A tip for skin collectors.

Biff.5312

Just recently I decided to buy all the Crimson Lion weapon skins that I didn't already have. I like the skins, and noticed that completing the set comes with a reward of 7 black lion tickets for other skins.At an average of about 10-12 g each, the set cost maybe 150 g to complete (there are 16 items and I already had a couple). With 7 tickets, I then bought 2 Alchemist Greatsword skins (currently the priciest available skins) and one Orchestral skin just for me. I sold the two Alchemist skins for 94 g each (less TP fee). Moral of the story - you can get maybe a dozen of the skins priced lowest in the TP plus a wad of gold at NO NET COST. You just need the money to make the initial purchases.You might want to periodically check and see if you're near completing any of the cheaper sets to get those tickets. Even if I'd had to buy the whole set of Crimson Lion skins I would probably have ended up close to breaking even, and would have 17 skins to show for it.

I did this again last night - bought up the Cavalier set for 120 g, got the 7 tickets for achieving completion of the collection. I used 6 tickets to buy 2 more Alchemist Greatsword skins, and sold them for 102 g each. I used the remaining ticket to buy myself an Axe skin. So I got another 17 skins plus about a 60 g profit.

@Tman.6349 said:Curious how much gold you've made off this post so far? ;)

None, cause what hes saying is legit.Those that are following tp and blc skins are doing this for last 1-2 years.Note. I do dislike this constantly being shared on reddit/offical forums though, it keep making the ticket prices drop and increasing the prices on rotation skins.

@Glider.5792 said:

None, cause what hes saying is legit.Those that are following tp and blc skins are doing this for last 1-2 years.Note. I do dislike this constantly being shared on reddit/offical forums though, it keep making the ticket prices drop and increasing the prices on rotation skins.

I don't think that many people read these. Anyway it seems clear that the prices are a little off, or this wouldn't be possible. Whenever a set of skins is current in the BLC and a lot of them are being added to the TP, I think the prices will drop regardless. Nobody wants Cavalier skins lol. SImilarly I think the high-demand items, especially when they are out of rotation, will rise in price regardless. The number of people playing this angle is probably too small to have a significant impact.

Anyway - I promise I won't mention it again.

@Biff.5312 said:

I don't think that many people read these. Anyway it seems clear that the prices are a little off, or this wouldn't be possible. Whenever a set of skins is current in the BLC and a lot of them are being added to the TP, I think the prices will drop regardless. Nobody wants Cavalier skins lol. SImilarly I think the high-demand items, especially when they are out of rotation, will rise in price regardless. The number of people playing this angle is probably too small to have a significant impact.

To me it doesnt matter too much anyway, im missing like... 8 skin collection left i think (mainly realy expensive ones). But sharing stuff like this might end up ruining your own profit in the future.

@Glider.5792 said:

To me it doesnt matter too much anyway, im missing like... 8 skin collection left i think (mainly realy expensive ones). But sharing stuff like this might end up ruining your own profit in the future.

Nah. I'm not sweating it. There could be a spike if someone reads this and buys up all the cheap stuff to mark it up, but that person would end up being burned, as if it ceases to be profitable, there would also cease to be any reason to collect those skins. Either way, I hope it benefits a few people.

@Glider.5792 said:

I think the ~300 gold up front price acts as enough of a barrier that it really doesn't influence the markets and overall strategy that much if it is shared.

2x Alchemist weapons and one orchestral weapon should cost 8 tickets, not 7. I would have to pay 234 gold for the entire Crimson lion set, if I ordered them: higher if I paid the prices people ask for them. It seems the highest prices paid for Skins that you can buy for 3 tickets in the Vault are indeed around 90-100 gold.(seeing one War Gods mace ordered for 104 gold). I could sell 2 of those for around 171 gold after taxes(took 2x95 gold). I would end up with 16 skins(which is nice!), 1 left over ticket and a net loss of around 53 gold.

It is still an interesting proposition, especially if you already have a few of the more expensive skins of a set, but these are the real numbers. I think, correct, me if I am wrong. :)

NB: You could try to sell your 2 expensive skins with an asking price but that is pretty risky: I do not think these skins sell hard and before you know it, you dropped down the list and can wait for your money forever. The difference between Asked and Offered isn't that huge anyway for most skins.

