In the forums, when I try to mark a post helpful or thumbs up, I get an error.

I've been having the same problem and made a topic about it here: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/70802/forum-bug-javascript-not-working-in-ie#latest

I definitely have Javascript installed and enabled and it's working on other sites, even on other forums using the same software, just not this one. For now Chrome seems to be working, I've not tried other browsers but according to posts in that topic Edge and some versions of Firefox are having the same problem.

I think Microsoft is desperately trying to get IE users to switch to Edge. It's clearly they are introducing bugs to IE that weren't there before. But, Edge is so grossly inferior to IE it's not even on the table, as far as I'm concerned.

Chrome is OK, but it's such a memory hog I only use it if I absolutely have to. If one could cut down on the background crap Chrome brings up, it would be a useful alternative. But, as it, it's dead as far as I'm concerned.

That leaves Mozilla and FireFox. I'll be trying those soon.

@Daddicus.6128 said:I think Microsoft is desperately trying to get IE users to switch to Edge. It's clearly they are introducing bugs to IE that weren't there before. But, Edge is so grossly inferior to IE it's not even on the table, as far as I'm concerned.

Chrome is OK, but it's such a memory hog I only use it if I absolutely have to. If one could cut down on the background kitten Chrome brings up, it would be a useful alternative. But, as it, it's dead as far as I'm concerned.

That leaves Mozilla and FireFox. I'll be trying those soon.

Edge seems like it was really made for tablets. But then Windows 10 as a whole seems like it was made for tablets and desktops were an after thought. It took far too long to stop my computer worrying about the lack of a web can or touch screen and to stop prompting me to let it track it's location as if it was ever going to move.

• 2 weeks later...

@Daddicus.6128 said:I figure Microsoft induced errors in Internet Explorer

IE isn't supported any more. MS is releasing security fixes and that's it. When there are changes to protocols (as there are inevitably), IE is going to start breaking more and more often. Vanilla forums are among the first to be affected, as we have seen plenty of examples of that company breaking its own websites, because they misunderstood their own code. It's no surprise that they aren't carefully checking IE for compatibility.

tl;dr IE isn't fully supported by Microsoft: they don't need to intentionally break it; it's going to break all on its own, because it's not keeping up with the internet's evolution.

Archived