but I feel like I'm falling behind in all aspects; be it in PvP or WvW. I'm playing daredevil, and I keep getting slapped around lmao. I'm running this build in PvP:
And IDK if Thief is just in a bad place right now, or if I totally suck (Probably the later lol) but I get shut down rather easily, I lose most of my 1v1s, and if I'm outnumbered I get totally dunked. Except for decapping and picking off some kills here and there I don't think I'm doing much for my team, and it's sort of frustrating.

OP quotation:
And IDK if Thief is just in a bad place right now, or if I totally suck (Probably the later lol) but I get shut down rather easily, [...] I don't think I'm doing much for my team, and it's sort of frustrating.

Like every thief build: DE has no fight presence. DE might "shine" (to say the least... it's simply overpowered) in 1v1 roaming scenarios and in team fights against bad players which are confused by its mechanic but as soon as there are 2 players present that played the spec by themself waiting for him to leave stealth to conterburst him within one second he is fucked or at least nullified.

When I am in an XvX where a deadeye is present in the opposing team I save my strongest burst for the moment he shows up. Two players doing this and he is basically shut down. That's what the OP is experiencing and it won't change unless he changes the class.

Staff acro thief can survive pretty well against mediocre teams as well until an opponent shows up, that knows that the thief is vulnerable at the end of the vault animation and stuns him propberly (one warrior shieldbash or necro terrify at the end of a vault and it's GG or at least shadowstep time)

Revenant can be overwhelmed by condi spam as long as he doesn't go for hammer and nuke from distance, which is uncommon but doable and still better for the team than any thief build.

Thief is quite the opposite of necro. Necro has insane team fight impact but poor mobility. Thief has insane mobility but poor team fight impact.

@KrHome.1920 said:

OP quotation:
And IDK if Thief is just in a bad place right now, or if I totally suck (Probably the later lol) but I get shut down rather easily, [...] I don't think I'm doing much for my team, and it's sort of frustrating.

Like every thief build: DE has no fight presence. DE might "shine" (to say the least... it's simply overpowered) in 1v1 roaming scenarios and in team fights against bad players which are confused by its mechanic but as soon as there are 2 players present that played the spec by themself waiting for him to leave stealth to conterburst him within one second he is kitten or at least nullified.

When I am in an XvX where a deadeye is present in the opposing team I save my strongest burst for the moment he shows up. Two players doing this and he is basically shut down. That's what the OP is experiencing and it won't change unless he changes the class.

Staff acro thief can survive pretty well against mediocre teams as well until an opponent shows up, that knows that the thief is vulnerable at the end of the vault animation and stuns him propberly (one warrior shieldbash or necro terrify at the end of a vault and it's GG or at least shadowstep time)

Revenant can be overwhelmed by condi spam as long as he doesn't go for hammer and nuke from distance, which is uncommon but doable and still better for the team than any thief build.

Thief is quite the opposite of necro. Necro has insane team fight impact but poor mobility. Thief has insane mobility but poor team fight impact.

If you watch dduff he has no problems being at legendary level as DE. N he doesn't just get shut down because he knows where to go n is aware of the pressence of other players and so he doesn't get bursted unexpectedly often.

Basically non of what you said actually happens to him that often lol. Since he is basically winning against legendary players.

There are enough tools to deal with the majority of situations.

So really it's more of a L2P problem.

And your comment on being focused from 2 players.If 2 players are saving their skills just for one guy. It means they are contributing nothing for their team. Since the DE's team will take the node and do dps and at some point you will be forced to use your skills. So in that scenario it's ok for the DE to just wait. Once you use ur cool downs. Then the DE shld burst you.

Archived