Is there a reason WvW maps haven't been increased? — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Is there a reason WvW maps haven't been increased?

With the warclaw, it should have been obvious that more people would be playing. So, why aren't there more server/maps to let us actually play? For three days now, there hasn't been a minute where you could actually get in.

Comments

  • Daddicus.6128Daddicus.6128 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Of course. Why do you think I'm asking the question? The smaller servers are bigger now, and some could stand on their own (for a week or two). They should have performed a reset on Tuesday and probably again the next day.

  • Daddicus.6128Daddicus.6128 Member ✭✭✭✭

    That will work, but by then it will be idling back down. So, we'll have the opposite problem.

    The problem is the week-long lag. They needed to accommodate it.

    And, I can't wait a week. Today, there are only two realistic dailies that I can do in PvE, so I need to get into WvW.

  • Korgov.7645Korgov.7645 Member ✭✭✭

    There is EotM.

    Adding a new tier would require unlinking the 3 biggest guest worlds. Next relink time is 1.5 months away. By then the WvW booster and Warclaw novelty have worn off and the popularity plummets.

    Adding a second EB map per matchup is a complicated task. ANet would have to change many UI elements and the warscore calculation. This is way above PvE developers' skillset and there is only one WvW developer left. Who, I hope, is putting in some hours on the alliances feature.

  • @Daddicus.6128 said:
    That will work, but by then it will be idling back down. So, we'll have the opposite problem.

    No, we'll have a return to the status quo, along with whatever issues WvW had last month.

    The problem is the week-long lag. They needed to accommodate it.

    They really don't. It's temporary and anyone who really wants in... is getting int.

    And, I can't wait a week.

    Why not?

    Today, there are only two realistic dailies that I can do in PvE, so I need to get into WvW.

    Then queue for WvW while you do the "two realistic dailies."

    Are you really saying that you can't possibly visit Dry Top to complete 4 events? That map has events popping up often, with a convenient minute-by-minute guide of which ones pop up where.
    Frozen Maw also occurs every other hour. Are you insisting that you can't do that either?

    And if that's the case, what's the harm in skipping a day of dailies?

    "Face the facts. Then act on them. It's ...the only doctrine I have to offer you, & it's harder than you'd think, because I swear humans seem hardwired to do anything but. Face the facts. Don't pray, don't wish, ...FACE THE FACTS. THEN act." — Quellcrist Falconer

  • Inculpatus cedo.9234Inculpatus cedo.9234 Member ✭✭✭✭

    If no one can get in, how did all those Warclaws get acquired?
    Nary a wait for EotM, and only one thing needed in the regular WvW maps: taking a camp; that shouldn't be too difficult once the population recedes.

    Good luck.

  • Kal Spiro.9745Kal Spiro.9745 Member ✭✭✭

    That's weird, I've managed to get in without issue every day and I play during prime time, an hour after reset. When are you trying to get in that you have no capacity to do so?

    Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro - Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/NM |Daredevil|Ranger
    |Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist|Deadeye|Warrior
    |Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker|Weaver|Chronomancer|Soulbeast|Holosmith|Revenant

  • Daddicus.6128Daddicus.6128 Member ✭✭✭✭

    All night long. Starting about 4 PM US central, through to 2 AM. No gaps (until today; there's one right now).

  • Inculpatus cedo.9234Inculpatus cedo.9234 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Are you queing? How many people in the queue? My server has had queues, but the wait has only been less than half an hour for the longest que (which was about 40 people).
    Again, you can play in EotM whilst you wait and work on the Warclaw (if that's what you are after).

  • Daddicus.6128Daddicus.6128 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Less than half an hour? You lose all your accumulated points that way, in half that time.

  • So queue earlier in the day.

    Can't? Busy?

    Do it later. It's not going anywhere. Or sit in queue.

    Hell, right now, there's a BL without a queue on TC (last I checked it was high/full so), and everything else is under 10.

  • Inculpatus cedo.9234Inculpatus cedo.9234 Member ✭✭✭✭

    From the patch notes:
    Participation will no longer decay outside of WvW. As a result, rewards based on participation (pips and reward tracks) will be delayed until the next full tick when entering WvW from outside other WvW maps.

    https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Game_updates/2018-11-13#World_vs._World

    Also, if you weren't in WvW anyway, why would you have 'accumulated points'?

  • Daddicus.6128Daddicus.6128 Member ✭✭✭✭

    That's a good point, Inculpatus. I was mistaken, sort of. I was waiting in the Obsidium place, which counts for decay times. I just didn't think of it that way. Thanks for the correction!

