Make EtD great again

Scoobaniec.9561

I'd love the original HoT Mallyx. It used to be so special.Now it's just a Torment-spamming machine and it's uninteresting. Unyielding Anguish was one of my most favorite skills before it got reworked. I know it wasn't a healthy mechanic but it could be tweaked to work a bit more reliably for both Revenant and its opponents.

Just bring the Beta Mallyx back/

The old Mallyx design was pretty cool, especially the copy on EtD. Regrettably it's not as interesting as it was originally, but here's a reason to use EtD in WvW (And i guess open world PvE) currently;

• Spec into Retribution, take Steadfast Rejuvenation grandmaster trait. At 0 healing power (HP) this is 402/sec healing using EtD. For me at ~900 HP it's ~460/sec.
  • Add Runes of Tormenting. At 0 HP this is 171/torment stack applied. (183 at ~900 HP) EtD is unblockable and has a 5 target cap, so you will heal between 171-855 health per second depending on how many targets you are hitting.

Total combined healing at 0 HP is between 573-1257/second depending on the amount of targets hit. (Using only EtD, without taking into account other sources of torment you are applying.)

You can get some solid sustain out of it vs groups or pet classes. :-)

@WraithOfStealth.1624 said:The old Mallyx design was pretty cool, especially the copy on EtD. Regrettably it's not as interesting as it was originally, but here's a reason to use EtD in WvW (And i guess open world PvE) currently;

• Spec into Retribution, take Steadfast Rejuvenation grandmaster trait. At 0 healing power (HP) this is 402/sec healing using EtD. For me at ~900 HP it's ~460/sec.
  • Add Runes of Tormenting. At 0 HP this is 171/torment stack applied. (183 at ~900 HP) EtD is unblockable and has a 5 target cap, so you will heal between 171-855 health per second depending on how many targets you are hitting.

Total combined healing at 0 HP is between 573-1257/second depending on the amount of targets hit. (Using only EtD, without taking into account other sources of torment you are applying.)

Also the trait mentioned above is another source of Burning app.

@"Pterikdactyl.7630" said:A realistic change I want for this skill is for it to become instant cast. This would increase the value in traits like Demonic Defiance, Diabolic Inferno, and Charged Mists, and would add more fluidity to Mallyx's playstyle.

I disagree here. It already got it cast time decreased and for me it feels awful. It looks very rushed. Before, there was the kind of momentum when using this skill. And it was worth it. Big cast time, cool animation for copying / transfering conditions is a great deal.

Mallyx was a PvP legend and then it got updated to that thing with 40% PvE usage - Torment Spam and 60% of the PvP kit that is useless because it lacks 40% of its kit.It's bad because Mallyx was designed to be the ultimate condition manager. Now, its kit is messed up because it was half-reworked.

Displace your enemies.Rip boons from your foes and add Confusion.Transfer conditions from your allies to yourself.Transfer / copy conditions you have onto your enemies.Heal more for every condition you have on yourself.Gain Resistance on Demon skills.Just control the fight - not a huge damage but a 100% fun and viablity.

Now, we have 2 skills; Unyielding Anguish and Embrace the Darkness, that work in PvE. Rest is worthless.And we have 3 skills that were designed for PvP.

@"WraithOfStealth.1624" said:The old Mallyx design was pretty cool, especially the copy on EtD. Regrettably it's not as interesting as it was originally, but here's a reason to use EtD in WvW (And i guess open world PvE) currently;

402hp/s which require entire and not so good traitline since they butchered it (0 dmg in pve, useless in pvp) for 1 trait and dont even get me started on the dwarf battle trait trait change..No skill should be balanced around a item either, even less so to a highly situational environment like "vs5 targets" or wvw in general for that matter. Not like it matters cause even with so capped 1200hp/s you have no boons on your own in Mallyx including stab and prot which means youll die in a matter of 2seconds in real settings. Running at the frontline as Mallyx rev is a death sentence unless you have someone peel for you.

If you can have pulsing quickness in reaper etc i literally see no issue with adding pulsing resistance to Mallyx elite with all the boonhate and the fact that you cant cover it with other boons on your own.

The heal (countered by poison) and PA should also be looked at

@Scoobaniec.9561 said:

@"WraithOfStealth.1624" said:The old Mallyx design was pretty cool, especially the copy on EtD. Regrettably it's not as interesting as it was originally, but here's a reason to use EtD in WvW (And i guess open world PvE) currently;

Total combined healing at 0 HP is between 573-1257/second depending on the amount of targets hit.
(Using only EtD, without taking into account other sources of torment you are applying.)

