"Paypal not valid for your country" Canadians not welcome?

obi.4032

Seriously? I just came back after about a two year absence, logged in, tried to buy the new expansions and I get a message saying Paypal is not valid for my country. How is that even possible? Well, okay if you don't want me to spend close to $100 USD, using one of the safest methods there is, then that's fine. I can stick with Blizzard and go back to playing Wow. This was very disappointing.

I'm a US citizen and live in the continental US, and it gave me that error code when I attempted to check out in game with both my debit card and PayPal. I had to make my purchase through the website using Microsoft Edge for it to work (Google Chrome created issues checking out as well, possibly due to extensions).

Why do people very often think, that every little bug exists solely for stopping especially them to do anything? Ever filed a ticket? I assume no.

If I would be ArenaNet, it would be now that I wouldn't want your money if you act like being a child king whose toy has been taken.

I am in Canada and use the BLN and/or website to purchase gems/upgrades/xpacs etc. This is likely a Digital River vs Paypal issue as I have never run into a problem. Keep in mind that Paypal will auto-decline transactions if the response time to the vendor (Digital River) for security/safety/caution reasons. So it could be that the connection to Digital River got messed up and you got punted. Check/refresh your IP by restarting your modem/router and try logging into Paypal directly rather than via GW2 or DR. A stale/old IP can cause you to get weird messages about being out of country. Hope it works out for you!

This is possibly a problem between the government of Canada and PayPal. In brazil it works like this. If there is a vendor who abides by our taxes and whatknot, we can't simply buy directly in USD. We have to buy through the BRL currency website. It sucks, i know, but that's how it is.

@obi.4032 said:Seriously? I just came back after about a two year absence, logged in, tried to buy the new expansions and I get a message saying Paypal is not valid for my country. How is that even possible? Well, okay if you don't want me to spend close to $100 USD, using one of the safest methods there is, then that's fine. I can stick with Blizzard and go back to playing Wow. This was very disappointing.

He is no canadian.... no canadian would be like that they would be humble sorry and nice. hmpfDo not try to fool us!

(PS: It can be because you used paypal out of country in the last 2 years and paypal checks where you paypal account is being used. If you used it out of canada and then suddenly in canada there could be address conflict. that is why you get that error)

I can't speculate what goes on behind the scenes between NCSoft and PayPal, but I'd be very surprised if Canada is barred. Odds are there's something else going on with your account specifically, so I'd suggest filing a ticket if payment isn't working for any reason. I had a problem making a purchase shortly after PoF was announced (I suspect playing through a VPN a few years ago had raised some red flags) and they sorted it out within a day, much to my surprise.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:There was another post, where a bug was entering CA for Cananda, rather than CN, or whatever Canada usually uses. It was all cleared up with a ticket.

CA is Canada. CN is actually China, so if the two get confused I can imagine there might be a few issues arising. ;)

Archived