Gaile Gray, where are you? - Page 2 — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Gaile Gray, where are you?

Comments

• @Cyninja.2954 said:

@AnClar.1304 said:
    What the actual??? Short, cryptic, and th-th-th-that's all folks??? After all these years??? What happened...a bit of explanation would be sorta helpful and appreciated.

Given very likely legal and contractual limitations as to what Gaile would be allowed to say, a polite goodbye is enough.

Very painful to see so many talented, popular and engaged individuals leave. Good Luck to you Gaile on all your future endeavors. :'(

Agreed...and this exodus has implications for the future of the game, and the community. If Gaile is limited as to what she can say, then a statement from the powers that be at the top to the community would be useful as well.

• We love you right back. Teary-eyed and very sad.

• Ana.2415Ana.2415 Member ✭✭✭

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:
    Goodbye, beloved Guild Wars 2 Community. I love you all and wish you well in the future.

Nooo Gaileeeee :( You always been there since I started playing GW1!!!! I can't believe this :(

• Im sorry to hear that Gaile. All the best to you in the future

• Danikat.8537Danikat.8537 Member ✭✭✭✭

Oh no! :(

Thank you for everything you've done for us over the years Gaile! It won't be the same without you.

Danielle Aurorel, Desolation EU. Mini Collector

"You can run like a river, Till you end up in the sea
    And you run till night is black, And keep on going in your dreams
    And you know all the long while, It's the journey that you seek
    It's the miles of moving forward, With the wind beneath your wings"

• :'(

Body is too short but really aren't words for all of this

• Curunen.8729Curunen.8729 Member ✭✭✭✭

WHAT!? :open_mouth:

😢

My ears, how are you! | Hammer Mesmer - elite spec concept.

• Locce.8405Locce.8405 Member ✭✭✭

Gaile? Seriously? This day is getting worse and worse.
    All the best, Gaile. We will miss you so much over here.

• Whoah wait...what? Were you cut or did you leave voluntarily. This is an important distinction.

Greck Howlbane - Firebrand
    Sorrow's Furnace For Life

• Tsakhi.8124Tsakhi.8124 Member ✭✭✭

-hugs- I don't know what else to say.

"How so big the sea hills how so deep the blue beneath.
    Hail from the main and comest thou home."

Sigrdrífumál
    Նոտ ենուղ պատիենծե
    Persona 4 MC: boldly sits on the girl's side and flirts with the guys
    Will work for pets and hugs!
    Sheep r gud 4 eets

• Noo Gaile! All the best to you, shame to see you go :anguished:

• Daddicus.6128Daddicus.6128 Member ✭✭✭✭

Sad to see you go, Gaile. You will be SORELY missed.

This portends very bad times for the game. Bad times.

• @Cyninja.2954 said:

@AnClar.1304 said:
    What the actual??? Short, cryptic, and th-th-th-that's all folks??? After all these years??? What happened...a bit of explanation would be sorta helpful and appreciated.

Given very likely legal and contractual limitations as to what Gaile would be allowed to say, a polite goodbye is enough.

Very painful to see so many talented, popular and engaged individuals leave. Good Luck to you Gaile on all your future endeavors. :'(

My guess is that NCSOFT is insisting that ANet (and its other subsidiaries) delegate responsibility for some functions to the Mother Ship. That could include player/community relations, marketing, security, support, legal, and anything that doesn't really need to be done in house. (The theory is it's cheaper to have a shared crew. In practice, yes, it costs less since it avoids duplication, but it doesn't necessarily mean "better" in the long run. But that's a hotly debated topic among theorists and practitioners alike.)

Sometimes a firm will offer jobs or transitional consulting to some of those directly affected; often they don't think that far in advance.

It would also mean there are going to be some rough patches in all of those functions for some time to come.

Hype is the path to the dark side. Hype leads to unfulfilled expectations. Disappointment leads to anger. Anger leads to disgust. Disgust leads to "oh, new shinies! I'm back!"

• RoseofGilead.8907RoseofGilead.8907 Member ✭✭✭✭

I hate to see you (and so many others) go, Gaile. We love you so much!

Oh look. I have a signature now.

• Blue.1207Blue.1207 Member ✭✭✭

They probably legit only fired her because she had one of the highest salaries in said position .

Real classy ANET.

• noxay.5930noxay.5930 Member ✭✭
    edited February 25, 2019

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:
    Goodbye, beloved Guild Wars 2 Community. I love you all and wish you well in the future.

Goodbye Gaile! Please take care, you have done a wonderful job as the community manager and we will all miss you dearly.

• Donari.5237Donari.5237 Member ✭✭✭✭

Oh no Gaile :( I saw your tweet too but I am not on Twitter. I wasn't sure you'd still have PM access since that goes with employment. So please know I am so gut-punched for you, and so baffled, if GW2 is continuing as a game why on EARTH let go of the one person that could soothe these troubled forums? You've had our trust, they can't just slot someone else into the role and expect the community to be cool with it.