402hp/s which require entire and not so good traitline since they butchered it (0 dmg in pve, useless in pvp) for 1 trait and dont even get me started on the dwarf battle trait trait change..No skill should be balanced around a item either, even less so to a highly situational environment like "vs5 targets" or wvw in general for that matter. Not like it matters cause even with so capped 1200hp/s you have no boons on your own in Mallyx including stab and prot which means youll die in a matter of 2seconds in real settings. Running at the frontline as Mallyx rev is a death sentence unless you have someone peel for you.

If you can have pulsing quickness in reaper etc i literally see no issue with adding pulsing resistance to Mallyx elite with all the boonhate and the fact that you cant cover it with other boons on your own.

Hm, what if Resistance from Demonic Defiance applied immediately when you start casting Demon skills? So heal would be safe of Poison and Maniacal Persistance would hit immediately when you use skill, not after.

Making Empowering Misery ignore Poison would be nice. But yeah, I'm against the booncreep and stuff so it should all be looked at.

^Worked this way before, and could be abused to gain resistance by wep stow. + as of right now you still have to train into it or use PA before to mitigate poison. LolPulsing resistance should have been part of this skill/trait from the start tbh, even more so given the fact it originally costed -8 to upkeep it

@Scoobaniec.9561 said:^Worked this way before, and could be abused to gain resistance by wep stow. + as of right now you still have to train into it or use PA before to mitigate poison. LolPulsing resistance should have been part of this skill/trait from the start tbh, even more so given the fact it originally costed -8 to upkeep it

Ah, get it. Well, we can always make some posts with suggestions for Mallyx and Jalis as these are the least competitive legends Revenant has. Even Kalla provides a good chunk of AoE support and bunkering with Celestial build.

But yeah, EtB should have effects that would make a deal for Revenants, so the opponents can think twice before engaging melee. I'd be cool with increased upkeep cost as long as this skill does something. Mallyx is still a PvP-designed legend reworked to fill damage in PvE. I hope this will get changed.

@"Scoobaniec.9561" said:402hp/s which require entire and not so good traitline since they butchered it (0 dmg in pve, useless in pvp) for 1 trait and dont even get me started on the dwarf battle trait trait change..No skill should be balanced around a item either, even less so to a highly situational environment like "vs5 targets" or wvw in general for that matter. Not like it matters cause even with so capped 1200hp/s you have no boons on your own in Mallyx including stab and prot which means youll die in a matter of 2seconds in real settings. Running at the frontline as Mallyx rev is a death sentence unless you have someone peel for you.

Mabey i should've been more specific and said it's effective for small scale/solo WvW roaming. (For me at least.) You're not supposed to facetank a zerg on any Revenant build. Retribution is actually a strong traitline IMO. Increased endurance regen, stab on evade. A nice projectile shield + weakness pulse on heal trait. Not sure what you dislike about Dwarven Battle Training, 0 ICD weakness spam on CC seems insanely good to me.

I didn't mention anything about balance by the way. Just provided an example of how it can be used effectively since you saw no point in using it.

@DonArkanio.6419 said:

@Scoobaniec.9561 said:^Worked this way before, and could be abused to gain resistance by wep stow. + as of right now you still have to train into it or use PA before to mitigate poison. LolPulsing resistance should have been part of this skill/trait from the start tbh, even more so given the fact it originally costed -8 to upkeep it

Ah, get it. Well, we can always make some posts with suggestions for Mallyx and Jalis as these are the least competitive legends Revenant has. Even Kalla provides a good chunk of AoE support and bunkering with Celestial build.

But yeah, EtB should have effects that would make a deal for Revenants, so the opponents can think twice before engaging melee. I'd be cool with increased upkeep cost as long as this skill does something. Mallyx is still a PvP-designed legend reworked to fill damage in PvE. I hope this will get changed.

Id say Jalis is pretty close to being a viable. I had suggestions for it long ago like adding block to the heal like shelter, change Inspiring to.. well they basically made it as underwater version so i have no idea why they havent changed it on a land+make it a stunbreak. Up the damage reduction on hammers to 33% and as for the elite.. well its a mes that should probably be changed to work like Endure Pain.. no idea honestly on that one. The taunt is a mess as well that can be reflected back into you to this day for some reason on top of 15cd lol. Rest is down to traits

@WraithOfStealth.1624 said:

@Scoobaniec.9561 said:402hp/s which require entire and not so good traitline since they butchered it (0 dmg in pve, useless in pvp) for 1 trait and dont even get me started on the dwarf battle trait trait change..No skill should be balanced around a item either, even less so to a highly situational environment like "vs5 targets" or wvw in general for that matter. Not like it matters cause even with so capped 1200hp/s you have no boons on your own in Mallyx including stab and prot which means youll die in a matter of 2seconds in real settings. Running at the frontline as Mallyx rev is a death sentence unless you have someone peel for you.

