ANet says they want to improve tempest support, here is what needs to be looked at:
- Give tempest options to be offensive support or defensive support (Elementalist is about versatility, so tempest support should be based on what elements he chooses aside from tempest line)
- Give the elemental traitlines meaningful choices that have synergy, and meaningful boons to make tempest relevant on the current PvP and PvE meta.
- Make traits/runes that extend aura times relevant by providing traits that set auras to pulse boons instead of just providing a single application
Tempest should not be pigeonholed in a healing/cleansing bot. Let the tempest line be about large AoEs, group effects and staying longer on attunements. Let the type of support (offensive or defensive) be decided by the other two traitlines.
Here are a few suggestions:
- Minor Proficiency: Warhorn Proficiency - You can wield the warhorn weapon.
Minor Adept: Singularity - Attain elemental singularity by remaining in an attunement for a period of time. Upon attaining singularity, you may overload the attunement to your vicinity.
- Major Adept: Gale Song - Recharge "Eye of the Storm!" when a foe attempts to control you by stun, daze, knockback, pull, knockdown, sink, float, fear, taunt, or launch (This has a 90s CD and only activates if the shout is on CD). Eye of the Storm now provides quickness (5s) to allies.
- Major Adept: Effective Conduit - Using skills from an attunement reduces the recharge of its overload.
- Major Adept: Unstable Conduit - Overloading an attunement grants an aura based on the element you're attuned to when the ability is completed.
Minor Master: Speedy Conduit - Pulse swiftness and stability to yourself when overloading an attunement.
- Major Master: Tempestuous Aria - Allies affected by your shouts gain a boom and Enemies are affected by a condition based on shout. Shouts have reduced CD and applies to 10 targets.
- Major Master: Elemental Bastion - Receive an aura at the start of your overloads based on attunement. Auras you apply last 33% longer.
- Major Master: Harmonious Conduit - Upon successfully completing an overload, gain a buff based on overload (fire 5% dmg and condi dmg, air 10% crit dmg, earth -10% dmg and condi dmg reduction, water 10% healing effectiveness) for a period of time (5s).
Minor Grandmaster: Hardy Conduit - Pulse protection and barrier to yourself while overloading an attunement.
- Major Grandmaster: Imbued Melodies - Gain increased concentration when wielding a warhorn. Use Sand Squall when struck while below the health threshold. Sand squall now extends boons for 10 targets.
- Major Grandmaster: Lucid Singularity - Remove and gain massive resistance to movement-impeding conditions while overloading your attunements. Overloads pulse superspeed to yourself.
- Major Grandmaster: Tempestuous Auras - When you apply an aura to yourself, apply the same aura to 10 allies.
Air overload - Reduce the dmg of the lightening strikes and increase the number back to 5 targets. Provide static discharge to allies on each pulse instead of just completion.
The idea is to give the tempest the option to buff allies by sharing auras, improving shouts or being more selfish and focusing on its own overloads to complete them successfully and frequently. The reduced recharge on overloads could be a flat percentage but seems more interesting giving it a reduced recharge per skill use, making that weapons with faster casting times (scepter, dagger) can overload faster than slow ones (staff). The changes try to combine well with the options on each traitline and lets the tempest (by moving aura share from water) becomes a full offensive (fire/air/tempest) or defensive (water/earth/tempest) support or even a mix of those. Tempest can also focus on being more selfish and versatile by focusing on overloading more frequent and successfully at the cost of sharing auras and heals.
Giving fire a condi cleanse makes it just more of the same of what we have with water. Eles wanted more ways to deal with condis out of the water line, but not the same way. It makes much more sense to make fire line a way to resist condis instead of cleansing it. This makes it a different playstile where you try to keep up your resistance, but if you loose it (corrupt or stunlock) you take all the condis you couldn't cleanse (the risk vs reward idea).
Minor Adept: Empowering Flame - Gain power and condition damage (150 @ lvl80) while attuned to fire.
