Just wondering about new players a few months from now — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Just wondering about new players a few months from now

Dashingsteel.3410Dashingsteel.3410 Member ✭✭✭

I think it will be much more difficult for new players to experience wvw down the road. Zergs are not going to accommodate mountless players like they are doing right now. So if you are new in a few months you will be on your own.... one mountless inexperienced player against the hordes of mounted experienced players. I think it could be a very frustrating experience and turn away future wvwers.

I know you can earn the mount in eotm but will anybody be playing eotm in a few months after most people have their mount?

Comments

• Blocki.4931Blocki.4931 Member ✭✭✭✭

Doesn't take long to earn the mount though, so no problem there.

Very passive aggressively chuckling, because I'm totally not mad on the Internet.

• Voltekka.2375Voltekka.2375 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Dashingsteel.3410 said:

@Blocki.4931 said:

Perhaps if commanders grant participation to new players it would be fine. Otherwise they will fall behind the zerg and be to late to get to sentry, camp, most fights... and possibly towers. Mounted roamers will be all too wiling to swoop upon unmounted roamers. I don't know if someone new will be willing to go through 7 or 8 hours of falling behind and being ganked. The speed of the mounts is pretty overwhelming.

What would sharing participation solve, except encourage afking? It takes literally a few hours to get the mount. Thats it. Are pips the issue?

• Dawdler.8521Dawdler.8521 Member ✭✭✭✭

@DaFishBob.6518 said:
    The solution is easy - mount rental in wvw.

Rental cost for the mount is only $30 and you also get a bunch of lesser usefull stuff too, like WvW meta elites if you are the weird type that like that sort of thing.

Dont look a gift Asura in the mouth.
    No seriously, dont. Shark teeth.

• Skotlex.7580Skotlex.7580 Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 6, 2019

@DaFishBob.6518 said:

There might be changes coming to the warclaw for balancing; if speed is reduced, then having a permanent swiftness build will be viable in the meantime.

If not, then yes, maybe a temporary rental could solve the issue somewhat.

• Drecien.4508Drecien.4508 Member ✭✭✭

You can do dailies save the reward potions and use them to power through a reward track. The mounts do not negate the need for other siege to open a keep/tower so there is still time to run there. All classes have some sort of movement ability to help close the gap.

New mount skins?! Anet take my money!

@Dashingsteel.3410 said:

@Voltekka.2375 said:

@Dashingsteel.3410 said:

@Blocki.4931 said:

Perhaps if commanders grant participation to new players it would be fine. Otherwise they will fall behind the zerg and be to late to get to sentry, camp, most fights... and possibly towers. Mounted roamers will be all too wiling to swoop upon unmounted roamers. I don't know if someone new will be willing to go through 7 or 8 hours of falling behind and being ganked. The speed of the mounts is pretty overwhelming.

What would sharing participation solve, except encourage afking? It takes literally a few hours to get the mount. Thats it. Are pips the issue?

How much reward track progress can you make if you can't keep up with the zerg. An inexperienced player trying to roam without a mount is not going to be very productive. I had birthday and xperience booster and was ticking 361 reward track points every cycle and it took around 5 or 6 hours. I doubt someone who can't keep up with the zerg and has to roam without a mount will be ticking those kind of reward track points.

You dont have to follow the zerg. Flip a camp. Kill a hapless enemy that stayed behind. Group up with others. Gee. It really is not rocket science, or even hard to do

• Dashingsteel.3410Dashingsteel.3410 Member ✭✭✭

@Voltekka.2375 said:

@Dashingsteel.3410 said:

@Voltekka.2375 said:

@Dashingsteel.3410 said:

@Blocki.4931 said:

How much reward track progress can you make if you can't keep up with the zerg. An inexperienced player trying to roam without a mount is not going to be very productive. I had birthday and xperience booster and was ticking 361 reward track points every cycle and it took around 5 or 6 hours. I doubt someone who can't keep up with the zerg and has to roam without a mount will be ticking those kind of reward track points.

You dont have to follow the zerg. Flip a camp. Kill a hapless enemy that stayed behind. Group up with others. Gee. It really is not rocket science, or even hard to do

In a few months time, anyone new to wvw will be unmounted and not very familiar with the maps vs. experienced mounted players...… I can see this being extremely frustrating for player trying out wvw for the 1st time. The player won't even have a chance of escaping if he sees enemy players except in the rare case he comes across another newbie on the other team.

• Ruufio.1496Ruufio.1496 Member ✭✭✭

My friends and I will kill anyone we see not on a mount

• DemonSeed.3528DemonSeed.3528 Member ✭✭✭✭

and thus the cycle repeats itself for new players not being able to enjoy the mode

@Dashingsteel.3410 said:

@Voltekka.2375 said:

@Dashingsteel.3410 said:

@Voltekka.2375 said:

@Dashingsteel.3410 said:

@Blocki.4931 said:

In a few months time, anyone new to wvw will be unmounted and not very familiar with the maps vs. experienced mounted players...… I can see this being extremely frustrating for player trying out wvw for the 1st time. The player won't even have a chance of escaping if he sees enemy players except in the rare case he comes across another newbie on the other team.

