Forum bug: Javascript not working in IE — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Forum bug: Javascript not working in IE

Danikat.8537Danikat.8537 Member ✭✭✭✭
edited March 7, 2019 in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

About 12 hours ago Javascripts stopped working for me on this forum, and only this forum. I'm using Internet Explorer 11, and I've checked and definitely got scripting enabled, and Javascript is working on other sites, including other Vanilla forums. I can't be completely sure it's the forum that's the problem of course, but I thought I should mention it just in case.

It's annoying because it means I can't use the thumbs up or helpful buttons, or any drop-down menus, so I can only see notifications and messages by going to my profile and I can't edit posts (at least not without switching browsers).

"Hard knocks, bad luck, been knocked down,
You got back up, rise up, shine on, keep on fighting, the war is almost done...But then I hear you're gone.
I feel, when the lights go down, you are still here, all you hold dear remains.
Your star never fades."

Comments

• Hannelore.8153Hannelore.8153 Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 7, 2019

I don't expect ArenaNet to maintain support for it anymore given that Microsoft has officially stated "Internet Explorer is not a web browser".

Daisuki[SUKI] Founder | Mains Mariyuuna, Water mage |+
    Akarissa, Auratashi, Hanamariko, Kanasuki, Kokonomori, Korisaki, Manakuro, Sarehtori, Terakura, Yukianna
    Alice Ryven, Alisha Kei, Baxia Tres, Caelia Flamestrike, Kiryka Darkwillow, Rikka Rowe, Thea Lux

• IE is not being supported at the moment, any other browser should be good though. Is there a reason why you don't want to use another browser?

• derd.6413derd.6413 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 7, 2019

there's an easy solution for that: don't use internet explorer

I Have No friends, so I Must pug

• Danikat.8537Danikat.8537 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Ironheart.9758 said:
    IE is not being supported at the moment, any other browser should be good though. Is there a reason why you don't want to use another browser?

I use several browsers for different purposes, for a variety of reasons. But based on past experience I've got a better chance of getting everyone on this forum to agree on only using AMD or Nvidia graphics cards than getting anyone to accept any of those choices and I'd rather keep the topic focused on the issue at hand.

I've reported what appears to be a bug. If it can't be fixed or I get sick of it before then I'll stick to using a different browser. But I thought Anet might want to know about the problem, since it started suddenly and recently and I didn't see any mention of them changing anything, so it may well be unintended.

You got back up, rise up, shine on, keep on fighting, the war is almost done...But then I hear you're gone.
    Your star never fades."

• Inculpatus cedo.9234Inculpatus cedo.9234 Member ✭✭✭✭

Do be aware: It won't be ArenaNet, likely, that changed anything, but Vanilla. And if past performance is any indication, a fix won't be speedily forthcoming.

Good luck.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:
    Do be aware: It won't be ArenaNet, likely, that changed anything, but Vanilla. And if past performance is any indication, a fix won't be speedily forthcoming.

Good luck.

But as I said other Vanilla forums I use are still working. The Elder Scrolls Online forum for example is also Vanilla based and uses identical functions, and they're all still working. It could still be a Vanilla problem, maybe the GW2 forum is using a newer version for example, but it could also be something Anet changed, since Vanilla does offer a lot of customisation.

Your star never fades."

• Given the number of times that Gaile has followed up on a surprise Vanilla change that broke something, I'd bet that's the case again. It could be because ANet assumes some of its players (like @Danikat.8537) use IE still and Vanilla assumes they don't... or it could be something else.

"Face the facts. Then act on them. It's ...the only doctrine I have to offer you, & it's harder than you'd think, because I swear humans seem hardwired to do anything but. Face the facts. Don't pray, don't wish, ...FACE THE FACTS. THEN act." — Quellcrist Falconer

• Bloodstealer.5978Bloodstealer.5978 Member ✭✭✭✭

Yep all the buttons are screwed this time.. cant edit posts, cant view notifications via the buttons, nothing.. something is defo screwed up again.. not just IE but MS Edge as well.

Life is what YOU make it... NOT what others tell you!

Actually Forums appear to working again as normal in Edge

• Poormany.4507Poormany.4507 Member ✭✭✭

I'm having the same issue on Firefox since today.

I'm not having any issues using Firefox.

Grrr having to use Edge to use these forums is.. yuk.. fix for IE plz

• Ironheart.9758Ironheart.9758 Member ✭✭
    edited March 8, 2019

@Danikat.8537 said:

@Ironheart.9758 said:
    IE is not being supported at the moment, any other browser should be good though. Is there a reason why you don't want to use another browser?