  • Randulf.7614Randulf.7614 Member ✭✭✭✭

    I dont think extra maps would have been the right answer, esp as they have EOTM to be used as overflow. What i think they should have done, is changed the reqs to camp or shrine and had the npc there too. Plus make EOTM warclaw and double wxp event enabled.

    I enjoyed my EB runs and ill prob do more wvw because of it, but id have likely have blocked others less if eotm was more viable.

    What sleep is here? What dreams there are in the unctuous coiling of the snakes mortal shuffling. weapon in my hand. My hand the arcing deathblow at the end of all things. The horror. The horror. I embrace it. . .

  • Tyncale.1629Tyncale.1629 Member ✭✭✭

    I want to say that I LOVE the change that your points do not decay out of WvW. Doing certain Reward Tracks for some nice rewards in WvW and EotM just got a lot more interesting for this PvE-oriented player. Good move.

  • Urud.4925Urud.4925 Member ✭✭✭

    Queue times dropped really fast. There were 104 people in queue the first day, 56 the following day, and just 24 yesterday, at the same hour (at least on my server). Players who are only interested in the mount should stop playing WvW as soon as they buy it, so I don't feel asking ANet extra big work just for 1 week of long queue (although it would have been probably better to introduce the mount with the WvW restructuring, but not a big deal).
    Also I'm grateful that ArenaNet left 1 map without the warclaw. I never played much in HotM, and I think I'm going to switch from now on.

  • Towatha.4671Towatha.4671 Member ✭✭

    @Randulf.7614 said:
    Plus make EOTM warclaw and double wxp event enabled.

    Agreed. I mainly play WvW in GW2 and have my warclaw unlocked. With such high queues on Gandara over all maps I can't even play and don't to waste time in EotM without the buff. It's a shame really.

    "You're gonna get it, and I'm gonna give it to you."

  • Ashantara.8731Ashantara.8731 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 8, 2019

    @Daddicus.6128 said:
    With the warclaw, it should have been obvious that more people would be playing. So, why aren't there more server/maps to let us actually play? For three days now, there hasn't been a minute where you could actually get in.

    I think that'll settle once everyone got the Warclaw (not all new players who came in to get it will stick around and continue to play WvW). However, if I am wrong with my presumption, ANet will indeed have to do something about the queues. I got in fine these past couple of days (after waiting my turn), but it is literally impossible at the moment for a whole squad to jump from one map onto another.

  • Gehenna.3625Gehenna.3625 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:
    Wait a week.

    Pretty much this. I hate that it is this way now but it will die down and go back to normal I suppose.

    A much more interesting question is what they're going to do about the WvW exploits with the Warclaw mount. You can actually jump into some Towers and such bypassing the walls entirely. A good example is Quentin Lake in Eternal Battlegrounds. It has two open sides because it's higher up but on the south side you can actually jump into the location with a Warclaw completely bypassing the walls. A guy that was practicing it told me there were at least 9 locations where you could either bypass parts of a location or get right into it. I find that much more concerning for the long term.

    "In my experience, if you can't say what you mean, you can never mean what you say. The details are everything." ~ Minister Durano

  • Rasimir.6239Rasimir.6239 Member ✭✭✭

    @Gehenna.3625 said:
    A much more interesting question is what they're going to do about the WvW exploits with the Warclaw mount. You can actually jump into some Towers and such bypassing the walls entirely.

    Is that why they shortened the leap distance with last night's patch? I'd expect them to release fixes to that pretty soon. If you find such a spot, it can't hurt to send in a bug or exploit report though.

  • Loosmaster.8263Loosmaster.8263 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

    @Daddicus.6128 said:
    That will work, but by then it will be idling back down. So, we'll have the opposite problem.

    No, we'll have a return to the status quo, along with whatever issues WvW had last month.

    The problem is the week-long lag. They needed to accommodate it.

    They really don't. It's temporary and anyone who really wants in... is getting int.

    And, I can't wait a week.

    Why not?

    Today, there are only two realistic dailies that I can do in PvE, so I need to get into WvW.

    Then queue for WvW while you do the "two realistic dailies."

    Are you really saying that you can't possibly visit Dry Top to complete 4 events? That map has events popping up often, with a convenient minute-by-minute guide of which ones pop up where.
    Frozen Maw also occurs every other hour. Are you insisting that you can't do that either?

    And if that's the case, what's the harm in skipping a day of dailies?

    2 Mystic Coins and 2 Gold!!!

    Currently playing my Asura because my Norn on the Warclaw looks like it's sitting on a Chihauhau!!!
    Tactical Killers
    Server(DR)

  • Turkeyspit.3965Turkeyspit.3965 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 8, 2019

    My server is in T1, and an hour after server reset we only had a queue in EBG, compared to Tuesday/Wednesday when we had queues on all maps off/on all day long.

    In other words, it's getting back to normal.