Your ongoing calmness and kindness have been so wonderful. I hope some other company snaps you up, and offers you the same supportive workplace you've had here. I'm going to miss you so much :(:(:(

• Randulf.7614Randulf.7614 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@Cyninja.2954 said:

@AnClar.1304 said:

My guess is that NCSOFT is insisting that ANet (and its other subsidiaries) delegate responsibility for some functions to the Mother Ship. That could include player/community relations, marketing, security, support, legal, and anything that doesn't really need to be done in house. (The theory is it's cheaper to have a shared crew. In practice, yes, it costs less since it avoids duplication, but it doesn't necessarily mean "better" in the long run. But that's a hotly debated topic among theorists and practitioners alike.)

Sometimes a firm will offer jobs or transitional consulting to some of those directly affected; often they don't think that far in advance.

It would also mean there are going to be some rough patches in all of those functions for some time to come.

Would make sense but also would show NCSoft have no clue to the importance of community relations and management in an mmo. Gaile although not a developer, was very much a “face” of the company.

What sleep is here? What dreams there are in the unctuous coiling of the snakes mortal shuffling. weapon in my hand. My hand the arcing deathblow at the end of all things. The horror. The horror. I embrace it. . .

• Samug.6512Samug.6512 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 25, 2019

WHAT THE FOOCK
    That is so extremaly sad. Good bye Gaile.

[NUKE]

• Gaile, Deeply sorry to see you leave, no matter what the circumstances were. You will be missed. I truly hope you find yourself in a better situation at whatever it is you will move onto.

• AnClar.1304AnClar.1304 Member ✭✭
    edited February 25, 2019

https://gamedaily.biz/article/623/arenanet-eas-firemonkeys-face-significant-layoffs
    All promises to the contrary, this article is really a cause for grave doubts about the future of the MMORPG universe. I'm thoroughly depressed now. There are gonna be rough times ahead. If community relations goes down the tubes, the game and the company won't be far behind. :(:(:(

• Esterie.7409Esterie.7409 Member ✭✭✭

This is incredibly disheartening. I wish you well, Gaile. <3

- — World Completion — -

17 // 42

• Goodbye kind soul, you were my guildwars allmother, the one that talked to us when we felt down, the conga master, wielder of the frog, friend of the fora. Godspeed!

• Elothar.4382Elothar.4382 Member ✭✭✭

Gaile.... you have truly been one of the bright spots in my GW2 experience. I can only offer you my very best wishes in your future endeavors. Be well.

• @Gaile Gray.6029 said:

Farewell, Gaile. Thanks for adding a little light to our days. You will be missed. All the best to you.

I wonder what's here.

• Tyson.5160Tyson.5160 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 25, 2019

Bye Gaile, you will be missed...

• Zephyra.4709Zephyra.4709 Member ✭✭✭

My thoughts are with you Gaile, and the rest of the team that were let off in these dark days. Thank you for all your hard work through thick and thin.

• Nightshade.2570Nightshade.2570 Member ✭✭
    edited February 25, 2019

"Guild Wars 2 will not be affected"

We will miss you Gaile we are definitely affected by your loss as well as all your brilliant colleagues...

• Daishi.6027Daishi.6027 Member ✭✭✭✭

All is vain.

• TheGrimm.5624TheGrimm.5624 Member ✭✭✭✭

You will be missed. Thank you for playing your game with us. It was always nice to see your toon out in the world with us. You will be missed.

Envy the Madman his musing when Death comes to make fools of us all.
    De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.
    TheGrimm PoTBS/GW1/WAR/Rift/GW2/MWO/ESO/WoT/WoW/D2/Civ6/CU/AoC/NW

• time for a crusade

• @AnClar.1304 said:

@AnClar.1304 said:
    https://gamedaily.biz/article/623/arenanet-eas-firemonkeys-face-significant-layoffs
    All promises to the contrary, this article is really a cause for grave doubts about the future of the MMORPG universe. I'm thoroughly depressed now.

I think it's impossible to predict what will happen, especially from reading a game daily article. There are companies that struggle to adapt to minor changes in their funding stream and others that bounce back from near disaster. With the news of the specific names leaving ANet (and the amount of institutional knowledge that will be lost), this is a big upheaval. But what it means for ANet or even GW2 ... still too soon to say.

I expect to see some business-speak from management, which I'll also ignore. I'll wait to see what the company actually delivers in 8-9 months. The next six months or more is close enough to delivery that it probably won't be affected much; it's what happens after that interests me.

When employees are laid off in such large numbers, the hit to morale aside, I strongly suspect that there will be overall qualitative product declines as well. You just can't remove that much institutional knowledge without negative effects. In games like GW2, with it's traditional approach to community development, it's inevitable that there will be less time to devote to community development. People will be expected to do twice the work they'd been doing before. I've seen this in too many other industries to believe it will be any different in the gaming word. I hope for the best, but frankly, I'm expecting the worst.