- Major Adept: Burning Precision - Critical hits have a chance to cause burning (3s, 5s ICD per target), and burning lasts 33% longer.
- Major Adept: Blinding Ashes - Blind foes that you burn (8s ICD per target).
- Major Adept: Powerful Auras - Auras you apply give might (2 stacks 10s). Fire auras give extra might each second (1 stack 10s).
Minor Master: Sunspot - Inflict damage and burning at your location when you attune to fire and gain a fire aura.
- Major Master: Pyromancer's Training - Reduces recharge on all fire weapon skills. Each skill you use while attuned to fire grants you might.
- Major Master: Burning Fire - Fire auras you apply last longer and pulse resistance (1s every second).
- Major Master: Power Overwhelming - Gain condition damage based on your power. When you gain fire aura, burn nearby foes.
Minor Grandmaster: Burning Rage - Deal more damage to burning foes.
- Major Grandmaster: Persisting Flames - Executing blast finishers on fire fields grant fire aura to you. Fire fields last longer. Create a lava font when you go down.
- Major Grandmaster: Pyromancer's Puissance - Gain 10% damage _and condition damage bonus _while attuned to fire
- Major Grandmaster: Conjurer - Conjure utilities skills recharge faster. Conjure weapon provide higher bonuses and conjure abilities have reduced recharge .
This changes try to increase the hybrid dmg of fire line. It gives you choices as in: If you change attunements often, than maybe the bonus dmg in fire is not as useful as lasting fire fields, while if you stay longer in fire you can build more might and have increased dmg and condi dmg. Or you can trait more defensively with blinds and condi resistance to make sure you can stay in fire longer to deliver the dmg (instead of having to swap to a defensive attunement)
Minor Adept: Ferocious Winds - Gain ferocity and precision (150 @ lvl80) while attuned to air.
- Major Adept: Zephyr's Boon - Grant boons (fury and swiftness) to allies you grant auras to. Glyphs apply boons based on your attunement.
- Major Adept: One with Air - Move faster while attuned to air and gain superspeed when attuning to air.
- Major Adept: Piercing Lightening - vulnerability you apply last 33% longer. You have increased critical chance to vulnerable foes (2% per stack) while attuned to air.
Minor Master: Electric Discharge - Strike your target with a bolt of lightning when attuning to air.
- Major Master: Zephyr speed - Static auras you apply pulse superspeed (3s every 3s). Apply quickness (3s) when you apply superspeed.
- Major Master: Aeromancer's Training - Gain ferocity based on your precision. Reduces recharge on all air weapon skills.
- Major Master: Tempest Defense - Recharge Shocking Aura when disabled (Only activates if shocking aura is on CD, 25s CD). Deal increased damage to stunned, dazed or knocked-down foes.
Minor Grandmaster: Raging Storm - Critically striking a foe grants fury. Gain ferocity while under the effects of fury.
- Major Grandmaster: Bolt to the Heart - Deal more damage when your foe's health drops below the threshold.
- Major Grandmaster: Fresh Air - Recharge air attunement on a critical hit. Gain a ferocity boost when attuning to air.
- Major Grandmaster: Lightning Rod - Cast Lightning Rod when you disable a foe. Electric Discharge hits twice against disabled foes.
These changes create the opportunity for air to be the go-to element for a power dmg burst (sustained burst with FA, higher CC burst with lightening rod or finishing bursts with BttH), but also opens the possibility for a fresh-air tempest to constantly buff its group offensively with fury and quickness by sharing shock auras. It also opens up synergy with weavers elemental pursuit with adding quickness on superspeed (proposed zephyrs speed) at the cost of tempest defense
Eles that focus on air burst, can also use piercing lightening to improve their crit chance, opening up viability for valkirie and cavaliers stats, making the burst air ele (that does not have stealth or lots of invuls) more survivable at the expense of having lower crit chance when not in air or against foes without vulnerability
Minor Adept: Stone Flesh - Gain toughness and expertise (150 @ lvl80) while attuned to earth.
