Picking a first class for 80. Warrior or thief?

Skyfire.1639

Hey guys. Just thought i'd drop another question on general, as i'm getting back into the game and dabbling a bit :)

i'm looking for a melee class to take as my first 80 (i have a ton of alts in the 30-50 range as well as a couple level boosts to burn). I really enjoy my warrior and am leaning towards him... but i also hear good things about thieves (and daredevil) at the top end for general world play.

I need something with good sustain and decent dps. Not looking for something god tier in groups or anything (though good group usage is a bonus). I just want to quest around, clear the maps and have some fun.

So... yea... looking for opinions. I'm open to other options too, but i'm wobbling between those two right now lol. Warrior vs. thief :)

tyvm all :)

I think it depends what you want to do. For example in WvW, thieves are generally excluded from group play and are better for roaming solo around the map, getting the jump on players, taking small camps, etc. Whereas a warrior in this environment would be more accepted for group play.

i have next to no interest in pvp (nothing against it, just not my thing) and will generally be solo for awhile.

Then again, i have nothing against grouping either lol.

But i'm dipping back in for the first time since just before HoT and don't really have a guild or anything yet. I just want to play around and explore the world, fill some hearts and complete the questlines.

Sounds like you should go with Warrior! Both are great for your goal. It seems like you tested both and enjoy warrior more, so that is the one to pick. In general, thief is more intensive to play as mistakes are more punishing. They rely a lot on stealth and dodging. In the meantime, warrior can feel super active to play as well, depending on your build. It is just a lot more tanky and don't need many tricks to deal a lot of damage.

tyvm guys :)

i burned one 80 boost on my warr (gonna go back to continue the story once i unlock glide and my first mount). Currently tooling around a bit with dual daggers and can't wait to get the 7% heal on crit thing... seems like that would be a nice boost to sustain :)

liking the interrupts etc. on the build but also looking into what sustainable builds i can use with a greatsword or 2h hammer... i love those things too lol.

Decisions decisions.

Fun times :)

cheers guys :)

Archived