Can't decide between Ele or Engi

Hello there. I am playing GW2 from time to time i played pretty much all classes to max lvl tested and I like ele and engi ( holosmith). And I just can't decide on what class to stay at. I want a class that does damage i don't want to support. For PvP as well but what I heard both of the classes (compared to other damagers ) are lacklusters in terms of PvP damage.So can you give me some pros and cons on what class I should go for so I won't gear it up unnecesarily for PvE and be forced to support or not be taken into dungeons raids because my class is considered just a burden.

In PvE, both holosmith and elementalist can run berserker gear with scholar runes, especially holosmith. Holosmith works better with power builds and it has no support capabilities, unless you count dropping the Healing Turret as a support capability. Elementalist has more complicated rotations whether you play core elementalist, tempest or weaver whereas holosmith has simpler rotations even if you run the grenade and bomb kit.

In PvP, I would say holosmith is the better specialization. Elementalist isn't as bad as some people claim to be, but it's definitely a profession that requires you to be really good in order to compete with the other professions. Holosmith doesn't have the best damage, but it has solid damage and some of the best CC skills, Holographic Shockwave being one of them. Holosmith can do 1v1 fairly well against most professions, but is very weak against condition builds.

If you're new to engineer, play holosmith. Core engineer and Scrapper aren't as beginner friendly as holosmith is, so if you don't want to struggle with learning core engineer's complex skill rotations with kits or Scrapper's tank/support roles, play holosmith.

From what I've seen in PvP (I played both Ele and Holo, but in PvE only), Holosmith is not lackluster at all. It has a good burst damage, although recently I see more Scrappers. Ele are indeed more difficult to play. Good players are difficult to kill, they make good use of shields for example. But unexperienced elementalists are easy to kill before they can deal a significant damage. Also I think that ppl expect more support from ele, so if you don't like to support with active boons for example, maybe the Holosmith is a better choice. (I'm a noob with both btw, so don't trust me much...)

Archived