so... gyros got scrapped. (pvp)

Stand The Wall.6987

I love them, though I had to change playstyle. By rotating active gyros I can get pretty much permanent superspeed, that works really fine with me.

Maybe not as strong as they were when they could linger around you for 15 seconds, but definitely an improvement for competitive modes where they used to die too fast.

Right now i'm not finding them very useful in WvW (Minstrel healer build). Bulwark Gyro's barrier scaling isn't that good overall, its amount isn't that high, and the duration is rather low. Purge Gyro condition cleansing isn't that good - you can heal the same amount of conditions with fumigate, except that it comes with a lower cooldown, and other skills along with it; along with a better toolbelt, too. Medic Gyro just cannot compete with Med Kit - it heals allies for 5s? pretty effect, but with the Med Kit i heal them all the time (and i get a water field from that kit as well, if needed, along with everything else it offers). Blast Gyro does give some good amount of might...but that's it. And it's something other classes already provide upon, anyway. The explosion may be nice as an unblockable CC, but 3 seconds of delay make it difficult to work with it.Sneak Gyro isn't bad either, but as an elite...it's lackluster. 5 pulses of 3s stealth for 5 people and a 5s smoke field for a 45s cooldown. Even the old sneak gyro had a better uptime, in that regard, and with an higher radius. I would rather keep Supply Crate slotted then - for the toolbelt, though.

To be blunt, they're really weak utilities. Simple effects with some field added as padding, and with low durations to boot. Sure, when traited they can be a good source of super speed...but we can't stack super speed duration, and with those low gyro durations we can't afford to use them for on-demand super speed, so there isn't much of a point about it. Med Kit will still be more useful of Medic Gyro, and Super Elixir can't be compared with Purge Gyro, despite them occupying the same utility slot. I will keep using Bulwark Gyro for the toolbelt - same as i did before, except that now the main skill can also seriously injure myself instead of being an added bonus. But that's it.

Pro tip: we weren't lacking in combo fields even before. Med Kit provides a water field as well. Elixir Gun gives a light field as well (longer, and with added healing, and the whole kit gives more condition cleanses than the gyro either way). Bomb kit even gives multiple fields (and even a blast finisher to use them with).Besides, fields are only useful as long as you have got finishers to use with, they don't do anything by themselves. Having too many fields is meaningless.That said, good luck in doing those combo in the middle of a WvW battle. It's not like we can set a priority on our fields or per field type...in that regard, finishers sure could use some work.

Edit: "better than before" is not a great scale for comparison. They were totally useless before, except for Bulwark's toolbelt, and no one cared about them. It's not like they could end up worse - if they're still bad, people will just keep ignoring them.

I agree with the high comment. I main engineer as well (scrapper to be precise) and these gyro reworks are nothing but straight buffs and better in every way.

Sneak Gyro will always work now, opponent can't see it, you can combo finisher it for more stealth and superspeed (5s!!!) if traited.

Bulwark Gyro is the best gyro in the scrapper arsenal now, In case you didn't know, old bulwark gyro was multiplicative and what that basically means is that with protection on t would be granting like 9% dmg reduction at best, as long as it didn't instantly die. The old bulwark was complete trash. I still need to test the new gyro rework but if this picture tells me anything it's that it reduces a hell of a lot of damage from allies. (I used it with no prot or defensive abilities active so I deserved to die) Traited and hammer leap in bulwark gives 10s superspeed chained. Crazy good. If you think 10k barrier is bad... just... /jackiechanwut

https://imgur.com/Fh7PvZW

Purge Gyro is basically the same as before since the light field exists but it's actually reliable and works for AOE now. (IT DIDN'T BEFOREBlast Gyro is now the strongest? AOE launch in the entire game I believe. It's a tad underwhelming but because of the superspeed it's ok.Shredder Gyro. ehhhh. Don't care much.Medic Gyro is now basically on par with healing turret but is superior in zerg fights because the turret gets blown up instantly from AOE.

Power scrapper is a thing that exists and is very good. Of course med kit is better on minstrels.

@Stand The Wall.6987 said:bulwark barrier looks cool, the damage absorb from allies does not (in wvw). purge gyro is a lot weaker. purge carried scrapper hard.

Purge gyro used to remove 1 condition from 1 player, not aoe as you would think, every 2s.

New purge gyro removes 1 condition per second on 5 players for 5s. That is better in literally every way

@RisenHowl.2419 said:

@Stand The Wall.6987 said:bulwark barrier looks cool, the damage absorb from allies does not (in wvw). purge gyro is
a lot
weaker. purge carried scrapper hard.