Mabey i should've been more specific and said it's effective for small scale/solo WvW roaming. (For me at least.) You're not supposed to facetank a zerg on any Revenant build. Retribution is actually a strong traitline IMO. Increased endurance regen, stab on evade. A nice projectile shield + weakness pulse on heal trait. Not sure what you dislike about Dwarven Battle Training, 0 ICD weakness spam on CC seems insanely good to me.

I didn't mention anything about balance by the way. Just provided an example of how it can be used effectively since you saw no point in using it.

25% endurance regen which is nothing basically. If it was removed/bugged you wouldnt even notice. Stab on evade is useless and can be triggered by using.. UA for example. Whats the point of the stab if i already dodged the stun and in case if i didnt.. how the stab on evade has any use for me? Projectile shield may be the olny good trait here with regen on upkeeps. Everything else can be deleted, thats how horrible the traitline is. No reason to pick it over Devo/Corr/Invo or Herald. You olny run it if you are masochist like me and want to play core rev bc the Ventari line is in even worse position and not worth slotting at all.

And again, you cant class balance anything with a specific rune and even specific gamemode where everyone zerg or for some extreme situations bc thats not how it supposed to work. That rune is even completely different in spvp. The fact alone that you have to force some specific rune into your build for ONE skill that is "elite" is already wrong on so many levels.

Imagine being forced to slot an entire useless traitline with specific rune limited olny to wvw/pve to make Chaotic Release or Jade Winds be even worthy of keybindinghttp://i.imgur.com/ZUeCbT5.gif

@"Scoobaniec.9561" said:25% endurance regen which is nothing basically. If it was removed/bugged you wouldnt even notice. Stab on evade is useless and can be triggered by using.. UA for example. Whats the point of the stab if i already dodged the stun and in case if i didnt.. how the stab on evade has any use for me? Projectile shield may be the olny good trait here with regen on upkeeps. Everything else can be deleted, thats how horrible the traitline is. No reason to pick it over Devo/Corr/Invo or Herald. You olny run it if you are masochist like me and want to play core rev bc the Ventari line is in even worse position and not worth slotting at all.

And again, you cant class balance anything with a specific rune and even specific gamemode where everyone zerg or for some extreme situations bc thats not how it supposed to work. That rune is even completely different in spvp. The fact alone that you have to force some specific rune into your build for ONE skill that is "elite" is already wrong on so many levels.

Imagine being forced to slot an entire useless traitline with specific rune limited olny to wvw/pve to make Chaotic Release or Jade Winds be even worthy of keybinding

It's true that the 25% endurance regen isn't as impressive as other similar traits, i would even say it doesn't really belong on retribution as the "tank" traitline. It has its uses alongside Shiro endurance regen and energy sigils though. I don't think a "free" stab application is useless, especially with the rampant amount of CC in the game currently. If you dodged one CC you'll likely be eating the next one within 4 seconds, especially in small scale.

Retribution does indeed work best on core rev, which i play myself. Especially on tankier condition builds it provides great sustain through as mentioned; a projectile shield, passive regen (depending on upkeep) up to 1.5x stronger baseline than Healing Signet on warrior, plentiful weakness application (AoE btw) which lowers enemy damage output and endurance regen. Arguably the strongest utility condition alongside chill. Still don't understand why you say the traitline is useless while ignoring Dwarven Battle Stance.

As for why you would slot it, if you're playing a condition build this is pretty much a no-brainer. Invocation+Corruption is baseline, you either add Herald or Retribution depending on preferences. I personally believe Core condition is superior to herald, thus i slot Ret for easy faceroll access to weakness and increased sustain. That said, i also know some Heralds who play Ret/Invo/Herald instead of devastation.

Again, never mentioned balance. I believe Embrace the Darkness and Steadfast Rejuvenation are useful even without tormenting runes, nobody is forcing you to use the runes. (They don't exist in PvP hence why i didn't mention that gamemode to begin with.) I will say that it increases the effectiveness of EtD by at least 2-fold if you choose to use the trait/gear mentioned.

If i were to comment on balance for EtD specifically, i think baseline resistance pulsing would be too strong. If it requires Demonic Defiance that would be a different story. It would likely stay at the same numbers, 2s duration on 5s CD. As a higher frequency would leave it (near) impossible to corrupt reliably (Why they added the CD) and Mallyx would be immune to conditions, which is not fun to play against. (As someone who plays condi rev) I'd agree with the suggestion that DD should work like Diabolic Inferno, and keep triggering while EtD is active. I'm also in favor of removing cast time, as it just doesn't feel right on an upkeep skill. While the animation is cool to look at when standing still, it's pointless during combat. Just have the effect cover the character in the "Mallyx Skin" using some smoke-y transition animation.

That said, if they replaced torment application with copy conditions i would still use it. As well as SR trait and torment runes. Likely the upkeep would go up as well so i'd get more sustain out of SR too! bonus! :-)

https://i.imgur.com/hWfismm.gifv

Archived