NB 2 I am thinking of doing it, since I kinda like those Crimson skins. :)

@Tyncale.1629 said:2x Alchemist weapons and one orchestral weapon should cost 8 tickets, not 7. I would have to pay 234 gold for the entire Crimson lion set, if I ordered them: higher if I paid the prices people ask for them. It seems the highest prices paid for Skins that you can buy for 3 tickets in the Vault are indeed around 90-100 gold.(seeing one War Gods mace ordered for 104 gold). I could sell 2 of those for around 171 gold after taxes(took 2x95 gold). I would end up with 16 skins(which is nice!), 1 left over ticket and a net loss of around 53 gold.

It is still an interesting proposition, especially if you already have a few of the more expensive skins of a set, but these are the real numbers. I think, correct, me if I am wrong. :)

NB: You could try to sell your 2 expensive skins with an asking price but that is pretty risky: I do not think these skins sell hard and before you know it, you dropped down the list and can wait for your money forever. The difference between Asked and Offered isn't that huge anyway for most skins.

NB 2 I am thinking of doing it, since I kinda like those Crimson skins. :)

I'm not making up my numbers. Alchemist skins are 3 tickets. Orchestral are 1.

The Crimson Lion set were on the TP when I did this for between 8 and 30 g each with an average of about 12 g. I needed I think 12 to complete my set, but a whole set would be let's say 200 g. So if you only sold the Alchemist skins as i did yes you'd lose about 20 g (well, you'd pay that much for 17 skins, rather).

The Cavalier set I did having none previously - that cost total 120 g and I sold the Alchemy skins for 204 g (180 or so after TP fee).

I'm not saying that prices never change or that any particular set is the current cheapest to buy - only that this is something to consider and figure out what to buy at the time you do it.

I sold all skins at the buyers existing bid price. I bought all skins by bidding just above the current buyer's bid.

All told, I profited about 89-90 g and got 34 skins. So whatever the numbers may be now, the ones I stated were correct.

I checked on the wiki and I checked in-game just now: I can only find Orchestral weapons for 2 tickets each. I checked what a whole set of Crimsons would cost this afternoon and that was 234 gold. Not the same as "let us say 200 gold" but I agree that prices vary over time. No need to be so defensive, I was glad you posted this, I had not considered this yet since I was not very interested in skins before. I am more now so even at a loss of gold I am contemplating this. So thanks. :)It is also true that that one spare ticket has a value of yet another 40-45 gold(after tax) if you manage to get a second one, so with some smart tp-work there might indeed even be net gold in this. Will definately give this a try.

I wish I was better at fashion wars.

I actually really liked the crimson lion skins when they came out and didn't get them because I couldn't afford them, then 1-2 years ago saw they were ridiculously cheap (comparatively) and bought the set all excited.But even with all that I still haven't used them on a character because I couldn't find a matching armour theme I liked on any of my characters.I've done this a couple of times now (I just can't resist deals!) and keep getting annoyed at myself when I don't use the skins, but I think pokemon has just been too much of a defining influence on my life for me to be able to stop.

@"Tyncale.1629" said:I checked on the wiki and I checked in-game just now: I can only find Orchestral weapons for 2 tickets each. I checked what a whole set of Crimsons would cost this afternoon and that was 234 gold. Not the same as "let us say 200 gold" but I agree that prices vary over time. No need to be so defensive, I was glad you posted this, I had not considered this yet since I was not very interested in skins before. I am more now so even at a loss of gold I am contemplating this. So thanks. :)

I didn't buy it today. When I bought it, it would have cost you about 200g to get the whole set. I'm not being 'so defensive', I'm explaining why you might think the prices are not what I said without it being necessary for me to be lying about it (when you say 'the real prices' you are implying that I'm posting false ones). If I'm mistaken about the tickets for orchestral then I guess I must have used a ticket already banked without knowing it. Nevertheless, there are single ticket skins so the point is still the same.

Anyway enjoy your skins - even if you wind up down 30 g you'll still receive more than enough skins to be worth it.

I was just joking, and was implying he had invested into Crimson Lion skins (ad they were recent drops and tanked even further--b/c everyone with spare gold has them already). It was a joke. Surely he doesn't need a defender. But people that really follow the TP have been doing this for over 3 years (or buying up stacks of chrono runes at 2g with only 283 listed or w/e they do). I think I just have 7 sets to finish now. This is definitely a good trick. I even used to buy entire sets for my guildies with the agreement that I get an equal (or better let's be honest) value from their free tickets. They'd get a full set and 1 or 2 new skins for me footing the upfront cost. Just an idea. Good luck ;)

As a skin collector, thanks for sharing this tip. I don't really have the time to follow the TP closely, and seeing as how you can only pull off this trick once per new set per account, I don't think we're in any imminent danger of crashing the market since people who collect skins just for the sake of having them aren't THAT common.

Archived