That Dwayna-themed longbow..

With the recent update we're treated to a new list of Black Lion weapons. They are very pretty and seemed to be themed after the Human Gods..and many of them fit with skillsets offered by the various professions that would also loosely fit into those same themes.

However, I find the longbow particularly confusing, because it seems to be Dwayna-themed, even though there isn't a single support, healing, or air-related skill on longbows in the game. At most, you could argue that the Ranger's "wind" abilities are related, but its a stretch. In fact, the weapon is more often than not associated with burning and destruction (through Warrior/Berserker and Dragonhunter professions), and mass crippling opponents armies.

It kind of makes sense when you have entire weaponsets dedicated to one theme, but a specific weapon that is completely alien is confusing. My question is: Are these decisions made randomly, or do the BLTC content team just not pay attention to lore ?

(This is not a big deal, I'm just posting my own thoughts.)

I'm not sure there are any unspoken rules about what weapons can be themed after a given Tyrian god.We have an entire Balthazar's weapon skin set. I would think the introduction of that sort of sets the standard as to whether or not a skin collection can be themed that way.

I think it's just meant to be a design choice. A bow provides the best way to work in wings like Dwayna's, which are her "key features" if you will: her feathers and wings. If you look closely at the bow, the stave is carved with feathered wings.Incidentally, these are themed on the gods. Specifically, "made from ruined shrines of the Six Gods" or something along those lines. It was in the release post, under the images.

Very lovely weapons, ANET, thank you! Easily my second favorite, behind Equinox. (What can I say, I'm a space nut.)

Even when GW1 was first released and the 6 professions were officially related to the 5 gods (this was in the time between Abaddon being stuck down and Kormir taking his place) it was always a bit tenuous. For example elementalists energy storage abilities were apparently associated with Lyssa, even though she's the goddess of water and illusion magic...basically because they had 5 gods and 5 elementalist attributes and wanted to match them up (and they already had Grenth, as the god of ice, covering the water magic ability).

From Nightfall onwards they abandoned the idea of having any direct ties between professions/skills and deities, especially for GW2 where you've got all the other races to consider too.

If there is a connection it's probably because Dwayna is the goddess of air and bows fire airborne projectiles, but it's equally likely the decision was made just because that was the bow design they liked best.

Archived