I use several browsers for different purposes, for a variety of reasons. But based on past experience I've got a better chance of getting everyone on this forum to agree on only using AMD or Nvidia graphics cards than getting anyone to accept any of those choices and I'd rather keep the topic focused on the issue at hand.

I've reported what appears to be a bug. If it can't be fixed or I get sick of it before then I'll stick to using a different browser. But I thought Anet might want to know about the problem, since it started suddenly and recently and I didn't see any mention of them changing anything, so it may well be unintended.

Didn't mean anything by it, was just curious why you choose IE, when it is archaic. By all means, you can use which ever browser you wish but the reality is that officially no new w3 standards will be supported in ie, some 3rd party guys might make poly-fills but its officially not supported anymore.

see https://kangax.github.io/compat-table/es6/

• MDove.2391MDove.2391 Member ✭✭

Have same problem. Reading everywhere. All seems to be in place on IE.
    Wouldn't mind using another Browser but hate changing "Default" Browser.
    Can we "assign" another Browser to GW2?

My issues are not that the web pages look out of kilter.. its the fact that none of the buttons are working again.. can't edit, cant use notifications, inbox ..the button functionality has been bugged again like it was previously.
    Heck right now I cant even logout of the forums :)

• Heartpains.7312Heartpains.7312 Member ✭✭✭

Can't logout of the forums as well =p

Came in now on Chrome, wasn't able to edit earlier Post on IE. Thx.

Yeah - Now getting the Permission problem.. JavaScript needs to be enabled - It is!!

Guess this just going to be left ignored...

• Khisanth.2948Khisanth.2948 Member ✭✭✭✭

The message is a bit misleading but what is actually happening is that the the Javascript code minifier is probably using new JS syntax that IE doesn't support.

The result is that IE can't parse the JS files and the features that require JS doesn't work.

@Khisanth.2948 said:
    The message is a bit misleading but what is actually happening is that the the Javascript code minifier is probably using new JS syntax that IE doesn't support.

The result is that IE can't parse the JS files and the features that require JS doesn't work.

Any idea why it only affects this forum and not other Vanilla forums I use? (Genuinely just asking because I'm curious, I'd expect an update to the forum software to affect all of them.)

Your star never fades."

• Leablo.2651Leablo.2651 Member ✭✭✭

@Danikat.8537 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:

Any idea why it only affects this forum and not other Vanilla forums I use? (Genuinely just asking because I'm curious, I'd expect an update to the forum software to affect all of them.)

For starters, that's not a reasonable assumption.

edited March 13, 2019

@Danikat.8537 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:

Got a link to the others?
    The links to the files conveniently include their version number https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/js/flyouts.js?v=2.8+2019.003.5c80426f

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@Danikat.8537 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:

Got a link to the others?
    The links to the files conveniently include their version number https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/js/flyouts.js?v=2.8+2019.003.5c80426f

The Elder Scrolls Online forum for one: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories

Your star never fades."

edited March 13, 2019

hmm too lazy to dig further at the moment but we can see
    https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/js/flyouts.js?v=2.8+2019.003.5c80426f
    vs
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/js/flyouts.js?v=2.8.5c8045fe

so the version numbers are not the same, if you check the page info the GW2 forum's was last modified March 6, 2019 while the ESO forum was last modified Feburary 14, 2019

https://www.diffchecker.com/2qT8LItM looking at the changes the culprit might just

Uh ... it seems like error is due to one annoying comma in

var $handle=$(this).find(".FlyoutButton, .Button-Options, .Handle, .editor-action:not(.editor-action-separator)",);

The very last one in ",);"

That was also the thing that stood out when I first looked at it earlier.

... and looking at the unminified version at https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/js/flyouts.js?v=2.8+2019.003.5c80426f (note + vs percent 2 b) it looks like my earlier accusation towards the minifier was wrong. That comma is in the original.

@Khisanth.2948 said:

This is not the first time this has happened with the forums.. button functionality is screwed up like before and it's not just limited to IE as I am getting the errors in Edge as well on occasion and others have said they get issues with chrome. Firefox seems to work ok though.
    Can't edit posts or even log out of the forums anymore :)
    Gaile used to jump all over Vanilla to sort this rubbish out.. guess this is the sign of the times.

The joys of people leaving without a hand-over period, you suddenly find out just how many things only that one person knew how to do!

