Griever Gear on Condition/Hybrid Soulbeast

Marcaum.1302

@Skuzz.6580 said:We can only test Exotic grieving gear atm, since the inscriptions are not in the game yet (last I heard)

Actually, it's possible to test at least nearly full ascended Grieving gear. Legendary gear (Armor and Weapons) + WvW ascended Trinkets (which offer the stat comb) and you are good to go.

Grievers gear will boost your power dmg on condi ranger.

Now think for a moment. What % of base dmg on the condi ranger abilities + weapon deals condition dmg and what percentage deals power dmg? Ist it more power or more condition dmg?

If power dmg would have a higher percentage, grievers gear would boost your overall dmg, if condition dmg would have a higher percentage grievers gear would be a dmg loss.

What do you think happens with grievers gear on condi ranger?

@Adenin.5973 said:Grievers gear will boost your power dmg on condi ranger.

Now think for a moment. What % of base dmg on the condi ranger abilities + weapon deals condition dmg and what percentage deals power dmg? Ist it more power or more condition dmg?

If power dmg would have a higher percentage, grievers gear would boost your overall dmg, if condition dmg would have a higher percentage grievers gear would be a dmg loss.

If I wanted "thinking" or "theorycrafting" I would not bother to ask if anyone has actually tried it. That's whya I asked if anyone tried it and has any gameplay/benchmark videos.

@Marcaum.1302 said:

@Adenin.5973 said:Grievers gear will boost your power dmg on condi ranger.

If I wanted "thinking" or "theorycrafting" I would not bother to ask if anyone has actually tried it. That's whya I asked if anyone tried it and has any gameplay/benchmark videos.

It's like asking if condi ranger is better with berserkers stats. No it's not and why would anyone try. The only classes worth testing grievers are those that cap their duration without vipers. This is not the case with ranger.

Hybrid is not going to do as much damage as something that focuses on either power or condi for the simple fact that unless the weapon set does exactly 50:50 power/condi damage, then it is more beneficial to spec purely on one or the other.

That said, unless you are min/maxing for raiding, then Grievers is going to be pretty nice for some build diversity imo, with ferocity stacking it will make for a fun play style, but it will not be the most efficient use of stats.

The other issue with Grievers is that you need a high crit chance to make use of the ferocity, every missed crit is literally wasted stats, but Vicious Quarry will bring the base crit chance to 65% or so (with fury) plus Hunters Tactics if you play it right, then perhaps Spotter so you can get it pretty high and make use of it.

If you want to raid/be efficient, get the Vipers/Nightmare-Trapper set. I wanna try something like http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQRAoX8fnUqAtrg1sAWsAs8iFDBLv6udHvNdggVVjJAM6OdlMuwA-jBCFQBUV5n1OBAA4JAkVlgKV9HgqfwN7PogDCApA8TZF-e for fun though.

@"Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582" said:Hybrid is not going to do as much damage as something that focuses on either power or condi for the simple fact that unless the weapon set does exactly 50:50 power/condi damage, then it is more beneficial to spec purely on one or the other.

That said, unless you are min/maxing for raiding, then Grievers is going to be pretty nice for some build diversity imo, with ferocity stacking it will make for a fun play style, but it will not be the most efficient use of stats.

The other issue with Grievers is that you need a high crit chance to make use of the ferocity, every missed crit is literally wasted stats, but Vicious Quarry will bring the base crit chance to 65% or so (with fury) plus Hunters Tactics if you play it right, then perhaps Spotter so you can get it pretty high and make use of it.

If you want to raid/be efficient, get the Vipers/Nightmare-Trapper set. I wanna try something like http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQRAoX8fnUqAtrg1sAWsAs8iFDBLv6udHvNdggVVjJAM6OdlMuwA-jBCFQBUV5n1OBAA4JAkVlgKV9HgqfwN7PogDCApA8TZF-e for fun though.

Thank very much for this, this is exactly what I am talking about. Maybe it is not the ultra most efficient for raiding, but perhaps it will be great for everything else PvE.

I'm not sure that I completely agree that one needs to be 50/50 power/condi in order to make an effective hybrid build. I've done some initial testing (expensive!) by approximating Griever's gear through mixing up some of my ascended sets and then shifting some of my trinkets stats. By doing this, I've gotten very similar stats to what I think of as a possible Griever's setup.

For the most part, it performs very well in fractals/open world. The whole idea of it is a focus on maximizing damage for relatively short fights (which most are, relative to long raid boss fights) - ie. power, crit, crit damage, and condition damage - while giving up condition duration.

I'd agree, that if you're standing still in a test dummy fight, you'll pull more damage out of maximizing into a Berserker or Viper's setup, but in real fights, there are a lot more variables at play. You are likely running around, avoiding AoE, killing adds, switching back to the boss, etc. so what you want is to keep those big bursts or power, while still maintaining very healthy condi ticks while you're moving or shifting targets. This is what this kind of hybrid is all about. My initial tests have really been effective. I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has given this sort of thing a try.

You're missing one hugely important point: Ranger has terrible power coefficients. A lot of weapons and classes do but Ranger takes the cake, stacking power and ferocity is awful even on power builds.

A previous poster was right, you don't need a live benchmark to see how poorly a 'hybrid' build would do when you need full vipers and the GM to hit 100% duration on the 3 important DPS conditions. Wen you combine this with awful power scaling there is no point in sacrificng anything when viper +nightmare/trapper runes already pulls 35-38k dps no problem

@Aretak.3826 said:You're missing one hugely important point: Ranger has terrible power coefficients. A lot of weapons and classes do but Ranger takes the cake, stacking power and ferocity is awful even on power builds.

A previous poster was right, you don't need a live benchmark to see how poorly a 'hybrid' build would do when you need full vipers and the GM to hit 100% duration on the 3 important DPS conditions. Wen you combine this with awful power scaling there is no point in sacrificng anything when viper +nightmare/trapper runes already pulls 35-38k dps no problem

I'm going to remove my previous comment here, because it wasn't really adding anything to the discussion. Overall, I agree. Power ranger isn't where I would like it to be, that's a whole other discussion. The griever's / hybrid option I think is fun and kinda "just" viable enough to use in the open world, mostly because most fights are short, so front loading your damage into big bursts can work out fine.

Archived