WvW mechanics

Rogue.4756

So I'm fairly new to WvW. I ha e previously been a 100% pve player. I solo everything, personal story, ls, and so on without any problems. I have just recently started WvW as something new to do. I went to metabattle checked out builds and made a couple too so suitable for WvW. However, I continually get seriously trounced. I assume the mechanics of pve and WvW are very different and I just need to learn the WvW mechanics of fighting to be more successful. Or is there something else I am missing. By the way, I haven't found the WvW community to be rude or toxic in anyway. Never been kick out if squad by a commander or had anyone voice any ill will or anything. Much appreciated as I am new and still learning. I guess I should say I am on Gates of Madness, not sure if that makes any real difference at all. Also, as far as armour goes, I don't have any ascended at all, I have never crafted or tried any fractals at all. As I said I have been strictly pve. I do have ascended trinkets as far as that goes though. Also, I have tried out power reaper, Chrono and spell breaker. I prefer reaper in pve, but so far in wvw I've enjoyed spell breaker. I have been in the game for 5 years and have all core professions to lvl80 plus elites ( somewheres around 13 or 14 toons)

The rudeness and toxic happens but its not all that bad to just block it.

Blobbing wont help you for fighting in WvW, tho newcomers seem to be prone to zerging since pve on bosses is mostly that.

Find a roaming, havok guild....nothing over 20 closed wvw members and you'll be able to learn a lot more than zerging.And in time or right away if they like you, you'll be able to get feedback from them on builds etc.

I speak from my first year experience when the game launched and I roamed with my first guild (5-10 peps) on a level 60 I think it was War...learned a lot more than following Goldie in Ebg on say war with such big fights and ktraining stuff...

If your on Ehmry Bay, I don't mind helping you out, got some good build theory crafters in our wvw core.

Here's some tips in regards to general World vs. World roaming:

• You will need to focus more on sustain than outright damage. WvW is a mix of PvE and PvP, as not only are there general mobs to deal with, you are also dealing with areas contested by other players in other worlds. Whereas you normally would lack in your stun breakers (check your skills!), invest in them, as well as getting some stability and/or resistance. Thankfully, your skill setup for WvW and general PvE is kept different.
  • Progressing in World vs. World involves capturing some spots or ensuring the passage of your supplies to the destination. Eternal Battlegrounds (EBG) tends to generate the most havoc as it's a 1v1v1 tug-of-war that centers over the central keep. Try going to a different area (you can see the status of everything in the Map screen -- default M) if you feel you are of more benefit.
  • World vs. World is better if you're in a guild that has active participants, in a world you've signed up for. Transferring worlds costs gems and will reset your pip counter. If you're becoming serious with WvW, sometimes a change might be in order -- but the more populated, the more expensive the move.
  • Completing objectives, such as capturing ruins or getting a checkpoint, gives you tiered progress that adds to your pip generation as well as your Reward Track progress. Decide on a reward track and lock it in before you start progressing, or you will be forced to start at the beginning of that track if you switch.
  • Sometimes that zerg might not be for you. Keep an eye on team comms. If you're too far of a distance (especially in a different battleground), you can't help if things fall.
  • Block the toxic people. Seriously, do it. Some exist to demoralise the current world/linkage. Throw in some reports for verbal abuse while you're blocking them.

And my favorite:

• It's okay to have a bad day. Sometimes your world is not winning or things are just not progressing even if you help out. Do some minor things or take a break. Everything changes in a 2-hour frame, especially at reset.

For the TL;DR crew:

• Work more towards sustain gear/skills
  • Ignore the toxicity
  • Try to get into a guild that's doing WvW in your world if solo doesn't cut it
  • Help out if you can, but recognise when things are falling apart and escape if that's the case

Some side tips regardless of what you are doing:

• make sure you have some schematics for what you're going to do -- catapult, flame rams
  • ALWAYS CARRY SUPPLY WITH YOU. You can't build schema or make repairs without it!

If you also haven't done any pvp then of course there's a learning curve. Things happen way faster and conditions are less forgiving. You can expect to lose most encounters at first (even if you're lucky enough not to be outnumbered). I'm pretty new to wvw myself, with limited pvp experience. I generally try to avoid enemy players unless I'm with at least a couple of other people. I've been caught several times alone, won some and lost some - but I'd have lost them all for sure if I'd never done any pvp. It's not a matter of knowing what build to use etc. so much as simple experience and not having to spend time thinking about what to click next.

@Biff.5312 said:If you also haven't done any pvp then of course there's a learning curve. Things happen way faster and conditions are less forgiving. You can expect to lose most encounters at first (even if you're lucky enough not to be outnumbered). I'm pretty new to wvw myself, with limited pvp experience. I generally try to avoid enemy players unless I'm with at least a couple of other people. I've been caught several times alone, won some and lost some - but I'd have lost them all for sure if I'd never done any pvp. It's not a matter of knowing what build to use etc. so much as simple experience and not having to spend time thinking about what to click next.

That's an important one! Skills often have a split between PvE and WvW. You'll often see 'split skills' when the information for the skill tells you so. Sometimes it's an increased cooldown. Sometimes it is altered effectiveness. The general gist was also messed in there, but yeah -- 80% of the time you will be facing off against other players. It's not just the NPCs to deal with. If you have some PvP experience, then of course it will be generally easier to get into. Otherwise the curve is a bit sharper. Don't let this discourage you. Often times you will be in groups, but as you learn, you will find your footing and know how to survive.

Archived