- Major Adept: Earth's Embrace - Gain Armor of Earth whenever your health drops below the threshold. (Change Armor of Earth to pulses stability -1s- and protection -1s- for the duration instead of a single application)
- Major Adept: Serrated Stones - Bleeds you apply last longer; deal more damage to bleeding foes.
- Major Adept: Rock Solid - Gain stability when attuning to earth. Magnetic auras you apply pulse stability (1s every second)
Minor Master: Earthen Blast - Bleed foes and cripple them for 3 seconds when attuning to earth.
- Major Master: Geomancer's Defense - Protection reduces condition damage done to you and stability removes movement impairing conditions on you.
- Major Master: Elemental Shielding - Grant protection when applying an aura to yourself or an ally. Protection you apply have improved damage reduction.
- Major Master: Geomancer's Training - You recover more quickly from slow, crippling, immobilizing, and chilling. Reduces recharge on all earth weapon skills.
Minor Grandmaster: Strength of Stone - Gain expertise based on your toughness.
- Major Grandmaster: Diamond Skin - Remove conditions when struck while your health is above the threshold (50%).
- Major Grandmaster: Written in Stone - Maintain the passive effects of signets when you activate them. Reduce recharge of signets.
- Major Grandmaster: Stone Heart - Enemies that critically hit you receive weakness (2s, 5s ICD per target). You cannot be critically hit while attuned to earth.
The changes try to give stone heart a bit of a use outside of earth to be a viable trait if you are not camping earth, while also improving the aura traits on earth. By making rock solid a selfish trait, it can be moved down to adept and be a good option to earthen embrace (constant stability with auras or a burst at 50%hp). The change to diamond skin aims to make synergies with traits like earthen embrace, bolstered elements, and _final shielding
Minor Adept: Aquatic Benevolence - regenerate health (Soothing mist) and gain Healing Power (150 @ lvl 80) while attuned to Water.
- Major Adept: Invigorating Auras - Auras you apply heal allies and also grant vigor.
- Major Adept: Latent Stamina - Apply vigor in a radius when attuning to water. Granting vigor to allies also restores a portion of endurance.
- Major Adept: Soothing Disruption - Cantrips grant you an aura (armor of earth: magnetic aura, cleansing fire: fire aura, lightening flash: shock aura, mist form: frost aura, tornado and ether renewal: aura based on attunement); reduce recharge on cantrips.
Minor Master: Healing Ripple - Heal nearby allies when attuning to water.
- Major Master: Soothing Ice - Gain frost aura when critically hit. Frost auras you apply pulse regeneration (1s every second).
- Major Master: Soothing recovery - Cast geyser when reviving an ally. Geyser revive allies. You have improved revive speed, and give frost aura to you when reviving an ally, and frost aura to allies you revive.
- Major Master: Aquamancer's Training - Reduces recharge on all water weapon skills. Regeneration you apply have improved effects.
Minor Grandmaster: Aquatic Benevolence - 10% healing effectiveness.
- Major Grandmaster: Cleansing Water - Remove a condition when granting regeneration to yourself or an ally.
- Major Grandmaster: Cleansing Wave - Recharges water attunement when using a heal skill. Remove a condition from you and your allies when attuning to water.
- Major Grandmaster: Soothing Power - Soothing Mist has increased effects and apply to 10 people.
This changes make 3 clear options on the water line: improving auras (auras can give regen and vigor, being a great combo for group cleanse combo with cleansing water), giving heals and cleanses when going into water, and refreshing water attunement faster at the expense of your heal skill, or to be a full healer staying longer in water attunement and improving your soothing mist and water cooldowns.
The proposed change to soothing mist and soothing power, make it more efficient and the effect also helps the ele using his healing skills and combos, but only effect the ele. But if the ele takes soothing power this will make this trait not only improve the regen you apply, but also buff other players own healing, making a great choice for a healing ele that is not focused on auras. The soothing mist effect also lasts for a while, even when you leave water, threfore can be used by an ele that stays in water longer or one that jumps in water for burst heals...