  • Gehenna.3625Gehenna.3625 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Rasimir.6239 said:

    @Gehenna.3625 said:
    A much more interesting question is what they're going to do about the WvW exploits with the Warclaw mount. You can actually jump into some Towers and such bypassing the walls entirely.

    Is that why they shortened the leap distance with last night's patch? I'd expect them to release fixes to that pretty soon. If you find such a spot, it can't hurt to send in a bug or exploit report though.

    I believe it was discussed quite a bit on twitter already but yeah I would suspect that if they shortened the leap distance, that would be why.

    "In my experience, if you can't say what you mean, you can never mean what you say. The details are everything." ~ Minister Durano

  • @Loosmaster.8263 said:

    @Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:
    And if that's the case, what's the harm in skipping a day of dailies?

    2 Mystic Coins and 2 Gold!!!

    I think you mean 2 gold.
    And if that's the OP's gold, there are other ways to earn 2 gold that are quicker, since the OP has determined that the dailies are too long.

    "Face the facts. Then act on them. It's ...the only doctrine I have to offer you, & it's harder than you'd think, because I swear humans seem hardwired to do anything but. Face the facts. Don't pray, don't wish, ...FACE THE FACTS. THEN act." — Quellcrist Falconer

  • Loosmaster.8263Loosmaster.8263 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

    @Loosmaster.8263 said:

    @Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:
    And if that's the case, what's the harm in skipping a day of dailies?

    2 Mystic Coins and 2 Gold!!!

    I think you mean 2 gold.
    And if that's the OP's gold, there are other ways to earn 2 gold that are quicker, since the OP has determined that the dailies are too long.

    Yeah maybe it was from the daily log in reward. I just spam open them things now when I log in, don't pay attention to them that much anymore.

    Currently playing my Asura because my Norn on the Warclaw looks like it's sitting on a Chihauhau!!!
    Tactical Killers
    Server(DR)

  • Skotlex.7580Skotlex.7580 Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 8, 2019

    @Gehenna.3625 said:

    @Rasimir.6239 said:

    @Gehenna.3625 said:
    A much more interesting question is what they're going to do about the WvW exploits with the Warclaw mount. You can actually jump into some Towers and such bypassing the walls entirely.

    Is that why they shortened the leap distance with last night's patch? I'd expect them to release fixes to that pretty soon. If you find such a spot, it can't hurt to send in a bug or exploit report though.

    I believe it was discussed quite a bit on twitter already but yeah I would suspect that if they shortened the leap distance, that would be why.

    if that were the real reason, then they could revert the distance change after applying a better fix for the mount.

    Why can't they just disable dodging while airborne? I am positive that would correct all of the wall / jump exploits.

  • Gehenna.3625Gehenna.3625 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Skotlex.7580 said:

    @Gehenna.3625 said:

    @Rasimir.6239 said:

    @Gehenna.3625 said:
    A much more interesting question is what they're going to do about the WvW exploits with the Warclaw mount. You can actually jump into some Towers and such bypassing the walls entirely.

    Is that why they shortened the leap distance with last night's patch? I'd expect them to release fixes to that pretty soon. If you find such a spot, it can't hurt to send in a bug or exploit report though.

    I believe it was discussed quite a bit on twitter already but yeah I would suspect that if they shortened the leap distance, that would be why.

    if that were the real reason, then they could revert the distance change after applying a better fix for the mount.

    Why can't they just disable dodging while airborne? I am positive that would correct all of the wall / jump exploits.

    Well why do you think there is such a thing as dodging while airborne to begin with? Because it seems to me that it's there for a reason and then you're just trading one problem for another.

    "In my experience, if you can't say what you mean, you can never mean what you say. The details are everything." ~ Minister Durano

  • Skotlex.7580Skotlex.7580 Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 8, 2019

    @Gehenna.3625 said:

    @Skotlex.7580 said:
    if that were the real reason, then they could revert the distance change after applying a better fix for the mount.

    Why can't they just disable dodging while airborne? I am positive that would correct all of the wall / jump exploits.

    Well why do you think there is such a thing as dodging while airborne to begin with? Because it seems to me that it's there for a reason and then you're just trading one problem for another.

    Probably because that's the default behaviour for such skills, as that's how it works on the jackal.

    what kind of problems would be caused by disabling air dodges?

  • This is because of the hype surrounding Warclaw and the WvW event. Wait for that to die down, and you'll be right back here saying WvW is a dead game mode

  • Kylden Ar.3724Kylden Ar.3724 Member ✭✭✭

    @Daddicus.6128 said:
    That's a good point, Inculpatus. I was mistaken, sort of. I was waiting in the Obsidium place, which counts for decay times. I just didn't think of it that way. Thanks for the correction!