(Or even with a hand-over period if you later discover the notes they wrote include helpful things like "If this doesn't work call Nick - he will sort it" with absolutely no hint of who Nick is, what his phone number is or how to find out.)

Your star never fades."

@Khisanth.2948 said:
    hmm too lazy to dig further at the moment but we can see
    https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/js/flyouts.js?v=2.8+2019.003.5c80426f
    vs
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/js/flyouts.js?v=2.8.5c8045fe

so the version numbers are not the same, if you check the page info the GW2 forum's was last modified March 6, 2019 while the ESO forum was last modified Feburary 14, 2019

https://www.diffchecker.com/2qT8LItM looking at the changes the culprit might just

Uh ... it seems like error is due to one annoying comma in

var $handle=$(this).find(".FlyoutButton, .Button-Options, .Handle, .editor-action:not(.editor-action-separator)",);

The very last one in ",);"

That was also the thing that stood out when I first looked at it earlier.

... and looking at the unminified version at https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/js/flyouts.js?v=2.8+2019.003.5c80426f (note + vs percent 2 b) it looks like my earlier accusation towards the minifier was wrong. That comma is in the original.

Thanks for taking the time to investigate, and for the explanation. Even if we can't fix the problem it's nice to know what's going on at least.

Your star never fades."

Trailing commas are not a syntax violation in JavaScript. In particular, such commas in function calls have been legal since ES8. The issue remains with the choice of browser.

@Leablo.2651 said:
    Trailing commas are not a syntax violation in JavaScript. In particular, such commas in function calls have been legal since ES8. The issue remains with the choice of browser.

Except its happening on a variety of browsers not just IE.. so that kinda pushes that theory out the window.. so far Firefox users have reported issues, IE users, Edge users only one I am not sure of is chrome as yet.

As said previously.. this is the same issue the forums had after Vanilla had been playing around and which Gaile got them to sort out quicksmart.. but that doesn't seem likely to happen now, it's not even warranted an acknowledgment of the issue from ANET thus far.

I use Firefox with no issue.
    Just tried Chrome; again, no issue.
    I'm using Win10. Must be something other than the browser.

• Poormany.4507Poormany.4507 Member ✭✭✭

I'm using an older version of Firefox and it has the same issues issues, so I think it only affects older browsers and versions. Newest version of Chrome works fine for me. All on Windows 10.

Coming in on Firefox, just fine.
    Guess will need to Bookmark the Forums, instead of coming in on the Client...

This seems to have been fixed, at least for me. Notifications and the reaction button are working again in all my browsers. :)

Your star never fades."

@Danikat.8537 said:
    This seems to have been fixed, at least for me. Notifications and the reaction button are working again in all my browsers. :)

Yip appears to have been resolved again..

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:

@Leablo.2651 said:

Except its happening on a variety of browsers not just IE.. so that kinda pushes that theory out the window.. so far Firefox users have reported issues, IE users, Edge users only one I am not sure of is chrome as yet.

If by "variety" you mean IE, the other Microsoft browser, and very old versions of other browsers, sure. I'm relatively slow to update myself, I've been on Firefox ESR and haven't had a single problem with these forums and you can see in this thread that people on other browsers reported no issues. It is a choice to use outdated browsers regardless of their branding. There is no "fix" for them, there are only workarounds, and this kind of thing will only continue to happen with increasing frequency across all websites as older browsers continue to fall off the radar.

edited March 27, 2019

@Leablo.2651 said:

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:

@Leablo.2651 said:

If by "variety" you mean IE, the other Microsoft browser, and very old versions of other browsers, sure. I'm relatively slow to update myself, I've been on Firefox ESR and haven't had a single problem with these forums and you can see in this thread that people on other browsers reported no issues. It is a choice to use outdated browsers regardless of their branding. There is no "fix" for them, there are only workarounds, and this kind of thing will only continue to happen with increasing frequency across all websites as older browsers continue to fall off the radar.

Not about being slow to upgrade or update, it's about preference.
    I dislike Firefox and Chrome whilst Edge makes the forums look ugly and read bad to me. IE is a choice I take for the moment. .
    This is not some new issue, this had happened previously and may of been Vanilla tweaking that pushed issues not browser choice.
    Sure at some point browsers may become unsupported like IE.. but then ANET/Vanilla need to make it clear their forums will no longer function unless browser choice is updated.. until then it may be that they choose to place "workarounds" … btw it's once again all fine and dandy.

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:
    IE is a choice I take

Agreed.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.