Minor Adept: Elemental Attunement - When attuning to an element, you and nearby allies gain a boon.
- Major Adept: Arcane Precision - Skills have a chance to apply a condition on critical hits.
- Major Adept: Renewing Stamina - Gain vigor when you deliver a critical hit.
- Major Adept: Arcane Abatement - Reduce fall damage you receive; cast a spell based on your attunement when you receive fall damage. Swapping attunements restores health.
Minor Master: Elemental Fury - Gain Leaser Elemental Power (Arcane skill: You do critical damage with your next 2 attacks. grants bonus ferocity.) when swapping attunements.
- Major Master: Lingering Elements - Attunement bonuses (from minor traits) linger longer (5s) after leaving an attunement.
- Major Master: Elemental Contingency - Gain a boon when you are struck, based on your current attunement.
- Major Master: Final Shielding - Create an Lesser Arcane Shield when your health drops below the threshold. Arcane shield is now an aura (it triggers aura traits, can be shared with aura-shrare, and can be consumed to trigger the AoE dmg).
Minor Grandmaster: Elemental Enchantment - Gain concentration and your attunements gain reduced recharge.
- Major Grandmaster: Evasive Arcana - Create an attunement-based spell after dodging.
- Major Grandmaster: Elemental Surge - Based on your attunement, arcane skills inflict a condition on foes. Gain more ferocity when you use an arcane skill. Arcane skills recharge faster.
- Major Grandmaster: Bountiful Power - Gain increased effects for each boon on you based on attunement: fire: 1% dmg, 1% condi dmg; air: 1% dmg, 1% crit dmg; water: 1% healing, 1% outgoing healing; earth: 1% dmg reduction, 1% incoming condi duration reduction
- Minor Proficiency: Sword Proficiency - You can wield swords in your main hand.
Minor Adept: Weaver - Your active attunement is now applied to your main hand, with the old attunement moving to your off hand. Attunement recharges are reduced. Gain access to Dual Attack and the Stance utility types.
- Major Adept: Superior Elements - Dual Attack skills weaken enemies. Attacks against weakened foes have increased critical chance.
- Major Adept: Elemental Pursuit - Gain superspeed when inflicting inhibiting conditions on enemies.
- Major Adept: Master's Fortitude - Gain increased vitality when wielding a sword. Gain bonus vitality based on a portion of your power and condition damage.
Minor Master: Elemental Refreshment - Gain barrier when swapping attunments.
- Major Master: Weaver's Prowess - Gain bonuses for a period of time after attuning to a different element: Fire - increased condition damage, Water - reduced condition duration to you, Air - increased condition duration, Earth - reduced condition damage to you.
- Major Master: Swift Revenge - Gain swiftness when using a Dual Attack. Deal extra damage to enemies while under the effects of swiftness or superspeed.
- Major Master: Bolstered Elements - Gain stability when activating a stance. Activate Lesser Stone Resonance when struck while below the health threshold.
Minor Grandmaster: Elemental Polyphony - Gain attributes based on your current attunement. When dual attuned, gain both benefits.
- Major Grandmaster: Elements of Rage - Gain bonuses for a period of time when attuned to a single element. Fire - 10% damage, Air - 10% critical dmg, Water - 10% healing eff, Earth - 10% dmg reduction.
- Major Grandmaster: Woven Stride - Gain swiftness when you are inflicted with inhibiting conditions. When gaining either superspeed or swiftness, also gain regeneration. Swiftness has increased effectiveness.
- Major Grandmaster: Invigorating Strikes - Gain vigor when using a Dual Attack. Vigor has increased effectiveness. Dodge rolling grants a barrier.
With the changes to air (superspeed can give quickness) there are a lot of synergy with weaver traits. Making the bonuses of elements of rage and weaver prowess more related to the attunements opens the possibility of weaver as a support (water/earth) that uses the reduced attunement CD to trigger more water heals and earth defenses while obtaining defensive bonuses.