Tying commander shout to a voice system

Rico.6873

Squad commanders have a shout system to alert the squad to important things. But for actions that require precise timing it's pretty useless. A way to combine the shout with a voice/your own voice would be awesome.(this is all for pugs cause they pretty much need it)

Or at least easy commands like dodge now that's shouted to your allies and which you can keybind would be awesome

I do agree that it would be nice to at least have a sound alert when warnings/important things are being shouted.For example, something similar to what WoW has for raid alerts. Doesn't necessarily have to be a voice alert, but a sound that will be heard and noticed by others so they can pay attention to the messages.

I guarantee you integrated voice chat is an invitation for disaster. For every competent "raid leader", there are a thousand self-appointed commanders barking orders (among other things) at passers-by. It's a nice idea, but terrible in practice. Plus, Discord is free, super easy to set up, and already has a UI-integrated overlay (which you can turn off if needs be).

That being said, beefing up the existing system shouldn't be too difficult. Call Target is already voiced; there could be additional lines for command functions or, better yet, activating command functions to call out what your character is doing to the squad - literally leading by example (simplified, of course: Dodge, Disable, Support Here, etc.). Only problem there is paying VA's to come in and record them.

Are you asking for in-game voice commands - so the commander says the command out loud and other players in the squad hear it? Or some type of voice-to-text thing where what they said comes up on screen? The first would probably be simpler but then you run the risk of people who have the sound turned off or are unable to hear not even knowing a command has been issued. (Yes there are people who can't read text easily either, but since that's an integral part of the game I think it's less common to encounter someone in that situation in GW2.)

But voice-to-text runs the risk of misinterpreting what the commander said and issuing nonsense commands, especially when you factor in all the place and enemy names which are not real words, and the possibility the commander is speaking a second language and may have a heavy accent and imperfect grammar to begin with.

I can definitely see the benefit of a system like this, but I think it would be tricky to get it right, and if it's no better than what we've already got it's not going to help much.

@"Trise.2865" said:I guarantee you integrated voice chat is an invitation for disaster. For every competent "raid leader", there are a thousand self-appointed commanders barking orders (among other things) at passers-by. It's a nice idea, but terrible in practice. Plus, Discord is free, super easy to set up, and already has a UI-integrated overlay (which you can turn off if needs be).

That being said, beefing up the existing system shouldn't be too difficult. Call Target is already voiced; there could be additional lines for command functions or, better yet, activating command functions to call out what your character is doing to the squad - literally leading by example (simplified, of course: Dodge, Disable, Support Here, etc.). Only problem there is paying VA's to come in and record them.

If this was one of the functions of the commander tag that would help a lot with the problem of people misusing it, because only 1 person per squad could use it, and only people who have chosen to join their squad would hear them. So if the commander proves to be incompetent or annoying you can just leave the squad.

For me it's preferable to using Discord. I do have and use Discord but I don't want to join yet another group every time I'm in an HP train or a squad for a meta-event. Especially because that does open up the possibility of loads of people talking, eating with their microphone on or assigning themselves the groups DJ.

@Danikat.8537 said:

If this was one of the functions of the commander tag that would help a lot with the problem of people misusing it, because only 1 person per squad could use it, and only people who have chosen to join their squad would hear them. So if the commander proves to be incompetent or annoying you can just leave the squad.

Agreed. Exactly what I was thinking.

Perhaps something akin to the Call systems in games like LoL. Properly kitted, it could be a nice feature for WvW as well as Map/Raid events.

Archived