Purge gyro used to remove 1 condition from 1 player, not aoe as you would think, every 2s.

New purge gyro removes 1 condition per second on 5 players for 5s. That is better in literally every way

hmm didn't know that about the aoe. find it hard to believe actually. used it plenty in pvp and always noticed it cleansing condis on multiple people. still its way worse for solo play, especially trying to bunker a point in pvp. the old version removed twice as many condis, but more importantly, it did it over time so it acted as this extremely strong counter to condi. maybe too strong, but either way its definitely weaker.

@DanAlcedo.3281 said:Step 1) Build a Mediscrapper like normal.

Step 2) Slap the purge gyro on it + maybe flamethrower for a 6 sec cd blast.

Good job! You now play the new buffed medi scrapper.

lol. good job you've never played engi.

@RisenHowl.2419 said:

@Stand The Wall.6987 said:bulwark barrier looks cool, the damage absorb from allies does not (in wvw). purge gyro is
a lot

New purge gyro removes 1 condition per second on 5 players for 5s. That is better in literally every wayIndeed its metric ton better now. Until I also realized how purge worked I thought it was fine, but in reality it was utter crap.

I didnt use the shredder or blast, but the other gyros... top notch. Todays WvW is hard to truly base something on (so many PvErs) but once the mount craze dies down, i think the gyro engie will be able to compete much better and truly be usefull for smallscale support.

What disappointed me was the field on heal gyro not being water, but then again going on cd as you pop it... that a significant cd buff.

@Stand The Wall.6987 said:bulwark barrier looks cool, the damage absorb from allies does not (in wvw). purge gyro is a lot weaker. purge carried scrapper hard.

Purge Gyro is weaker? Now it reliably removes 5 conditions from you and allies around. Previous version would randomly pick an ally, chase them around and remove 2 conditions, getting destroyed in the process from random AoEs. And it's no cast-time too. How is that weaker?!

@Yannir.4132 said:

@Dawdler.8521 said:What disappointed me was the field on heal gyro not being water, but then again going on cd as you pop it... that a significant cd buff.

It actually is a Water field. The tooltip is wrong. Try Blasting it and it gives you AoE healing.

Can confirm, it's a spelling error.

@Dawdler.8521 said:I didnt use the shredder or blast, but the other gyros... top notch. Todays WvW is hard to truly base something on (so many PvErs) but once the mount craze dies down, i think the gyro engie will be able to compete much better and truly be usefull for smallscale support.

Blast Gyro is unblockable 600-units launch and blast finisher. Speaks for itself.

@Stand The Wall.6987 said:

a lot

hmm didn't know that about the aoe. find it hard to believe actually. used it plenty in pvp and always noticed it cleansing condis on multiple people. still its way worse for solo play, especially trying to bunker a point in pvp. the old version removed twice as many condis, but more importantly, it did it over time so it acted as this extremely strong counter to condi. maybe too strong, but either way its definitely weaker.

@DanAlcedo.3281 said:Step 1) Build a Mediscrapper like normal.

Step 2) Slap the purge gyro on it + maybe flamethrower for a 6 sec cd blast.

Good job! You now play the new buffed medi scrapper.

lol. good job you've never played engi.

Medi Scrapper was my favorite build to run in WvW before they deleted it last balance patch.

But i seriously don’t know what wrong with what i said.

With this balance patch, you don’t have to change gear.Only one trait change from before.

And at max 2 utility changes.

(And why did your post not show up for me?)

@RisenHowl.2419 said:

a lot

Not to mention, the purge gyro used to have to literally run between different players to "boop" them and remove a condition. It was the worst kind of AI I've ever seen. This new version is way more reliable.

@guildabd.6529 said:I don't think bulwark gyro damage redirect works. I barely take any damage in wvwOr is it that low?

It's because it puts a fuckton of barrier on you -- that barrier eats most of the redirected damage, and I suspect the amount of redirected damage to be around 20-30%.

@Stand The Wall.6987 said:bah, I played scrap a bit more and im fine with the changes. not with blast gyro tho.

Before the changes, the blast gyro was completely unreliable. It couldn't handle weird aspects of terrain, and particularly struggled with stairs (for some reason). It often would explode long before it reached the target. Now it's a reliable blast localized on the player -- in other words, it's a better version of the Big ol' Bomb.

Archived