Anyone make D/D & S/T work for condi scourge?

Bull Zooker.1672

On paper, dual wielding daggers for sustain with scepter and torch as your main damage set looks fairly good.

High LF generation on dagger 1, decent heal on dagger 2, 2 boon corrupts on dagger 3, 1 boon corrupt on dagger 5, condi transfer on dagger 4 etc (everyone knows what scepter/torch does)

Taking D/D over the staff (i know, the loss of utility is mega) allows you to drop soul reaping which means you could take curses instead.

potentially blood (up/mid-down-down) curses (down-mid-down/up) scourge (up-mid-up).

Maybe use the sage amulet, with trail of anguish, sand swell, wurm, scourge elite and heal.

curious if anyone has tried anything similar?

You don't want to take dagger mainhand for autoattacks. They only work on downed enemies.

If you autoattack any other class with dagger, you will most likely loose the fight, because the dmg is bad and other players will say "thank you for letting me getting free hits on you"

Dagger is good for dagger 2+3 but I wouldn't play double dagger, having warhorn is way more valuable.

Necro can not sustain staying at melee range when autoattacking with dagger. It's the worst auto auf all necro weapons.

The cost/reward ratio is incredibly bad. The main reason is your limited mobility which forces you to play reactive (and not proactive) at melee range. Therefore the damage is way to low as you are always one step behind the actions of your target.

Reaper GS does a better melee range job because you can precast while moving. That changes a lot. On dagger you have to stick to your target for the whole autoattack rotation (2 seconds) while you can not block or evade.

The dagger autoattack needs a massive damage increase (to prevent simply becoming counterbursted which you will always lose) or alternatively the weapon needs a leap to allow proactive playstyles.

@Bull Zooker.1672 said:thank you all for your comments, i tested this in a couple games and got absolutely owned.the LF generation on dagger was actually awful which was the biggest surprise to me.maybe main hand dagger will get a buff one day, as it is currently, it isnt very useful in pvp!

I think people recognize me by now, as one of the very few and only Power Reapers that use Dagger main hand in spvp/wvw at a very high skill level.

I'd explain in greater detail why i think dagger is useful in many scenarios...but i'm not going to go into those details because it's very particular to my build and my playstyle, something not everyone shares. Since your playing scourge, something which i don't play, I cant say how it would perform (But i assume for the most part its garbo)

So i'll just say this, that Dagger Mainhand can be a good weapon if you make a build that puts it's potential to use. Dagger offhand is godawful in my opinion...but Dagger Mainhand with Warhorn? Much better life force regeneration on your weapon set. Does it deserve a buff? Yea of course...but it's not a terrible weapon if used in the right way with the right build.

D/Wh+A/F is the to go weapon combo for core power necro. Nevertheless you won't use the autoattack very often. Skill 2 and 3 are situationally good but outperformed by GS, so that dagger on reaper is always a bad idea.

Skill 3 was a great CC and burst setup for a while but there is too much condi cleanse or even immunity now so it fails just too often.Warriors ignore the immob (can mobility break it), thieves ignore the immb (dash and can still leap/port), soulbeasts ignore the immob (instant tansfer to pet), mirages ignore the immob (can dodge), holos ignore the immob (can still leap), reapers ignore the immob (cleanse it on shroud enter or in shroud via SW) ... and so on.

@JusticeRetroHunter.7684 said:

@Bull Zooker.1672 said:thank you all for your comments, i tested this in a couple games and got absolutely owned.the LF generation on dagger was actually awful which was the biggest surprise to me.maybe main hand dagger will get a buff one day, as it is currently, it isnt very useful in pvp!

I think people recognize me by now, as one of the very few and only Power Reapers that use Dagger main hand in spvp/wvw at a very high skill level.

I'd explain in greater detail why i think dagger is useful in many scenarios...but i'm not going to go into those details because it's very particular to my build and my playstyle, something not everyone shares. Since your playing scourge, something which i don't play, I cant say how it would perform (But i assume for the most part its garbo)

So i'll just say this, that Dagger Mainhand can be a good weapon if you make a build that puts it's potential to use. Dagger offhand is godawful in my opinion...but Dagger Mainhand with Warhorn? Much better life force regeneration on your weapon set. Does it deserve a buff? Yea of course...but it's not a terrible weapon if used in the right way with the right build.

But you don't take dagger MH for the lifeforce generation on autoattack.Like someone else and me said before. You make yourself very vulnerable if you try to autoattack and get value from that.The autoattack is only useful against completely stupid enemies, that don't focus you, or against downed enemies

The spec you play (reaper,scourge,core) doesn't matter here

@Nimon.7840 said:

@"Bull Zooker.1672" said:thank you all for your comments, i tested this in a couple games and got absolutely owned.the LF generation on dagger was actually awful which was the biggest surprise to me.maybe main hand dagger will get a buff one day, as it is currently, it isnt very useful in pvp!

But you don't take dagger MH for the lifeforce generation on autoattack.Like someone else and me said before. You make yourself very vulnerable if you try to autoattack and get value from that.The autoattack is only useful against completely stupid enemies, that don't focus you, or against downed enemies

The spec you play (reaper,scourge,core) doesn't matter here

I'll just propose to you, the following scenario.

You activate Warhorn 5 (Locust Swarm) while in combat. The only real way to take advantage of this is to be in close proximity to an enemy to gain life force from that. So, because you're ALREADY in the situation of being in melee range to make use of Warhorn 5, you might as well use dagger auto to generate life force as well. In effect you would use these two skills in synchronization to gain the utmost value for what it's intended for...which is to build enough life force in a 10 second window to enter shroud again (preferably at maximum life force) which equates to sustain.

Consider another possible scenario.

You are fighting a class that spams frequently :1) Aegis2) Blind3) finite block abilities like this and this

due to the attack speed of dagger, and it's coupled use of warhorn 5, you can essentially shrug off aegis and blind and block skills, something that a great sword would normally have trouble with.

Lastly, you've mentioned making yourself vulnerable by simply being in melle range while outside of shroud. It's true, that you do put yourself "out there" while in melle range while outside of shroud. But really, this is true for any melle weapon, including Greatsword, which is why it has a very powerful AOE skill that helps level the playing field. I'm sure we can all agree that Greatsword would be garbage without Nightfall. But if Nightfall isn't available, you simply don't have enough melle presence on Greatsword to compete either, and it becomes more optimal to use GS 4 , 5, and if you are lucky a 2, and 3 and then leave great sword for Shroud or your alternate weapon set. You would almost never camp GS for an autoattack.

I didn't really want to get into that, but i hope it makes sense the way i've explained this.

MH dagger has the severe disadvantage of forcing you to face-tank and I have never gotten dagger-dagger to work, even in PvE. The two daggers support different builds.

Life Siphon when used after self-bleeding is still just asking to be CC'd so good enough in PvE but asking for trouble elsewhere.

Archived