New race (Ideas).

Zrimac.4631

I'd like to start of that this is purely a disscussion and i'd love to get some constructive criticism back.

I love how the races are connected to each other and there are basically 5 major ones, but they are mostly similar and after story mission when you decide between 3 orders, race doesn't matter anymore. A lot of people say that the story does mess with the addition of new races. I don't think so. In the norn story line you meet with kodan, meaning there's a connection between norns and kodans before the selection of the 3 orders. There could be a possibility that 2 kodans (you and a friend of eir) venture out helping the norns fight the Svanir where midstory, the friend of eir dies to zaitan minions and eir asks you to join one of the 3 orders to help the fight (normal story continues after that). Now that is a rough comparison of how the story problem could be bi-passed.

I know thinking back into every past of the 5 major characters of destiny's edge, could be difficult, but if i'm not mistaken, all of them were busy with their own cities, races and in general problems. No way every single moment of their past was documented so i believe that a new race could also be presented as a "ancient friend of mine".

Anyway that's my thoughts on the whole new race situation. I'd just love a new look to the armors, it feels kind of plain when all armors look the same on most races (charr and asura really change the whole set so it's visible).

Just why? Has almost zero value gameplay-wise; racial skills are mostly neglected, difference only lies in personal story and a starting location, so insignificant - yet it requires a lot of work put into it (arts, animations, writing / voice overs etc). Those resources should have be invested into creating new e-specs, or new professions, or new maps / DLCs with tons of high-lv content, as this the only content that matters and makes game to last longer. Nobody cares that much about a new start location and appearance to keep playing just for that.

@yoni.7015 said:There are already so many threads about this topic. Why open a new one?

I didn't think commenting on a semi old one will get me enough answers so sorry about that.

@MoriMoriMori.5349 said:Just why? Has almost zero value gameplay-wise; racial skills are mostly neglected, difference only lies in personal story and a starting location, so insignificant - yet it requires a lot of work put into it (arts, animations, writing / voice overs etc). Those resources should have be invested into creating new e-specs, or new professions, or new maps / DLCs with tons of high-lv content, as this the only content that matters and makes game to last longer. Nobody cares that much about a new start location and appearance to keep playing just for that.

Well to say that nobody cares about a new race is kind of wrong since a lot of people want it. Yes i know that most people just use tomes to lvl up to 80 and then go straight into end zones, which absolutely neglects the starting areas, but i still think that with the addition of a race a lot of people would want to experience it fully. IDK i guess i want the whole world map to be populated and not just dlc areas.

@Zrimac.4631 said:

@yoni.7015 said:There are already so many threads about this topic. Why open a new one?

I didn't think commenting on a semi old one will get me enough answers so sorry about that.

@MoriMoriMori.5349 said:Just why? Has almost zero value gameplay-wise; racial skills are mostly neglected, difference only lies in personal story and a starting location, so insignificant - yet it requires a lot of work put into it (arts, animations, writing / voice overs etc). Those resources should have be invested into creating new e-specs, or new professions, or new maps / DLCs with tons of
high-lv
content, as this the only content that matters and makes game to last longer. Nobody cares that much about a new start location and appearance to keep playing just for that.

Well to say that nobody cares about a new race is kind of wrong since a lot of people want it. Yes i know that most people just use tomes to lvl up to 80 and then go straight into end zones, which absolutely neglects the starting areas, but i still think that with the addition of a race a lot of people would want to experience it fully. IDK i guess i want the whole world map to be populated and not just dlc areas.

core maps are pretty populated last i checked

@derd.6413 said:

@MoriMoriMori.5349 said:Just why? Has almost zero value gameplay-wise; racial skills are mostly neglected, difference only lies in personal story and a starting location, so insignificant - yet it requires a lot of work put into it (arts, animations, writing / voice overs etc). Those resources should have be invested into creating new e-specs, or new professions, or new maps / DLCs with tons of
high-lv
content, as this the only content that matters and makes game to last longer. Nobody cares that much about a new start location and appearance to keep playing just for that.

Last i played i waited 4 hours for help for the queen when i was doing the mistward achivement (at a popular time).

@Zrimac.4631 said:

high-lv

Last i played i waited 4 hours for help for the queen when i was doing the mistward achivement (at a popular time).

sure you weren't in an overflow map? last i did karka it was pretty populated

@derd.6413 said:

high-lv

Karka was fine and i didn't get any chance to switch to more popular maps.

@derd.6413 said:

high-lv

Chances are that that's the case but let's be honest, the game isn't very good at explaining much of anything. I can imagine new players really struggling with finding out about for example how servers work here.

@Gehenna.3625 said:

high-lv

Chances are that that's the case but let's be honest, the game isn't very good at explaining much of anything. I can imagine new players really struggling with finding out about for example how servers work here.

I'm not a new player, but yeah it's bad for them. Why i mentioned new races is because, story wise, it would need a connection to current races, meaning the old starting areas would get more populated, possibly new events.

@Zrimac.4631 said:

high-lv

I'm not a new player, but yeah it's bad for them. Why i mentioned new races is because, story wise, it would need a connection to current races, meaning the old starting areas would get more populated, possibly new events.The way I see it, new races will not happen. Why? Because it actually is a lot of work to implement a new race and I do not think that it will profit them much. So the investment is a lot higher than the return and therefore it's a bad investment. One thing to consider is that all armor sets and outfit will need a redesign to fit the new body models. That's a ton of work. Why would they do all that work when most people play female humans anyway?

@Zrimac.4631 said:

high-lv

I'm not a new player, but yeah it's bad for them. Why i mentioned new races is because, story wise, it would need a connection to current races, meaning the old starting areas would get more populated, possibly new events.

unfortunately story wise a new race is pretty easy. it's more technical issues that prevent a new race. (putting all the armor on a new model, having new voice actors record old and new lines for this new race, etc.)

Race doesn't matter and adding a new one won't add anything of value to the game that couldn't be added by other means. Too much work for not enough outcome but at this point we're beating the parking lot that was built on the ground that the horse died on at some point three years ago.

@Zrimac.4631 said:

I didn't mean it isn't needed at all, but that in the realistic situation when Anet having limited resources, it's not worth spending those on something like that. Even without tomes, you can pretty much reach levelcap in 3-4 weeks of regular play on core maps alone nowdays - and may not even fully explore half of them while doing it. And what's then? What to do for the next 1-3 years, while you are lv 80, got some experience, and need something more interesting, lasting and challenging?

Though starting areas actually was normally the most boring part for me, anyway, as they are mindnubingly easy (made that to not scare new players, I guess). They were boring for me even when I was playing with my very first character, I even created topics about my disappointment due to the lack of challenge :) So when I created my next characters I tried to get out of starting maps asap, to start playing the game, at last.

@Zrimac.4631 said:

Not so much about commenting on an older thread; rather it is because this topic has been talked about and many points have already been dissected and discussed t length that yet another thread won't necessarily add anything new.

Archived