mirage vs chrono

PierPiero.9142

In my opinion (if we assume condi only variants)Chrono is better for 1v1, 1vX, due to movement speed, F5, gravity well, crowd control due to shield, double moa and healing, and due to more consistent damage in prolonged fight.Chrono is worse at spike damage, movement, clone generation and disengage ability.

Mirage is better at +1, gank, 1v1 versus certain classes, better spike condi damage, clone generation, active damage mitigation.Mirage is worse at prolonged fights, survivability, untilities versality, clunky mechanic overall, lack of ethereal fields to combo with jaunt, lack of movement speed, somewhat pointless talents and somewhat being effective in 1 and a half traitlines only.

Both better in output of damage in comparsion to standard mesmer, survivabiltiy. Both worse at compability with other trait lines.

Chrono hands down for its use in multiple game modes and the value it brings. Chrono might be the most powerful elite in the game at the moment from a power increase to base class and overall usefullness/viability perspective (if we omit certain disparities with new PoF elites).

Mirage is very similar to thief and adds a thieflike playstyle/focus to mesmer. As such it's strong in spvp (as +1) and small scale or 1v1 wvw. In any other game mode (fractals, raids, large scale wvw) chrono beats mirage while also having a strong 1v1 wvw build.

I'm going to have to agree that despite my efforts in trying to make a suitable build, chrono is superior in 1vx and for solo roaming in general, in terms of survival, sustain and disengage (yes mirage has more ports but chrono roaming builds generally use more stealth which is more useful than porting all over the place when you are outnumbered).

I'm still vastly preferring mirage for open world pve though, and I will persevere to find a suitable build for pvp.

But as most of the time I run solo in wvw, I'm going to use Chrono for that as I feel safer playing it at the moment.

Mirage is somewhat fun in pvp, and axe is a lovely weapon, but that's it. I find chrono superior to it in pve and maybe in wvw due to movement speed loss on mirage.Mirage has a nice concept, but really poor execution. I love its theme and think it could be extremely fun, but it has too many contradictory mechanics (it's actually base mesmer's problem, but chrono bandaids it a little while mirage doesn't do anything with it. I hoped they would change shatters for mirage, but they didn't.) and some of its features are plain bad (ambushes and mirrors).It's a shame because I really want to have fun with Mirage, but at the end of a day I find it far worse than chrono. It kinda feels like base mesmer's traitline that changes your dodge tbh, not like an elite spec. :anguished:Mirage needs love (ideally rework). Meh.

in wvw, when ur good at the game, u cant die as mirrage.

I play hybrid mirage, focused on interruptions, so i have some problems vs guards and warriors for sure. Warriors i could handle so far, cause they seem to get squishy after the first 20 seconds at a specific point, but guard so far are my no go.Any other class was handable, i only died if i was too aggro/went yolo.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vhAQNAsfWnELDFMjFpBmpBMMjlXDzMFMDOB+/vBYCENAkTeOA-jlSHQB4UfguU3hRqE0ElfA4QAkr9Hm3JAoOKBD5DAQAHBgAAIAzsMLzZGYmzcmzcmzsvLzZOzZOzZOzZOzZWKgqUWB-w

Thats the build im using right now ; need to say i dont own draining sigil right now sadly, and im not on full infusions + staff is still exotic.

While staff ambush is rather bad , cause it hit 1/10, staff overall is amazing on mirrage with chaos. Sword ambush after heal skill is chaos armor , jaunt can do chaos armor , lots of boons.Interrupting is ur bread and butter with this build. u got chaos storms , f3 and the most important one ; Sword Ambush. Dont underestimate sword ambush.

Severance Sigil rewards u with good damage, if u played well. Nice combos are torch4 , sword 3 , troch 5 , sword ambush for possible interrupt -> F1Try to do ur Shatters and dmg skills, after u interrupted ur enemy for full value.

Draining should be core to this build, sadly im not owning it, but here are the raw facts : Deals arround 1000 damage per interrupt, ignoring armor, and heals for arround 1000 hp on every interrupt , both no cooldown. Interrupt 3 ppl = get 3k HP, too sick. Currently i get at least 2 interrupts in 10 seconds in a 1v1 situation ( might get higher, might get lower, its average), with interruption chains, u can get up to 5 or even more interrupts in 10 seconds.

Illusionary ambush gives ur clones infinite horizon for the next ambush ; use this with sword ambush especially, for higher chance of interrupting.

With this set ur able to put out an enormous ammount of conditions even when holding sword, due to riddle of Sand and traited Shatters + interrupting. Chaotic interruption is awesome, since u can generate a lot of might while holding down ur enemy at place. Beautifull cover conditions + more boons.