They couldnt escape premounts, too, against experienced wvw players. All newbs are on zerk gear, anyway, they die fast enough without mounts. The mount wont change this.

@Voltekka.2375 said:

@Dashingsteel.3410 said:

@Voltekka.2375 said:

@Dashingsteel.3410 said:

@Voltekka.2375 said:

@Dashingsteel.3410 said:

@Blocki.4931 said:

They couldnt escape premounts, too, against experienced wvw players. All newbs are on zerk gear, anyway, they die fast enough without mounts. The mount wont change this.

Yes, but before mounts a newbie could keep up with the zerg(every once in a while a glide might lose them) so they didn't have to go out on their own.

• alain.1659alain.1659 Member ✭✭✭

@Voltekka.2375 said:

@Dashingsteel.3410 said:

@Voltekka.2375 said:

@Dashingsteel.3410 said:

@Voltekka.2375 said:

@Dashingsteel.3410 said:

@Blocki.4931 said:

Yet the mount will change the ability to flip camps. Try flipping camps in my server, you have at least 3 enemies on your head before even killing the mobs.

• L A T I O N.8923L A T I O N.8923 Member ✭✭✭

@Blocki.4931 said:

IT only takes 500 mins of maxed participation

That's but 6hrs of hitting stuff that's getting flipped?

• TheGrimm.5624TheGrimm.5624 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Dashingsteel.3410 said:
    I think it will be much more difficult for new players to experience wvw down the road. Zergs are not going to accommodate mountless players like they are doing right now. So if you are new in a few months you will be on your own.... one mountless inexperienced player against the hordes of mounted experienced players. I think it could be a very frustrating experience and turn away future wvwers.

I know you can earn the mount in eotm but will anybody be playing eotm in a few months after most people have their mount?

This could be an issue. Hoping that Anet is out there and active the next few weeks with tags off to observe how the zergs evolve and move about and treat mounted and not. Also doing some mixes myself with havoc group as we have peeps mounted and not. Last night wasn't as much an issues but lets see as we move into weekend combat.

Envy the Madman his musing when Death comes to make fools of us all.
    De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.
    TheGrimm PoTBS/GW1/WAR/Rift/GW2/MWO/ESO/WoT/WoW/D2/HoTS/Civ6/CU/AoC

• Turkeyspit.3965Turkeyspit.3965 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Blocki.4931 said:

It's the same problem as advertising an entry level job, but asking for 3-5 years experience. You don't have the experience to get the job but how can you get experience without getting a job?

If you as a new player are constantly being chased down by people on mounts, or cannot keep up with people in your party/squad because they have mounts, exactly how long will you continue to play before giving up in frustration?

Obviously nobody knows if this will be a problem; contrary to the voices in my head, I cannot see the future! But this concerns seems perfectly reasonable, though I have no idea how to avoid it becoming a problem, short of just letting players zone in to WvW and pay 8g to get the mount.

• Calsie.2501Calsie.2501 Member ✭✭

I was in a squad where the Commander was mounted but I hadn't unlocked mine yet, so I got a brief experience of what it would be like to be a new player trying to catch up. It was pretty discouraging. The only time I managed to be part of things was when the squad was working on a door.

I think they need to put a rental mount at the spawn, maybe with no abilities or something. But as it is right now, I think new players are going to get discouraged pretty quickly.

Love the mount though!

@Calsie.2501 said:
    I think they need to put a rental mount at the spawn, maybe with no abilities or something. But as it is right now, I think new players are going to get discouraged pretty quickly.

It's possible a rental will not help since it will not have any of the abilities (that is, no speed boost on own territories), which means it wouldn't help more than just having swiftness does.

ANet will probably need to reduce the mount speed to avoid the problem mentioned in this thread, but we'll see how much of a reduction will be needed.

• Calsie.2501Calsie.2501 Member ✭✭

@Skotlex.7580 said:
    ANet will probably need to reduce the mount speed to avoid the problem mentioned in this thread

Well I'm hopeful that they can come up with something more creative than nerf its speed. I like the mount the way it is.

• AliamRationem.5172AliamRationem.5172 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Dashingsteel.3410 said:

It's really very easy for players to unlock the mount, though. You'll have it in the time it takes to complete a single reward track. I don't see the big deal.

• AliamRationem.5172AliamRationem.5172 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Skotlex.7580 said:

@AliamRationem.5172 said:
    It's really very easy for players to unlock the mount, though. You'll have it in the time it takes to complete a single reward track. I don't see the big deal.

Except for the part where said player has to play 8+ hours in WvW getting ganked left and right by mounted roamers as the player's inferior travelling speed makes it impossible to keep up with a zerg, or to be able to capture anything minor without the cavalry arriving.