    Also note - WvW participation and EotM participation track separate. So you can go to EotM and not decay your core WvW participation. I do this to set up and test WvW builds before taking them to WvW proper.

    Leader of PvE/WvW Havoc Guild - Tyrian Adventure Corporation [TACO] - Kaineng since the start, and till KN is no more.

    Do not fear simplification of the game, there is elegance in simplicity that allows more time for playing and less time building.

  • Gehenna.3625Gehenna.3625 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Skotlex.7580 said:

    @Gehenna.3625 said:

    @Skotlex.7580 said:
    if that were the real reason, then they could revert the distance change after applying a better fix for the mount.

    Why can't they just disable dodging while airborne? I am positive that would correct all of the wall / jump exploits.

    Well why do you think there is such a thing as dodging while airborne to begin with? Because it seems to me that it's there for a reason and then you're just trading one problem for another.

    Probably because that's the default behaviour for such skills, as that's how it works on the jackal.

    what kind of problems would be caused by disabling air dodges?

    I don't claim to be an expert on ArenaNet's programming reasons but they generally make something for a specific purpose. When you take that something away it cannot fulfill that purpose anymore. One thing I can imagine is that it allows the mounts to pass through the aoe oceans that you see frequently. If you cannot use that jump skill to skip through damage it becomes a lot less effective. I admit I'd rather they do something about these aoe teams because it makes WvW rather stupid, but there you go.

    "In my experience, if you can't say what you mean, you can never mean what you say. The details are everything." ~ Minister Durano

  • Skotlex.7580Skotlex.7580 Member ✭✭✭

    @Gehenna.3625 said:

    what kind of problems would be caused by disabling air dodges?

    I don't claim to be an expert on ArenaNet's programming reasons but they generally make something for a specific purpose. When you take that something away it cannot fulfill that purpose anymore. One thing I can imagine is that it allows the mounts to pass through the aoe oceans that you see frequently. If you cannot use that jump skill to skip through damage it becomes a lot less effective. I admit I'd rather they do something about these aoe teams because it makes WvW rather stupid, but there you go.

    Well, in the end ANet has to choose how to deal with it, and what will suffer. For sure, they cannot allow mounts to bypass walls to go into the structures, so something had to change.

    1. changing the map structure
    2. Reducing leap distance
    3. remove air leaps
    4. Any other ideas?

    I personally think that they went for the cheapest to implement solution, so maybe they will readjust things in the future. Though there were many players who already thought the leap distance was too high, so at least this change was well received by said group.

  • Gehenna.3625Gehenna.3625 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Skotlex.7580 said:

    @Gehenna.3625 said:

    what kind of problems would be caused by disabling air dodges?

    I don't claim to be an expert on ArenaNet's programming reasons but they generally make something for a specific purpose. When you take that something away it cannot fulfill that purpose anymore. One thing I can imagine is that it allows the mounts to pass through the aoe oceans that you see frequently. If you cannot use that jump skill to skip through damage it becomes a lot less effective. I admit I'd rather they do something about these aoe teams because it makes WvW rather stupid, but there you go.

    Well, in the end ANet has to choose how to deal with it, and what will suffer. For sure, they cannot allow mounts to bypass walls to go into the structures, so something had to change.

    1. changing the map structure
    2. Reducing leap distance
    3. remove air leaps
    4. Any other ideas?

    I personally think that they went for the cheapest to implement solution, so maybe they will readjust things in the future. Though there were many players who already thought the leap distance was too high, so at least this change was well received by said group.

    Of course they went for the quickest and cheapest. I wouldn't expect anything else. Of course that's not uniquely ArenaNet as I've seen similar approaches in other games. Alternatively they could've made the leap slightly higher but a lot shorter just so you can clear small barriers so you won't get stuck and just have a second skill that's a speed boost on a cd. But also that takes more time and effort to do I'm sure.

    "In my experience, if you can't say what you mean, you can never mean what you say. The details are everything." ~ Minister Durano

  • Knighthonor.4061Knighthonor.4061 Member ✭✭✭

    I want a regular EB map for EoTM

  • I can bet the reason is the technology isnt there yet to have so many at once.

  • Handin.4032Handin.4032 Member ✭✭

    @Magnus Godrik.5841 said:
    I can bet the reason is the technology isnt there yet to have so many at once.

    It's also because anet has heavily heavily marginalized resources for WvW. WvW has only a single developer dedicated to it - so any big updates are impossible or super slow to happen. Anet does not see WvW as a way to generate revenue, so they don't invest in it (although that's a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy!)

  • Inculpatus cedo.9234Inculpatus cedo.9234 Member ✭✭✭✭

    And if they had, they'd be sitting empty now.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.