While the best scenario is probably roamin +1, u can go crazy on solo, if u pay attention to everything arround you. U got the abilty to almost hunt every class down and kill them. Again , be carefull against guardians and warrios. Kite Scourches and dive in with illusionary and sowrd + f4, do dodge shade effetcs. Scourges solo can easily be interrupted and should get down easy. Holosmith was a fun dueling too, i think it lasted 10 minutes, until i got ganked by a thief i didnt saw, so he ended the duel.Some holosmiths got deleted, some one shoted me cause i wasnt looking. Think it's more a skill mathup. U need to caught thiefs at specific moments, burst , and if they're still alive chase carefully, hunting them down. Predicting stealth attacks and movement is a big thing here, but it always was .

That's actually an awesome idea - never considered using CI with sword ambush! :open_mouth:

Thanks FaboBabo - that looks perfect for me.

I mean I've already been using chaos with staff but not with sword or CI and the synergy with CI is too good to pass up, so thanks for sharing.

Good PvP players will utilize both Chrono and Mirage depending on their team comp vs the opposing team comp. Chrono is better if your enemy has more than 1 s/d Thief , you know that they have a Reaper, or your team needs someone that can hold a point (usually if your team's ele is a Weaver over Tempest or you have no Druid). Chrono is also much better against Spellbreakers unless you run Domi for boon ripping, then Mirage just rips them to shreds.

In every other scenario, especially if you're the only class with mobility on your comp, Mirage wins hands down. Good players don't get hit with Moa anymore unless you are +1'ing them (and most good players know that Moa doesn't interrupt a stomp or rez) so Jaunt is very useful. You're faster than most Thief builds and you completely shut down Weavers. You also have a much better matchup against the common builds that made Chrono non-viable in Plat tiers such as DH, Scrapper, and Druid (luckily I'm seeing less Scrappers anyway).

Basically just pick which build to run based on what you need to do for your comp: roaming, decapping, and +1 goes to Mirage. Teamfights and support goes to Chrono.

@Curunen.8729 said:^If anything that just affirms how important build templates are in general.

Now that we have 2 distinct elite specs I really hope Anet give the time to create a solid build template system.

Well u dont need more then 1 minute to change from mirrage to chrono tbh. While i' d still like the idea , we can easy do it without

WvW and power PoV

Roaming

Here I find mirage superior. The Sword ambush leap alone is amazing for mobility and damage. I feel like a thief on mirage and I am confidently going full zerker. I can get in and out of fights super easily. Only a few thieves so far managed to catch me... when I needed to run. And, most important for me, I don't need to rely on Inspiration to deal with conditions.

Zerging

Chrono is better here. Gravity Well, Tides of Time and such are still super strong and nothing Mirage has can compensate for that imho. Mirage has some nice and easy dmg with GS ambush, but it doesn't make up for the chrono's chronomancy when dealing with multiple ppl, who behave like npcs (the common pug zergling) xD

@FaboBabo.3581 said:

@Curunen.8729 said:^If anything that just affirms how important build templates are in general.

Now that we have 2 distinct elite specs I really hope Anet give the time to create a solid build template system.

Well u dont need more then 1 minute to change from mirrage to chrono tbh. While i' d still like the idea , we can easy do it without

It takes longer than a minute if you're using legendary gear due to stat + rune swapping.

I have found a faster way of applying runes, but it's good to account for the average player.

Yes, you can use ArcDPS to formulate build templates, but if anything goes wrong, your gear may get destroyed.Sadly, because Arc has build templates, there's even less reason for devs to focus on it atm.

@FaboBabo.3581 said:

Personally I also have different keybinds between chrono and mirage so it's not as easy as changing traits/skills - I've also got to rebind keys.

@Cyninja.2954 said:Chrono hands down for its use in multiple game modes and the value it brings. Chrono might be the most powerful elite in the game at the moment from a power increase to base class and overall usefullness/viability perspective (if we omit certain disparities with new PoF elites).

Mirage is very similar to thief and adds a thieflike playstyle/focus to mesmer. As such it's strong in spvp (as +1) and small scale or 1v1 wvw. In any other game mode (fractals, raids, large scale wvw) chrono beats mirage while also having a strong 1v1 wvw build.

That might be because the base class of mesmer is so underpowered compared to the other core classes to begin with with the possible exception of necro.

@Esplen.3940 said:

@FaboBabo.3581 said:

It takes longer than a minute if you're using legendary gear due to stat + rune swapping.

I have found a faster way of applying runes, but it's good to account for the average player.

Yes, you can use ArcDPS to formulate build templates, but if anything goes wrong, your gear may get destroyed.Sadly, because Arc has build templates, there's even less reason for devs to focus on it atm.

we were talkin about pvp mate

Mirage feels a lot like a thief (that was the theme that they were for after all ), and in pvp I play around with a condition build and can be extremely fun when you stack a lot of confusion in some players, overall is a play style that I like. However, I still prefer Chrono for almost any PvE content including open world, but this is just a matter of preference.

Archived