Is elixir gun good in PvP ?

Supermonk.6913

Hi. I am new to engineer and guild wars 2 but not that new.

I know scrapper and holismith are very strong.

I was wondering if elixir gun is strong for dueling and 1v1 as engineer ?

I know people call it a support weapon but I think elixir gun is very powerful.

The poison dart does sustain damage and gives weakness which makes damage incoming half right ?

Acid spray is good for damage and acid bomb does tremendous damage.

The healing orb is good for healing and sustain but the 2nd skill I can't see it being that good.

ANYWAYS.

I was thinking of making a celestial elixir gun build or maybe a sentinal elixir gun build for wvw roaming.

I already have a scrapper on a character slot. Was going to make this engineer an elixir gun duelist.

Maybe I am reading this wrong.

Is elixir gun OP weapon to main and kit to sit in for Controlled PvP and owning in skirmishes ?

I plan to use this same build for spvp too.

The flame thrower is not that great. Mostly cleave burn. Bomb kit feels utterly useless. Grenades feels good for air cleave support. Tool kit feels kind of weak/too much ultility. Hammer is s a great defense control weapon. Rifle feels like a great control damage weapon. Pistols looks like good single target condition.

But elixir gun still feels like a good solo dueling weapon. Also tanky and controlling.

So anyone have any tips about elixir gun ? Should I camp it for dueling ?

Thanks all for reading. Good luck.

EG is a great utility, it were nerfed with the condition clear on elixirs but it's still viable.

But it's not a kit for "camping". It have a lot defensive utilities (weakness, cripple, leap back) but it don't have damage (just EG4 if you root the enemy on the puddle and cancel the leap). Actually that was one of the most annoying combos from the First Scrapper with the SlickShoes (before nerf) to sit people on EG4 while hit them with the hammer. But sadly that combo was nerfed and don't work anymore.

Nowadays, EG is still used on Scrapper roaming but is not as strong as it was before. Nice utility but no enough good to make a build around it.

NOTE: As an Celestial Scrapper with EG, U will be ridiculously resilient but without enough damage to kill anyone.

EG also has a low-CD Stunbreaker, that can be traited twice for shorter CD.The weakness (EG-1) is also nice when fighting warriors to avoid burst damage.

However, it's a support/utility kit, whose main features work without being traited, so it is a nice addition to most builds, but not a necessity.In support-Builds it's almost mandatory, since EG-3 clears 25 conditions on allies on a 12s CD. in a 1vs1 that skill mostly just a good cleave-tag & poison application.

Similar opinion here: Elixir Gun is strong, but not fit to make a build around it. It is a great Addition to almost any Kind of build.

I use elixir gun in many of my WvW roaming builds; be it condi, power or celestial, but the elixir gun is nowhere the main source of play in any of my builds as it lacks the damage Output.

It's only good if you're playing support scrapper or core engineer.

Core engineer especially needs the elixir gun because if you're running a 3+ kit build in PvP. Core engineer lacks stability when running kit builds and therefore makes you vulnerable to CC. The cooldown on the elixir gun's stun breaker is 35 seconds. If you use the HGH trait from the Alchemy specialization and the Tools specialization, the cooldown goes from 35 seconds to 24 seconds. It may only be one stun breaker, but it's a very good one especially for core engineer.

If you run any kits in pvp/wvw you should never camp them. You should always rotate between your weapon and kit to make use of more skills in combat.

Anyways the elixir gun offers too little damage. Its skills have low power coefficients and doesn't apply enough conditions, meaning your elixir gun skills don't scale very well with any damage stat. It also lacks a hard-hitting main damage ability on a short cooldown that most weapon sets have. You are going to hit like wet noodles while your opponent hits like a truck. In fact I highly doubt you can take wvw camps alone with elixir gun only.

As others have mentioned above, learn to use it for its utility. It gives condi removal, poison application, stun break, mobility and might (when traited). All these make it arguably the best kit to run in pvp/wvw for an engineer.

Archived