Maybe that's why eotm doesn't has mounts, new players may end up feeling forced to go there to be able to have a less frustrating experience.

Like I said, I don't see the big deal. As a new player in any competitive game, I expect to struggle initially. I also find massive QoL upgrades that require some degree of effort (exactly like the warclaw) very rewarding. In fact, do you know why I never liked WvW before? It's because spending 90% of your time slow walking across a massive map is simply no fun at all. I'd worry a lot more about that than the time it takes to unlock the warclaw.

@Skotlex.7580 said:

Except for the part where said player has to play 8+ hours in WvW getting ganked left and right by mounted roamers as the player's inferior travelling speed makes it impossible to keep up with a zerg, or to be able to capture anything minor without the cavalry arriving.

Maybe that's why eotm doesn't has mounts, new players may end up feeling forced to go there to be able to have a less frustrating experience.

Like I said, I don't see the big deal. As a new player in any competitive game, I expect to struggle initially. I also find massive QoL upgrades that require some degree of effort (exactly like the warclaw) very rewarding. In fact, do you know why I never liked WvW before? It's because spending 90% of your time slow walking across a massive map is simply no fun at all. I'd worry a lot more about that than the time it takes to unlock the warclaw.

Exactly!!! New players will be slow walking to their deaths over and over. It will be hard for them to generate a very nice reward track tick which will probably mean 12 to 15 hours just to get the mount. 1st impressions are everything to someone that is just trying out something to see if they like it or not.

it's one thing to go into WvW and be ganked because one is inexperienced in how the mode works. It's another to state "you can't join others in this mode until you suffer through 10+ hours of total unfun (such as not being able to follow a zerg up, or be able to cap anything without being rushed by mounts).

It's acceptable when the initial handicap is just game experience. In this case it is not, it's just a pretty hefty barrier of entry.

Which is why there are concerns.

• Naxos.2503Naxos.2503 Member ✭✭✭

If Getting the mount is the only issue, Edge of the Mist (which dont have mounts or gliding available) counts for many of the achievements there, only leaving the Reward Track progress, Skirmish tickets, and Badge of honor, mountless people could defend objectives ?

@Naxos.2503 said:
    If Getting the mount is the only issue, Edge of the Mist (which dont have mounts or gliding available) counts for many of the achievements there, only leaving the Reward Track progress, Skirmish tickets, and Badge of honor, mountless people could defend objectives ?

Yes, I agree eotm which has a lesser rewards tick could be used...… It would be a great option if it stays populated...… It usually is a ghost town.

• I was roaming with my mount and there was an unmounted player along. I just zigzagged when on the mount to maintain the engage option and to stay near the running player. As a pug, we ran around the map, flipping camps and making a mess of things. I purposefully stayed slow when mounted or fully dismounted to keep the experience fun.

• Naxos.2503Naxos.2503 Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 8, 2019

@Dashingsteel.3410 said:

@Naxos.2503 said:

Yes, I agree eotm which has a lesser rewards tick could be used...… It would be a great option if it stays populated...… It usually is a ghost town.

Because of the queues, it's Far more active than it has been in the last 2 years combined :D had a good deal of fun in it in the past few days

@Naxos.2503 said:

@Dashingsteel.3410 said:

@Naxos.2503 said:

Because of the queues, it's Far more active than it has been in the last 2 years combined :D had a good deal of fun in it in the past few days

Yes, I understand because of warclaw release it is very active at the moment..... My post is more about a few months from now. I can't help wondering that after the majority of current players get their mount if eotm will revert to a ghost town.

• @Dawdler.8521 said:

@DaFishBob.6518 said:

Rental cost for the mount is only $30 and you also get a bunch of lesser usefull stuff too, like WvW meta elites if you are the weird type that like that sort of thing.

lol how dare you suggest people support the game! I may have to report you for this. This is UNACCEPTABLE! We must think of the leeches!

• DemonSeed.3528DemonSeed.3528 Member ✭✭✭✭

Is a person who buys 20 copies of HoT lesser supporting of the game than a person who bought 1 copy of PoF?

• Teon.5168Teon.5168 Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 9, 2019

@Dashingsteel.3410 said:

I don't know.....I think it will be ok. Some pve players will stick around and get hooked on wvw, and some other pve players will continue to play other modes as well, but not be quite as intimidated to continue to try wvw.

I ran with a few zergs a few nights back, and it wasn't difficult to keep up on foot, with speed. (That may be different now....I don't know)

• Tiny Doom.4380Tiny Doom.4380 Member ✭✭✭

We'll see if this is a problem. I suspect it won't be. I have the mount but I'm not using it because I don't like mounts. Not having any issues doing anything I could do before mounts so far.

• Cuks.8241Cuks.8241 Member ✭✭✭

The grind, even if minuscule is unnecessary. Arena net did a good job to keep everyone on an even footing in pvp modes, mount destroyed this (you could also say gliding but that is much less impact full). Mount should be available to everyone, from the start, including free to play players. Otherwise it will actually reduce the WvW population.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.