The difference between our posts is that you're expecting something and I'm not. Yes, these layoffs are substantial; the company will never be the same. That could be bad, for all the reasons that you (and I) mentioned. Or it could end up forcing ANet to rethink things entirely, to good effect. Since I have absolutely no control over that, I choose to wait to see how it actually turns out.

Hype is the path to the dark side. Hype leads to unfulfilled expectations. Disappointment leads to anger. Anger leads to disgust. Disgust leads to "oh, new shinies! I'm back!"

• Kovu.7560Kovu.7560 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:

I'm sorry to see one of the few employees who talks to the players go.
    Good luck on future endeavours.

~ Kovu

Ranger, Necromancer, Fort Aspenwood.

• ArchonWing.9480ArchonWing.9480 Member ✭✭✭✭

This is terrible news.

But I don't want to bring this up all up here. Thanks for your work.

• Hesacon.8735Hesacon.8735 Member ✭✭✭✭

The Monday Massacre.

• Blaeys.3102Blaeys.3102 Member ✭✭✭

This seems like a very bad move on their part. Gaile will be missed terribly.

• Zalani.9827Zalani.9827 Member ✭✭✭

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:

I’m going to miss you Gaile, I still remember hanging out in Lions Arch back in gw1 watching the frog talk.

Good luck! <3

Jadis Narnia, Sylvari Ranger of [VoS]

Praise Joko!

• I've only been on GW2 for a little over a year, and active on the forum for only the past few months. In that short time, I saw what a warm, dedicated, and inspiring presence she was as not only the face of the company, but as much a part of the community as us all.

Gaile, you will be sorely missed. Wishing you the best. <3

• Goodbye Gaile. Best wishes. Hope your next job is also one you love.

Be careful what you ask for
    ANet might give it to you.

Forum Guides: Images. Text

• @Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@AnClar.1304 said:

@AnClar.1304 said:
    All promises to the contrary, this article is really a cause for grave doubts about the future of the MMORPG universe. I'm thoroughly depressed now.

I think it's impossible to predict what will happen, especially from reading a game daily article. There are companies that struggle to adapt to minor changes in their funding stream and others that bounce back from near disaster. With the news of the specific names leaving ANet (and the amount of institutional knowledge that will be lost), this is a big upheaval. But what it means for ANet or even GW2 ... still too soon to say.

I expect to see some business-speak from management, which I'll also ignore. I'll wait to see what the company actually delivers in 8-9 months. The next six months or more is close enough to delivery that it probably won't be affected much; it's what happens after that interests me.

When employees are laid off in such large numbers, the hit to morale aside, I strongly suspect that there will be overall qualitative product declines as well. You just can't remove that much institutional knowledge without negative effects. In games like GW2, with it's traditional approach to community development, it's inevitable that there will be less time to devote to community development. People will be expected to do twice the work they'd been doing before. I've seen this in too many other industries to believe it will be any different in the gaming word. I hope for the best, but frankly, I'm expecting the worst.

The difference between our posts is that you're expecting something and I'm not. Yes, these layoffs are substantial; the company will never be the same. That could be bad, for all the reasons that you (and I) mentioned. Or it could end up forcing ANet to rethink things entirely, to good effect. Since I have absolutely no control over that, I choose to wait to see how it actually turns out.

https://medium.com/@davidgallan/who-knows-what-s-good-or-bad-my-tedx-talk-transcript-8404344779ce OK. Your point is well-taken. :)

• @Gaile Gray.6029 said:

I've said everything I wanted to on Twitter.

Farewell lass. The community will miss you dearly.

My Wiki Profile
    Honorary Seraph Captain
    Guardian Expert

• It's been a pleasure and an honor, sir. May the Six be with you.

• Lincolnbeard.1735Lincolnbeard.1735 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 25, 2019

@Twilight Tempest.7584 said:
    I've only been on GW2 for a little over a year, and active on the forum for only the past few months. In that short time, I saw what a warm, dedicated, and inspiring presence she was as not only the face of the company, but as much a part of the community as us all.

Gaile, you will be sorely missed. Wishing you the best. <3

Gaile has been with us since GW1, she was the best and most loved of the community staff. (edit: not only the community staff - of the whole company I would say)

WTH ANet?

The degenerate

• Bloodstealer.5978Bloodstealer.5978 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 25, 2019

@AnClar.1304 said:

@AnClar.1304 said:

Let's hope there is a Phoenix effect in the making... this is a bad day for all concerned and for the foreseeable future, things wont be the same.
    All we can do is keep logging in, having fun and hold those affected in high reverence for all their efforts.

/Salute

BTW - Gaile Gray for President 2020... the ultimate peacekeeper

Life is what YOU make it... NOT what others tell you!

This discussion has been closed.